Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
also there is the smell of roasting peanuts when you drive by Bordens Peanuts, it smells so good.
Sunland too...that's what I miss is Valencia Peanuts!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingprettysoon View Post
I know this is a weird question, but with the dairy near by does it cause an odor problem in Portales?
For some reason when you live near a dairy farm, you become used to the smell quickly and stop noticing it.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:47 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Sunland too...that's what I miss is Valencia Peanuts!!!
They do have the best peanuts. We order them every year for peanut brittle. Peanuts, Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Diet

Old 01-11-2009, 05:19 PM

261 posts, read 936,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
I should have refrained from using the word "many" as I don't have a statistic indicating the actually number of plants that have been fined for this infraction, but I really try when I post information to not just run my mouth off and have some sort of backing behind it, unless I'm stating an oppinion.

Here are a few good articles:
The Empire Of The Pigs - TIME
This one contains the information on Seabord Corp.

Pork's Dirty Secret: The nation's top hog producer is also one of America's worst polluters : Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12840743/porks_dirty_secret_the_nations_top_hog_producer_is _also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters - broken link)
This one is about Smithfield. It says (p.3) one study puts the premature die-off rate @ 10%, but I'd need more information.

There seems to be a difference of opinion.

Quote:

Seaboard deserves credit for it's animal welfare program...
http://www.seaboardfoods.com/_FileLi...port_04-08.pdf

Old 01-11-2009, 08:46 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
There seems to be a difference of opinion.

LOL I'd hardly expect Seaboard Corp. to be biased against themselves. But anyway, I only brought up what I did at first because we were talking about smell and I don't want to hijack this thread too far into pig farming but if you want to continue to chat about it, feel free to PM me.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,338 times
Pig farms are an altogether different beast, or beastiality as in odor and pollution. Had not seen or smelled that on Eastern NM.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 PM

312 posts, read 1,017,853 times
Default 3.5 months in...

We just moved to Portales in October...

It smells from time to time. When I go out in my backyard, at times, I think.. dang it smells like a dirty diaper gone wrong. It does smell and it is windy .. like WAY windy. My "grass" is brown, which I hope to somehow fix when spring hits with heavy watering and prayer. I have small black dogs and they come inside, after some playtime in the yard, covered in "hay".

Never move to Clovis/Portales if you can help it... that is... if you have ever liked or kind of liked the color GREEN or having a medium sized city near. If you have to choose.. Clovis or Portales to live in.. I would always pick Portales. Portales is a small college town and it just feels so much safer than Clovis.

/Smile if you are going to be stationed @ Cannon AFB... we are trying and hoping/praying to get plucked out of here ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:54 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Is the ethanol plant still open?

When I lived in P-ville, the town stank pretty bad when the wind blew the right direction, but not from cows. It was the ethanol plant. Ick. Smelled like wet, moldy bread.

The worst thing about all the dairies in the area is the flies. More flies than you can imagine in the summer.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:06 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
And all along I thought that smell was Texas.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:24 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,061 times
Default An Old Friend

I use to have an old friend who lived in the center of N.M. and went to Clovis all the Time. He use to tell me all the time..... Cuando Vas Pa Clovis .... Vas Con el sol en los ojos Y Viences Con El Sol en Los Ojos. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico