Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,406,706 times

Advertisements

Here are a few of my favorites . . .

Cuando hay hambre, no hay pan duro.

En mi casa, mando yo . . . Que soy viudo.

De poeta, médico, y loco todos tenemos un poco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 PM

12 posts, read 63,550 times
Una Trabalengua/One Tongue Twister

I remembered a funny saying my grandmother used to say. It went like this.
Tranquilino fue por vino, quebro el vaso en el camino, pobre vaso, pobre vino.pobresito el Tranquilino.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 PM

181 posts, read 705,247 times
Default Don't go near the ditch when its dark outside...

Or La llorona will get you!! LOL, I grew up near the ditches in the N. Valley.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 PM

12 posts, read 63,550 times
What about El Cucuey or The Coco Man...lol I do remember the one about La Llorona.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,842,425 times
A few more:

Shave your child's head on their 1st birthday. This ensures a future of thick hair

Live fish in the house is bad luck; i.e. aquariums

Never put shoes on a table. This brings bad luck to the house

A ladybug landing on ones' left arm brings much good luck for the year! Must be left arm.

When seeing a funeral procession, hold onto a button or zipper until the procession passes you.

Rain on a funeral or during a wedding is good. Rain is a sign of life. Eternal for the dead and offspring for the newly married couple.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 AM

464 posts, read 1,153,173 times
Have No idea where this one comes from but; when in high school and driving around, we girls used to lift our feet into the air- off the floor, when we drove over railroad tracks?! Even the Driver! LOL
Didn't matter which friends or group I was with, we All did it.
Anyone have a clue what that was all about? I sure don't LOL

Tia Dalma

Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 PM

186 posts, read 637,343 times
When I was in junior high/high school we did the same thing - lift the feet in the air when crossing a cattle-guard or railroad tracks. Logically, I would think it's the idea that "your feet won't get stuck in the cattle guard/railroad tracks. Realistically, this is not feasible since you're riding in a car so I dunno lol.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:23 PM

215 posts, read 650,138 times
How about 'a stitch in time saves nine'.
or
'step on a spider and it will rain' (sorry Steve-O)

When serving tea at a chinese restaurant - the youngest should pour, bringing good luck.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM

146 posts, read 368,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQLifer View Post
Or La llorona will get you!! LOL, I grew up near the ditches in the N. Valley.
i also was told by my folks about the La llorona growning up in New Mexico *** get in the house befor the sun goes down or the La llorona will get you i told that story to my kids when they were little and it sure works then one day my son called my dad and asked him if this a true story ?? he told him yes then he tells my Dad *** but the La llorona is only in NM not in California right ?? my Dad said says.... she is everywhere ...... so long story short when the outside light came on the kids were in the house .......

Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,699,733 times
The La Llorona story seems to be everywhere . . . South Texas, NM, Arizona, California. Seems to go with the ethnic territory. Besides La Llorona, don't forget the chupacabra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico