Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 01:44 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,976,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nategdh View Post
Im going to ENMU right now as a full time student i do play football and there is absolutely nothing to do here in portales!!! I just joined this city_data thing (TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW) and have to say that all of us students wish this school was in Clovis..Me and some of the guys travel to Clovis everyday for lunch just for something decent ..we go to the mall there every now and than.. when we arrive in clovis it feels somewhat better.!.(1).they have way way way more "traffic" which makes you feel as if in a bustling city (2) they have many more stores to choose from when shopping..

Alot of these guys from Texas hate portales and sometimes quit school/football period because of it...4 out 9 coaches live in clovis and almost all the professors reside in Clovis..

..WISH WE WERE IN cLOVIS..!!

half of those Texas kids are from West TX towns just as small as Portales or smaller who get instate tuition to Eastern. They should be used to the small town enviroment.

and I agree there isnt much for college kids in Portales other than frat parties, I always wondered why they didnt have a few more things in P-Ville to eat and entertain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 AM

141 posts, read 378,972 times
Most of the students/professors/coaches ive met are from Clovis!! 33 players on the football team are from a metro area of either houston/dallas/san antonio/ or albuquerque!! NOT some lil west Texas towns..! We party during the week days cus on weekends everyone jets out of town!!! How boring is that!!??!! In the dorms with no one in there but portales kids that live in the dorms just for fun?? I leave on the weekends as well..Portales cant get anymore restraunts cus its tooooo smaaalll!!! The only thing here is ENMU thats it!!I like portales..sure I think its ok but would go to Clovis in a heart beat..!! And everyone here goes to Clovis for there shopping!! Not lubbock!! Not one person ive talked to from here said they would go to lubbock instead of Clovis.That lil flip/baby bash concert in Clovis last year was pretty cool..hope to see more concerts there soon when there event center is finished!!Just 2 more years and hopefully gonna teach.. maybe apply for at the new high school/middle school in Clovis that they are talkin abt building!!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:13 PM

153 posts, read 539,263 times
Kids who wish they were in Albuquerque in the hip hop bar, like to peel out and eat fast food think Portales is too small with just 3 bars (Dog House, Goobers and Cattle Baron) and 24 restaurants. Clovis has , let's see, five bars - one called Kellys that is usually pretty safe and a couple of skanky meth head/redneck bars on Mabry, plus Chilis and Applebees. Kids in Clovis who are just as bored and want to go to Lubbock or Amarillo, Kids in Lubbock want to go to Dallas, etc.Stuff to do??? I guess these guys don't go to any of the free concerts at ENMU, don't join social or sports clubs or ride dirt bikes or rodeo or any of that type of stuff. All of this is in Clovis too, but for the life of me other than the zoo, Dillards, Hastings Books, and 15,000 more people looking bored and a lot sketchier, I don't see a big difference in the "things to do" category. In fact, Clovis is a step down culture wise. The ENMU kids that seem to care about college and all the foreign exchange students seem to like ENMU and get involved in the school and community. You can see them at ENMU, at the giant sports dome, and in the bars and restaurants.And at least 90% of adults in Portales drive the 90 miles to Lubbock to do real shopping (i.e. a real entertainment district, real live music, lots of great food, all the big box stores, and 300,00 people) versus Clovis which has not much more than Portales and is somewhat sketchy at night.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,976,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New West 2020 View Post
Kids who wish they were in Albuquerque in the hip hop bar, like to peel out and eat fast food think Portales is too small with just 3 bars (Dog House, Goobers and Cattle Baron) and 24 restaurants. Clovis has , let's see, five bars - one called Kellys that is usually pretty safe and a couple of skanky meth head/redneck bars on Mabry, plus Chilis and Applebees. Kids in Clovis who are just as bored and want to go to Lubbock or Amarillo, Kids in Lubbock want to go to Dallas, etc.Stuff to do??? I guess these guys don't go to any of the free concerts at ENMU, don't join social or sports clubs or ride dirt bikes or rodeo or any of that type of stuff. All of this is in Clovis too, but for the life of me other than the zoo, Dillards, Hastings Books, and 15,000 more people looking bored and a lot sketchier, I don't see a big difference in the "things to do" category. In fact, Clovis is a step down culture wise. The ENMU kids that seem to care about college and all the foreign exchange students seem to like ENMU and get involved in the school and community. You can see them at ENMU, at the giant sports dome, and in the bars and restaurants.And at least 90% of adults in Portales drive the 90 miles to Lubbock to do real shopping (i.e. a real entertainment district, real live music, lots of great food, all the big box stores, and 300,00 people) versus Clovis which has not much more than Portales and is somewhat sketchy at night.

my dad still lives in Portales but dosent go very often to Clovis, theres not much more there,maybe a few more choices in restaurants. I agree with this post, it mostly depends on someones age, teens to mid 20's are always bored with where they are.I was told by a student at UNM that she wished she went to a smaller school like Eastern to get that true college town type experience.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 AM

141 posts, read 378,972 times
I agree with both of your replies about it depending on someones age!! I am 21 so yeah i fall right in that category.. but I still begin to differ abt Clovis not being better...when ENMU recruited me where did i spen my nights??? at a hotel in Clovis ?? where did we eat?? in Clovis!! I was in a program in joint efforts with CCC and they had just as much foriegn kids that i see here..And I admitt 2 brothers here from Oak Cliff in Dallas said Clovis has a really bad ghetto now that is sad...that is one reason why I am kinda glad that I am in Portales!! But to me Portales has nothin goin for it ...Again i like Portales alot

Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,257 times
Smile LOVE Ramstein Yard Sales

Hi! We are currently in Germany and will be moving to Cannon (Portales) in a few short months. I LOVE Ramstein Yard Sales - in fact, I was just on there today posting "moving" items. I have already sent my petition to start one at Cannon!! Yeah!!

Debbie Goudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiasmom0 View Post
I don't know how many of you are familiar with (fill in the blank)Yardsales.com We came from Germany and we had [URL="http://www.ramsteinyardsales.com/index.jsp;jsessionid=abcG-JZu9k8SA_tEXut6r"]Ramstein Yard Sales - Ramstein, Germany [/URL]If you have not seen one before take a look at this one. They are a great way of selling your stuff without really having the "yard sale" and a even better way of buying used stuff because people are moving. Well we don't have one here but the site says that if enough people put in that that they are at Cannon AFB or any base and want one they will start one here is the the link
[URL]http://www.baseyardsales.com/basemap.jsp[/URL]

So if you loved your last one or you are just tired of the junk
taking up space in your in your garage let them know we want one
here.
{{I don't own this site or make anything from you saying
want one I just saved a ton money and sold a ton of my junk on
the last one}}

Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 PM

18 posts, read 46,094 times
Im not military or anything but wanted to post anyways. Clovis is much better i just visited both 2 weeks ago and Potales is a nice small town with nothing but a university. Clovis has everything you need

Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 16,480 times
Quote:
Partying and drinking? Do you have any other hobbies? I mean, partying and drinking isn't really "stuff to do". If partying and drinking is your scene--good luck.

That's not very helpful. He's trying to let everyone know the type of lifestyle he's used to and if there are ways to continue... nothing wrong with liking to party hardy.

My advice would be to meet like minded people (they're out there) and organizing poker games, maybe get a little Rock Band going on with some booze to get things going. If you plan on buying or renting a house, try to get one with a big backyard or maybe a pool to have some parties. I went to college in the sticks and we figured it out... actually had some of the best times of my life. Just stick together.

That's what I plan on doing when I get out there in June.

Last edited by usafdave; 05-04-2009 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: forgot to insert quoted text that I referenced in my post

Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,869,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdave View Post

That's not very helpful. He's trying to let everyone know the type of lifestyle he's used to and if there are ways to continue... nothing wrong with liking to party hardy.

My advice would be to meet like minded people (they're out there) and organizing poker games, maybe get a little Rock Band going on with some booze to get things going. If you plan on buying or renting a house, try to get one with a big backyard or maybe a pool to have some parties. I went to college in the sticks and we figured it out... actually had some of the best times of my life. Just stick together.

That's what I plan on doing when I get out there in June.
He's definitely going to have an adjustment though.

When I got married, we moved from Albuquerque (Kirtland) to Moody AFB in Valdosta, GA. When I got there, we went out one weekend so my dh could show me around the nightlife there.

I cried on the way home.

That time we were there, childless, probably the most fun I had out at night was going to the bowling alley with one of us being the DD and drinking and bowling for a few hours.

The next time we got stuck there, we had kids, but we had childless friends who owned or rented homes and had BBQs and parties.

Letting go of the search for a great club or bar to go hang out at (like the guy is probably used to) is key - your suggestion about renting a house is a good one.

I think its going to be an adjustment for everyone coming from Hurbie to Cannon. We ended up at Moody b/c my husband's unit was getting moved from Patrick up to there - I never lived at Patrick as they moved up that summer I moved to Moody, but it was quite an adjustment for the other people.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:36 AM

74 posts, read 198,727 times
[
Letting go of the search for a great club or bar to go hang out at (like the guy is probably used to) is key - your suggestion about renting a house is a good one.

I think its going to be an adjustment for everyone coming from Hurbie to Cannon. We ended up at Moody b/c my husband's unit was getting moved from Patrick up to there - I never lived at Patrick as they moved up that summer I moved to Moody, but it was quite an adjustment for the other people.[/quote]

Someone said being at Cannon or any small base is a lot like an overseas base, which we've lived at 2 bases overseas. He said the military community is much closer and involved than at the bigger bases. While in Germany and England we made some of our best friends because of squadron BBQ's, family housing parties, also going on ITT trips all over as groups on the weekends. It really was a great and fun time. We were childless in Germany and that made it easier to see Europe and had our first child in England. He was easy to bundle up and still take around there as well.
We look forward to all of that in Clovis! Also getting involved with the local events, sports for our boys and making lots of friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico