Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 16,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
He's definitely going to have an adjustment though.
Oh yeah, no kidding. I've been rich and I've been poor... rich is better. Did 4 years of college in Prescott (back when it was WAY smaller than it is now), but most recently have been one of the lucky ones to be TDY to MacDill for 4 months. TAMPA IS CRAZY! As a single guy, I've had a GREAT time.

I'm not kidding myself on what awaits me in June, though. I really have no problem bowling, house partying, and making the occasional 4 hour drive for a weekend ski trip or going bar-hopping in Lubbock. I just hope there are people like ME out there. My peer group is shrinking as I edge towards 30!

A keg, a pool, and good fun people. Anything else? Who's with me?!?!??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,870,650 times
I hope so for your sake!

We had a great time at Keflavik. It was considered "forward" (not sure of the exact term) but the unit had no deployments. The mission was there, not in a no-fly zone or a combat zone. So, even though there were a lot of tdys it was not that bad.

Moody was not so great. The ops tempo was high (and I am willing to bet not much has changed).

You will have to keep us posted about Cannon. So far, my husband's AFSC has not been assigned there, but since one of the units he can go to is at Hurbie, it makes me wonder if some day Cannon may end up as one of the places where there is a unit for his job.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 AM

312 posts, read 1,014,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdave View Post
Oh yeah, no kidding. I've been rich and I've been poor... rich is better. Did 4 years of college in Prescott (back when it was WAY smaller than it is now), but most recently have been one of the lucky ones to be TDY to MacDill for 4 months. TAMPA IS CRAZY! As a single guy, I've had a GREAT time.

I'm not kidding myself on what awaits me in June, though. I really have no problem bowling, house partying, and making the occasional 4 hour drive for a weekend ski trip or going bar-hopping in Lubbock. I just hope there are people like ME out there. My peer group is shrinking as I edge towards 30!

A keg, a pool, and good fun people. Anything else? Who's with me?!?!??
Dude my husband and I enjoy all that ****.. well minus the bar hopping Shoot me a message when you get into town and we will invite you over for one of our Beer Pong/ Rock Band BBQ's

Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Dude my husband and I enjoy all that ****.. well minus the bar hopping Shoot me a message when you get into town and we will invite you over for one of our Beer Pong/ Rock Band BBQ's
I'm awful at Rock Band (minus the singing part... when properly boozed), but my 'pong skills make up for it!

Who else is out there?!?!? We gotta stick together! That's the ONLY thing that can salvage such a [insert favorite adjective here] assignment.

Do the townies hate military as much as I've heard? I can't assume they'll be friendly towards the single dudes swooping in to woo their women-folk (assuming there ARE any women-folk).

Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM

74 posts, read 198,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdave View Post
I'm awful at Rock Band (minus the singing part... when properly boozed), but my 'pong skills make up for it!

Who else is out there?!?!? We gotta stick together! That's the ONLY thing that can salvage such a [insert favorite adjective here] assignment.

Do the townies hate military as much as I've heard? I can't assume they'll be friendly towards the single dudes swooping in to woo their women-folk (assuming there ARE any women-folk).
We are Rock Band, Poker players as well, coming from AFSOC Hurbie! Our 6 & 10 yr old boys can shame some folks at RB! Too funny, BBQ's and friends, can't wait to meet new people! Oh yeah, we love beer and hanging out as do many people we know going there.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Default Rental Homes?

Okay, new question now that the word is out about getting fun people together for BBQ-action ...

I have literally SCOURED the internet for houses to rent while I contemplate buying in this decidedly "down" market. If the base is expanding as much as the AF hopes it to, buying a home wouldn't necessarily be a bad move, just not when I have no idea about the town. I'd like to rent first for 3-6 months.

NO APARTMENTS... I've moved on, frankly. Does anyone have a good source for renting a 3bd 2ba with a garage? Anything? I haven't yet talked to the housing office... maybe that's the way to go.

Thanks all!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,870,650 times
Have you checked this yet?

Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN.com) v6.0

I haven't used it but I have seen other people recommend it in the past.

I think my SIL used it to rent out her house in Tampa when they PCSed.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM

23 posts, read 62,650 times
AHRN doens't really have much. Do you have pets? If so, it will definitely be hard for you to find a decent rental. What is your rank? If you want... You can always buy a home www.territorialestates.com or get on the waiting list for Foxtrail estates. Foxtrail estates are condos for rent but there is a $500.00 pet deposit per pet. We are currently living in base housing since we are on a waiting list for both the foxtrail rentals as well as purchasing a house (the house we want is in Phase 2 and they haven't started that phase yet). Whatever comes first. So until then, my husband and I both decided to make our home on base the best we can.. That way his buddies can come over and do their thing.. we're talking, 70 inch tv, wii, rockband, grill, "MAN AREA"-with their beer fridge, and all that. He's going to have to party it up until my son is born..and then it will be a little different
We just got here on the 29th of April and it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's one of those places you have to judge for yourself. As far as bars go... there is pretty much one bar in the area--Kelley's- BUT it is on the "blacklist" for military. As far as drinking in restaurants--They probably won't allow you to do more than 2 shots and have more than a few beers. When we went to Chilis and Applebees the waitresses said there is a limit and they can get into trouble for it. Apparently there is a guy that goes around town and cuts people off. I forgot what his job title is. We went to Shoguns with a bunch of a people (since hibachi was our thing to do back in Florida) and that is probably the only place that allowed the guys to get NUMEROUS amounts of Sake and Beer for Sake Bombs ha ha.
Honestly, if you're looking to meet girls or hit up the bars your out of luck in Clovis. You'll have to travel to Lubbock or somewhere else. I'm sure you're going to know a bunch of people that are already here from your previous station so it won't be that hard for you to find something to do (that isn't in town hah).

Oh yeah.. I had an OB appointment the other day (Women's Health Clinic) and I've been hearing "rumors" about there being a daycare in the middle school and high school here So I asked my doc if the rumors are true and she said "I'll just tell you this... The majority of my patients are from ages 11-17" Apparently the pregnancy rates here are pretty high--They give birth to at least a 100 babies a month o.O

Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 AM

153 posts, read 539,322 times
Yep, lot's of alcohol and sex behind closed doors. Got to get the kids into sports or art or music or something.

Speaking of music, Portales has a new music venue and art gallery on the town square (607-7322). I think the owner is a California transplant. She has a huge entourage of musicians, college kids and artists that get together and jam and she attracts a few bands. Goober's in Portales seems to always have a band or open mike. If you go to th ENMU Music School there is a huge bulletin board of people looking for band mates, and it looks like dozens of bands are practicing in Portales and quite a few live here.

In fact, Portales has turned out a number of national recording artists like Third Day Rise (Metal Christian Indy), Ned Sublette (Cuban Cowboy), And Mason (folk and rock) as well as bluegrass, norteno, punk rock, etc.

It pays to walk onto campus and look at the announcement posters, because much of the good stuff like everything else around here is not advertised very well. For example, ENMU has some type of band or play almost every other week. Actress Michelle Tomlinson is giving acting lessons this weekend on campus (she is an ENMU grad) and Goober's hosted "Girls Gone Wild" last year. We saw Stan Kenton's big jazz band at the First Methodist Church smack in the middle of Portales for free, and if we had not seem the flyer across the highway we would have never known. Nothing costs more than $10-15 and most is free.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 PM

153 posts, read 539,322 times
Need a little vineyard culture in the "out there"? The Portales Wine Festival is a must see. This year the festival moves to an old storefront at 311 Main Street in the historic downtown area. For $25 you get 3 hours of wine, talk about wine, more wine, a live band, and food. AND, it is a charity event to benefit historic downtown redevelopment! Don't worry if you miss this one - it will be back again next fall. These guys throw a great party for a good cause, and this year Tularosa Vinyards is pouring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico