Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 03:25 PM

74 posts, read 199,731 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info about the doc, we already saw an allergy doctor here at Cannon. He wants to re-eval our son after a couple of months here to see how he's doing. He's had a few episodes but nothing too bad yet. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 PM

153 posts, read 541,222 times
Potentially good rumor that several builders from Texas and Albuquerque are zeroing in on Portales for homes that are 150-200. One builder is starting homes next to Cannon Meadows, and another in the Portales Country Club. We have a NV home that is totally upside down and bought a fixer in Portales and if luck is with us will have equity on ONE of our homes- the Portales one. I am sick of paneling but grateful. When the new stuff comes and if it is as advertised, we are in. Th NV home is screwed for a long time, but we have a good renter. WE saw NE Clovis and the builder had left a 2x4 out in the rain and was just putting it in. Yikes! And it was $180K for a small brick coffin.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,833 times
"WE saw NE Clovis and the builder had left a 2x4 out in the rain and was just putting it in. Yikes! And it was $180K for a small brick coffin."

This is not unusual around here. I can also confirm the Portales Country Club rumor...they are looking at building new houses there. A friend of mine lives on 16th Street and works as a mortgage broker, and is looking to move when the houses are finished. I am supposed to go talk to the builders when they come out for the development meeting to discuss energy efficient house building options in this area. The locals do not ake near enough use of Solar/Wind in there house design concepts, nor do they even know what Structural Insulated Panels are. These guys are supposed to be professional builders, but I have not been impressed.

Keep on trucking and good luck with the house!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,423 times
Talking Not looking forward to Cannon AFB but...

Hello everyone!

My husband and I will be PSCing to Cannon on Sept. 25, which we are certainly dreading. Not sure about how housing will work out (we would prefer to live on base or out of the town of Clovis since it seems that crime is so high around the area), but we've been told that the wait for on base housing is months long. I'm assuming that most folks get together for house parties/movie/video games/card nights and things like that? We are both young (hubby is 23, I am 21), and we're always open for any suggestions anyone might be able to give as far as entertainment.

Looking forward to making some good friends (seems like that is all that will come out of this place), do our time and get the hell out ASAP. Just wanted to say hello!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPar1027 View Post
Hello everyone!

My husband and I will be PSCing to Cannon on Sept. 25, which we are certainly dreading. Not sure about how housing will work out (we would prefer to live on base or out of the town of Clovis since it seems that crime is so high around the area), but we've been told that the wait for on base housing is months long. I'm assuming that most folks get together for house parties/movie/video games/card nights and things like that? We are both young (hubby is 23, I am 21), and we're always open for any suggestions anyone might be able to give as far as entertainment.

Looking forward to making some good friends (seems like that is all that will come out of this place), do our time and get the hell out ASAP. Just wanted to say hello!
I hope that you can come with an open mind. It seems you've gotten a lot of scary information so far.

My husband and I have lived here for 2 years in the northeast part of the city. No crime here. You'll always hear that if you stay above 14th you'll be ok. I wouldn't wander around Mabry at night, but I wouldn't wander around lots of places in lots of other parts of the country at night, either.

People are very friendly and kind here. Not so much on a neighbor-to-neighbor basis, at least where I live--people pretty much keep to themselves in this particular neighborhood. (In other nearby neighborhoods I see more people out in their yards, visiting from one house to another). However, if you get out in the community, join some organizations, and do some volunteer work you will find lots of very nice people.

It makes me sad to think that Air Force people are passing around these rumors and coming to Clovis with fear and loathing without actually having tried the place out. I would be sorry to think you were all huddling together out on the base because you thought that Clovis was fraught with crime and heaven knows what else.

You and all the others coming to the base are bringing a world of experiences to a very conservative community. I would hope that you would try to become a part of that community and make it a better place just by your presence.

I hope that you can try to get the most out of your stay here by coming with a positive attitude. I really do.

~clairz

Old 09-20-2009, 02:58 PM

The fear will subside once you arrive here, it's not as bad as people make you think. I don't know how long the housing list is now, get on it now though. You could rent temporarily in NE Clovis an apartment until you get a house. We did that when we were overseas and moved on base when it was available. We live in housing in NE Clovis and there is nothing more than normal small petty things that happen, mostly out of boredom of teens. That happens everywhere. We keep our patio furn outside and our garage open mostly and never have any problems. Living in Clovis would be best for you if you are young. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiefos View Post
The fear will subside once you arrive here, it's not as bad as people make you think. I don't know how long the housing list is now, get on it now though. You could rent temporarily in NE Clovis an apartment until you get a house. We did that when we were overseas and moved on base when it was available. We live in housing in NE Clovis and there is nothing more than normal small petty things that happen, mostly out of boredom of teens. That happens everywhere. We keep our patio furn outside and our garage open mostly and never have any problems. Living in Clovis would be best for you if you are young. Good luck.

did you hear that someone tore down 3 new houses that were being built in Clovis, probably some bored teens, they used heavy machinery it was reported. I dont know why I didnt think of this when I was a teen. We caused a lot of destruction but never like that, well close.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 AM

Actually, we live right next to new construction in the 801 houses and we heard of some smaller kids taking wood and also a industrial strength saw that had been left behind by the workers. We weren't that destructive either as kids, TPing cars and trees/houses, rotten eggs etc.... Some neighbors out here have had things stolen out of unlocked cars and off porches but that happens all over, it's like saying "Take me I'm yours"

Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,423 times
Hello again all!

Thank you so much for the responses. I try not to make assumptions for about a place before I get to actually see it for myself, but with all of the talk on this website, it's hard. We're not used to huge cities, but we try and make the best of what's around. We never mind a drive to do things (for anyone who has ever been to AL, there is not a lot to do) and weekend getaways are the best to maintain sanity.

As long as there are things to do, we'll be fine. Does anyone have any personal experiences with the local colleges? I've seen mixed reviews on ENMU.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:23 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiefos View Post
Actually, we live right next to new construction in the 801 houses and we heard of some smaller kids taking wood and also a industrial strength saw that had been left behind by the workers. We weren't that destructive either as kids, TPing cars and trees/houses, rotten eggs etc.... Some neighbors out here have had things stolen out of unlocked cars and off porches but that happens all over, it's like saying "Take me I'm yours"

well this was in Clovis and vandals had took the heavy machinery and rammed it into 3 houses that was under construction.

Im not talking about stealing either, thats just common sense, most people will steal anything that aint tied down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico