Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 02:56 PM

153 posts, read 539,223 times

Advertisements

They are showing up in Portales now, there is a construction crew from Farmington working right now near ENMU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 03:04 PM

153 posts, read 539,223 times
Default Clinics in Clovis/Portales

We got the low down through medical professionals and yes, Plains Regional has some rude people and is somewhat slow on the service and Roosevelt General, although a lot less crowded and newer, can be slow too. But unless the illness is a highly complicated one, there is really no reason to drive to Lubbock or Albuquerque to get perfectly decent care. We are also told that the care varies by doctor, which is expected anywhere.

Having said that, the best place we have personally tried is the Portales Medical Clinic in downtown Portales on Avenue A and 3rd Street. The physician running it, Dr. Jones, hates the healthcare system, is a very good doctor with a good staff, he takes walk ins and any insurance or no insurance, does not overcharge, and it seems that half the town goes there. We saw an old cowboy in there who was kicked by a horse and obviously had no insurance and after Jones fixed him up we overheard the billing discussion and it was $65. The little pharmacy is right next door (CJs).

The Women's Clinic in Clovis is supposed to be very good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra86 View Post
It's horrible here. I gave it a chance and didn't mind the area AT ALL... then I experienced the Emergency Room. Lets just say--if you're on your deathbed YOU WILL NOT BE SEEN. They will make you wait for 8 hours hah. My one week old son was screaming bloody murder (we were told to go to the ER by the base since it was afterhours). Well after waiting 8 hours and still not seeing a doctor we LEFT and went to the pediatrician on base (it was around 8am). The lady in the ER basically told us that a bleeding rectum in a newborn is normal and that he will heal. She was rude about it though---IT ISN'T NORMAL. Anyways... our friend experienced the same thing-- 103.9 fever, vomitting, passing out... and waited 8 hours as well. Nice huh? Apparently the ER in Portales is better but I wouldn't risk it--drive to Lubbock haha.

I honestly enjoyed Clovis up until then-- I tried to be optimistic but after dealing with such horrible service at the ER.. I can't anymore. What would have happened if it were something different? After the ER experience I started to look at the negative things of Clovis and there are A LOT. The crime is pretty high. There was a mass email sent to all of the airman talking about the "chavez west robbers". Apparently there was a 19-20 year old kid knocking on the doors in Chavez West housing (base housing) and if you didn't answer the door then "his pals" would show up and break in. If you did answer, the kid said he was in the lawn industry or tried to sell you things. Nice huh? I never answer my door and I could only imagine what could have happened.

The clinic on base is CLOSED on training days. Pathetic huh? I can understand having training days for other fields but not in medical. My friend had to go to the ER in Clovis (the one mentioned above) because the clinic on base was close--she had h1n1. Apparently the base commander doesn't care about the people here--he just has to make an "attempt" and act like he's trying to do something--and apparently it's not working. If he did care--he would do something about this base or at least NOT HAVE training days for the clinic! If we had an ER/HOspital on base it would be a lot better! It must be nice living in a nice house with a 2 or 3 car garage I'll stop ranting but I'm really hating this place now hah. I can write a lot more about the crime, drugs, and so forth--but I won't.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,975,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New West 2020 View Post
They are showing up in Portales now, there is a construction crew from Farmington working right now near ENMU.

is that contractor from Farmington building Farmington style homes(NM,stucco style) or Clovis style homes(brick-TX style)?

I hope they dont start changing the ways of the area.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 18,725 times
Default Medical info...

I was told by the flight doc on base, should you ever have an emergency go to the Portales ER, you will receive much better service and a better level of care. I went to the Women's Medical Clinic in Clovis and thought Dr. Alexander was great! BTW, does any ob/gyn really think it is necessary to leave the room so we can get undressed? LOL Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New West 2020 View Post
We got the low down through medical professionals and yes, Plains Regional has some rude people and is somewhat slow on the service and Roosevelt General, although a lot less crowded and newer, can be slow too. But unless the illness is a highly complicated one, there is really no reason to drive to Lubbock or Albuquerque to get perfectly decent care. We are also told that the care varies by doctor, which is expected anywhere.

Having said that, the best place we have personally tried is the Portales Medical Clinic in downtown Portales on Avenue A and 3rd Street. The physician running it, Dr. Jones, hates the healthcare system, is a very good doctor with a good staff, he takes walk ins and any insurance or no insurance, does not overcharge, and it seems that half the town goes there. We saw an old cowboy in there who was kicked by a horse and obviously had no insurance and after Jones fixed him up we overheard the billing discussion and it was $65. The little pharmacy is right next door (CJs).

The Women's Clinic in Clovis is supposed to be very good too.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 18,725 times
Default Is it really that bad?

Hi JPar,
Cannon is not that bad, to be honest there are far worse bases we all could be like Minot or in AK. Anyone feel free to chime in on USAF's worst bases. Really all cities have crime, you learn to watch your six and stay away from certain places, maintain good SA (situational awareness)--common sense living for our world today. We personally don't hang around or know any criminals or druggies so I don't worry about that. LOL We do live in the NE quadrant and three weeks after moving into our home my husband went downrange. I was a little nervous the first two weeks but realized how safe my neighborhood is! Our neighbor's dogs are the best security. I love the peace, quiet, and beauty. My neighbors rock!

As with any military assignment, it is what you make it. Maintaining a good PMA is key here. Is it Utopia? No, but is it like anything I have seen in Mexico, South America or India? NO WAY. ;c) Find a few good, positive friends to hang out with and you can have a great time. There are some great cities to see in the area. There are riding, hiking, whitewater rafting groups between all the NM bases that meet up occasionally. You have to find things to keep yourself busy, for me it will be my Master's degree.

If you have concerns about safety and crime there are many ways to avoid or deal with it to protect yourself. On that note, I am in the process of coordinating an SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape--required for all air crews) class for wives for the beginning of the year. The base fitness center offers Tae Kwon Do classes. If you don't have a fear of guns--email me, I'll give you details. As I mentioned above, having a great dog is wonderful security with companionship benefits. =)

I suggest you try this, believe all the bad and horrible things you have heard and you just might be pleasantly surprised by the good you will find. ;cD LOL You know, have low expectations so there is nowhere to go but up. All the people I have met in the city from our mayor to people in the stores have been sooo friendly and helpful. If you want to know where to buy or find anything, ask a local they will tell you where it is and who you should ask for when you get there! I have met so many fantastic people this way. The town is very receptive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPar1027 View Post
Hello everyone!

My husband and I will be PSCing to Cannon on Sept. 25, which we are certainly dreading. Not sure about how housing will work out (we would prefer to live on base or out of the town of Clovis since it seems that crime is so high around the area), but we've been told that the wait for on base housing is months long. I'm assuming that most folks get together for house parties/movie/video games/card nights and things like that? We are both young (hubby is 23, I am 21), and we're always open for any suggestions anyone might be able to give as far as entertainment.

Looking forward to making some good friends (seems like that is all that will come out of this place), do our time and get the hell out ASAP. Just wanted to say hello!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM

74 posts, read 198,709 times
If you have concerns about safety and crime there are many ways to avoid or deal with it to protect yourself. On that note, I am in the process of coordinating an SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape--required for all air crews) class for wives for the beginning of the year. The base fitness center offers Tae Kwon Do classes. If you don't have a fear of guns--email me, I'll give you details. As I mentioned above, having a great dog is wonderful security with companionship benefits. =)

Yes, it's our fault but sadly, my young son left his brand new razor scooter (less than a week old) on our back porch for a little while one day and now it is gone! I've never had that happen anywhere before! I guess I've been lucky but it's just sad.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,318 times
My family is moving to Cannon AFB, in December 2009! Im from Washington, DC n all i hear are the horror stories. And I cant find nething online as far as homes. I see alot of post were January of this yr. How have things changed so far. I would prefer a safer, cleaner, prettier place to have my kid in. I will be attending ENMU and my hubby will be on base...What are any reccommendations about living arrangements? i think i should come there n try to find something before i move my family there to with nothing...can someone help a stressing wife out!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:21 PM

312 posts, read 1,014,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listening.Bird View Post
My family is moving to Cannon AFB, in December 2009! Im from Washington, DC n all i hear are the horror stories. And I cant find nething online as far as homes. I see alot of post were January of this yr. How have things changed so far. I would prefer a safer, cleaner, prettier place to have my kid in. I will be attending ENMU and my hubby will be on base...What are any reccommendations about living arrangements? i think i should come there n try to find something before i move my family there to with nothing...can someone help a stressing wife out!

If you are going to be attending ENMU .. the mil. housing is super close to campus.

You sound like me a year ago

Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM

141 posts, read 378,938 times
Its gonna be real hard to buy a home in the near future here in Clovis/Portales. The base is gonna reach full capacity in 5 months I hope they figure something out. Good luck!!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 AM

576 posts, read 2,299,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nategdh View Post
Its gonna be real hard to buy a home in the near future here in Clovis/Portales. The base is gonna reach full capacity in 5 months I hope they figure something out. Good luck!!
I am happy to say that I have done my part and have sold my Clovis home to a nice young military fellow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico