Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,503 times

Advertisements

We're moving to cannon afb in oct, is the base housing situation still bad? My husband called the housing office, and they said the wait for housing was 14-30 days? From pictures and floor plans, I think we're going to put Chavez and Portales housing on our list. I have 3 kids, but schools don't matter because we homeschool I'm really hoping to have some good neighbors....we always seem to get stuck next to really mean, grumpy people...

We're coming from San Antonio, and will be trying to sell our house in 2 months No way we can afford to keep paying for this house after we leave, so we're prepared for a short sale or even foreclosure. I've looked at off base housing there, and we won't be able to afford anything we'd fit into, everything in our price range looks like a dump Please tell me it osn't that bad there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM

312 posts, read 1,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblessedmama06 View Post
We're moving to cannon afb in oct, is the base housing situation still bad? My husband called the housing office, and they said the wait for housing was 14-30 days? From pictures and floor plans, I think we're going to put Chavez and Portales housing on our list. I have 3 kids, but schools don't matter because we homeschool I'm really hoping to have some good neighbors....we always seem to get stuck next to really mean, grumpy people...

We're coming from San Antonio, and will be trying to sell our house in 2 months No way we can afford to keep paying for this house after we leave, so we're prepared for a short sale or even foreclosure. I've looked at off base housing there, and we won't be able to afford anything we'd fit into, everything in our price range looks like a dump Please tell me it osn't that bad there!!!

Clovis isnt as bad as people say it is.. well... if you want to be miserable here you will be.. if you want to make the best out of it .. you will!

Base housing isnt that bad.. as in the wait varies. I would not choose Chavez only because they loose power a lot.. water etc.. They have had a lot of problems with that. When its 100+ outside and you have no AC.. it sucks!

Portales is where we moved to when we 1st got here.. We ended up moving to CLovis because Portales was just way too small for us.

I am sure that when you come in .. if they offer you a home you might just take it so you dont have to wait. Dont worry because you can move right out of it if you like.. you do NOT have to stay in base housing for a year before you are allowed to move out.

The rental market here is crazy! Its very expensive! So I understand your concerns.

Good Luck!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:07 PM

462 posts, read 1,006,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Northanna is so right on so many counts. I laughed about the part regarding the liberal bumper stickers, but it is really true.

The main thing is this--and I've come to this conclusion after lots of thought and after living in Clovis for a couple of years because of my husband's job and then moving away: Do as Northanna says, and pretend that you are living in a foreign country. Respect the beliefs and the ways of the native people. They may not be yours, but they are the ways of people who were here long before you came.

Remember: They like the way things are here, and this is the way they have chosen to live. You may never get another chance to see such customs again; be kind, and take notes. But, just as when you visit any other really foreign place, don't be an ugly American and complain. You won't make any difference at all, and when you move away, you will leave hardly a ripple.

And everything in Clovis will be the same as it ever was.

By the way, it is a very restful place to live. No traffic at all, and no bothersome choices about where to go for food or recreation. Restful, restful.

~Clair Z.

Alas, I always enjoy this lady's wit and what she says is the truth... Some good advice...

Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,503 times
I'm no city girl so I think I'll be okay San Antonio scares me! Hopefully this time I can make some more friends that don't live on the opposite side of town-which here is a 45 minute drive! Not including traffic... I think I'm looking forward to a smaller area
Between Clovis and Portales, which is the nicer/bigger housing? And how are the yards? I know in Clovis you have to put in your own fence, if they are decent yards that's no big deal I wanted to live closer to the base, but if they are as bad as the pictures, no way.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,593 times
Question clovis/cannon move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
Clovis isnt as bad as people say it is.. well... if you want to be miserable here you will be.. if you want to make the best out of it .. you will!

Base housing isnt that bad.. as in the wait varies. I would not choose Chavez only because they loose power a lot.. water etc.. They have had a lot of problems with that. When its 100+ outside and you have no AC.. it sucks!

Portales is where we moved to when we 1st got here.. We ended up moving to CLovis because Portales was just way too small for us.

I am sure that when you come in .. if they offer you a home you might just take it so you dont have to wait. Dont worry because you can move right out of it if you like.. you do NOT have to stay in base housing for a year before you are allowed to move out.

The rental market here is crazy! Its very expensive! So I understand your concerns.

Good Luck!
My family will be moving to Cannon AFB soon and having a hard time deciding between the base housing areas. We're thinking of starting with base housing and if it doesn't work out then moving to off base housing. If we were to move off, in the future can we move back to base housing? We're also having a hard time choosing between on base housing vs Clovis 801 housing, is there a better school to go to when it comes to Middle schools? Any suggestions of advice would be helpful!
Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 AM

312 posts, read 1,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRox View Post
My family will be moving to Cannon AFB soon and having a hard time deciding between the base housing areas. We're thinking of starting with base housing and if it doesn't work out then moving to off base housing. If we were to move off, in the future can we move back to base housing? We're also having a hard time choosing between on base housing vs Clovis 801 housing, is there a better school to go to when it comes to Middle schools? Any suggestions of advice would be helpful!
Thanks

We started out in base housing.. moved from Portales 801 to Clovis 801 (The housing office needed a reason to allow us to move from base housing to base housing and we stated the tuition difference from ENMU - Clovis Comm. College) But honestly I was just happy to get away from Portales. Portales is a great tiny little town.. but everyone EVERYONE we would meet and like... lived in Clovis so it just made hanging out or even going to the bowling alley ... just that much more effort etc....

You can move out of Base housing and then back into it... you do not need to wait a year or anything like that.

Okay here is the down low.... Portales has nice housing but the paint on the homes are really bad.. it gets baked off in the summer time. Clovis 801 housing has siding.. and the wind blows some of that off... lol... Chavez West is off base housing right off of the base... but you loose power there often... ON base housing is super old.. and right now some of the homes ON base have to BOIL their water due to an issue they had there.

I would say... Clovis 801 is the best only because of location and community.

Marshall and Yucca. Marshall is where I think the Chavez West and on base kids go to (Middle school) and Yucca is where the Clovis 801 ppl go to . My kid is going into the 8th grade and goes to Yucca. She is loving it and has had zero issues.

Just so you know... k-6th grade currently go to elementary school.. then 7&8 go to middle and then there is another school for 9th graders called The Freshman Campus... Then high school is from 10-12... odd I know.. but from what we have been told they do that because it has something to do with the high school football.. which is fricken huge here.

I think I have answered your questions, if not reply!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 AM

18 posts, read 36,669 times
We just got a rental secured, and it was CRAZY how fast we had to get our paperwork in! We had to make the decision quickly, so these people aren't kidding when they say you have to jump on a property when it becomes available. We found one that was right at our BAH and in the location we were hoping for, so we went for it. Since we own a house in San Antonio, we did not want to buy right now.

But seriously, we asked about a few other houses and all of those had waiting lists or people who were willing to move in before us, so when we found out we were the first in line for this house, we moved quickly. Have your documents ready (LES, copies of driver's licenses, etc.) And we did all of this from FL....so if you aren't in town, be ready to email/fax stuff in. It wasn't hard. We got one of my hubby's old friends to see the place in person for us. Glad we got it...the realtor said she had no fewer than 15 calls about it the next day!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,094 times
The rental market at Cannon is BS. They need to raise BAH.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM

74 posts, read 267,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRox View Post
We're also having a hard time choosing between on base housing vs Clovis 801 housing,
The gov. is going to tear down all of the on base housing, except one.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 AM

153 posts, read 539,820 times
Despite some of the rosy postings, most of you will find that the traffic in Clovis is HORRIBLE for a town of its size. There is one main north-south drag, Prince Street, and it is is not wide enough to handle all the traffic that exists today. Plus, the city cheaped out and did not build a real center turn lane, which when it rains becomes a roller derby rink because you really can't tel where the striping is supposed to be. There are other north-south streets but they are not well-marked (one sits behind a McDonalds and has no large sign). As a result there is a long rush hour in Clovis and the commuting speed during these times is around 15 miles per hour. Of course the town is only 7 miles wide so your worst communte should be only around 30 minutes. Nonetheless Clovis has no freeway system, no ring road, no city planning, no turn lanes or median in the main drag, and a winding road that is not well marked , especially when it rains. Parts of Prince Road were recently redone with handicapped curbs that end in dirt piles, not sidewalks. Then there is the new "Intersection of Terror", sandwiched along Prince Road in between the new McDonalds and Walmart. A driver simply can't navigate the main entry to Walmart from south along Prince Street, or God forbid from directly across the street, safely because somebody (not a real traffic engineer) instead of widening the street properly, placed a 12 inche curb in the middle of a very busy section Prince Street, right where the center turn lane should have been, and painted it white to add insult to injury. The city really needs to demolish everything on both sides of the road and start over, or build a real highway system. Nobody should have to wait 10 minutes to get through an intersection in a town of 30,000 people. We usually shop in Portales or Lubbock just to avoid the nightmare of driving and parking in Clovis.

Last edited by New West 2020; 07-18-2011 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico