Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 PM

153 posts, read 539,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlesskiwi View Post
The 801 housing in Clovis is about 20 minutes away from the base-- that's with "traffic". Don't know about Portales to the gate-- but it seemed longer. To me, there seemed an abundance of traffic lights in Portales. Most of your shopping and dining is in Clovis. Also, most "air force community" (spouse group, play group) activities will be located in Clovis (besides on base). Just a thought.
The "traffic" in Portales during "rush hour" puts you at about 5-8 minutes to get through town. The 801 housing (Cannon Meadows) in Portales is about 18-20 minutes to the base. The best part is coming home to a university town where the university is walking distance from 801. The sports complex right next to Cannon Meadows has nice facilities and you can sign up for classes, fitness training, whatever very cheap. The ENMU Music Hall and Theater have events all year, and there are 4 museums, the library, student center, ball games, soccer leagues, and soon a newly remodeled indoor pool. There are lots of choices of social and cultural clubs at ENMU and in Portales. No crime to speak of. Cannon Meadows is very low traffic so safe for kids, and has a couple of pocket parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 PM

Default Portales Housing (non 801)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Check out Combs Properties in Portales. He is building nice new rentals behind the Super Save called Foxtrail Estates. I lived in one of them, nice place and quiet.
Rentals:
Foxtrails is 4 blocks to the supermarket and about 8 blocks to ENMU. large 3 br 2 bath with stainless and granite for about 995, and 2 bedrooms for about 800 per month. Last we checked they were all rented, but they are still building.

To buy:

Since Portales is a clean little town and growing, has a university, and home prices are still very low compared to the rest of New Mexico, chances are there is only one way for these prices to go. A garage in Santa Fe costs about the same as a 2/1 in Portales. Kid of hard to beat a $600 mortgage where you can rent the house for $800.

The neighborhoods to the west of Foxtrails (Yucca Estates and University/State Streets) have homes at around $85 per square foot- mostly 1970s but well kept up. There are cheaper neighborhoods all around ENMU, but it is student-ville so traffic and parking is more intense and there are some junky areas.

Territorrial Esataes is between the Portales 801 (Cannon Meadows) and the city's sports complex and Portales Country Club. For about $110 per square foot you get a fully brick house with high ceilings, granite, stainless, tile, masonry fence, 2 car garage and decent floor plans from about 1400-2200 square feet.

Oakwood Manor on the Southeast side of Portales has a few new homes and builder lots with the same price range of around $110 per square foot. Then there is the "ABC" street area south of University, the "Zodiac" streets" and if you want a real deal the "ABC" streets between downtown and University Drive. These are all about $60-85 per square foot, with the low priced units being fixers. The "ABC"s near downtown are a mixed bag (some nice, some rentals) but the area seems to be getting fixed up slowly - plus it is cheap cheap cheap - like as low as $65K for a decent small 2/1.

If you like horses, you can pick up killer deals in the boonies around town. The land hardly seems to register on the home price below 10 acres or so. If you go "rural", make sure there is a wind break because the wind is intense in the spring.

We hear rumors of new downtown condos but see no action yet.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 38,318 times
I just wanted to add one more thing. They have (for now) done away with the mandatory 12 month lease to live in base housing. I know the prospect of PCSing and then moving yourself after a few short months seems daunting, but if you can't find housing or if you're having a house built it's a lot better than living in TLF or a hotel room for a few months. It is a good effort on the part of the leadership here, IMO. If you want to get the base commander's take on the housing situation, follow this link:

Commentary - Do you have concerns about Cannon housing?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:27 PM

312 posts, read 1,014,658 times
Today my husband and I wrote down some addresses of houses that are for sale in Clovis. We only wrote down the houses that we liked (Online viewing etc) and that we could afford.

Needless to say we spent the better part of our day sighing and just shaking our heads. We are hoping the these houses look better on the inside.

/Sad Panda

Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 36,222 times
We ended up taking on base housing due to the fact that everyone and I do mean everyone on the rental list said no dogs or no dogs over 20 lbs. We have a dog that goes between 38-45 lbs. We took some pictures of her (a very small female boxer) and went to the house to talk to them with pictures in hand will for them to "interview" her as well. Not a one of them was willing. When we found out we were coming here we watched the rent prices soar and the list of what they would and would not allow (such as pets) grow longer. It really peeves me that they cried about hardship they would face if the base closed but the moment they find out it will remain open their house suddenly become to good for most of us.

I do love my on base house so I guess I can thank them for that.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:29 PM

7 posts, read 38,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiasmom0 View Post
We took some pictures of her (a very small female boxer) and went to the house to talk to them with pictures in hand will for them to "interview" her as well. Not a one of them was willing. When we found out we were coming here we watched the rent prices soar and the list of what they would and would not allow (such as pets) grow longer.
Unfortunately, that's the law of supply and demand. Short supply of rentals, high number of renters. It's just a LOT more lopsided here because the population is scant. Same thing with the price of new homes here. The bubble has yet to burst because the supply is down and demand is up. It's a great time to get your NM realty license! *sarcasm*

I hear you about pets, though. Nobody wanted to allow us our two big dogs-- regardless of how well-trained they are and how neat and clean I am. And when we got here, I refused to live in base housing because I was "housing spoiled" at our last duty station (my mentality has since changed). So, my family is caring for our dogs for a year, for which I am grateful.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 PM

312 posts, read 1,014,658 times
Yeah looking for a rental here that will allow dogs isnt an easy task. The only ones that we have found are the 1200 a month and then they have rules about no puppies or no larger dogs etc.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 36,222 times
I was handed a list of mobile homes that would take dogs from the housing office. When the woman handed it to us I thought well now that is the first time I have been given a mobile home option list by the housing office. We pulled up to the first one during a bad wind storm and most of the tumble weeds did blow right under the house and kept going. We decided not to look at the rest. LOL

Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,867,542 times
I'd be very wary of living in a mobile home in Eastern NM. Tornadoes are not unheard of there. I think you made a wise decision, esp since the house sounds like it was "mobile" instead of the way some people buy double wides and have them strapped down to/mounted on a concrete slab.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Agreed on trailers. You will hear the wind. Our first rental in Portales had old windows and even the sand came through the windows! Brick or stucco with good windows is best. Many interiors on houses below $100K in Portales are dated, like paneling and popcorn, but there are some really cute houses with higher ceilings and decent interiors. Plus- most of the affordable areas here are much safer than the comparable areas in Clovis judging by the news. North Portales used to be the hood and is still a little run down but the rest of town is nice, very nice, or mixed in appearance and much, much safer than S. Clovis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico