Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,490 times

Advertisements

Debbiefos - which property management company did you use in FL??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:25 PM

74 posts, read 198,753 times
Default Property Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberj1221 View Post
Debbiefos - which property management company did you use in FL??
We used Baywalk Realty in Bluewater Bay. The two guys are retired military and great. It is on the internet if you want to search it. Good Luck.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:07 PM

312 posts, read 1,014,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiefos View Post
To Fickle---"Last little tid Bit... if you have a choice.. DO NOT choose this assignment. If you do NOT have a choice... shoot me a message and we can drink the nights away .. and have some fun doing it."
Too funny, that's what I'm talking about! I will get up with ya when we get there. Did you get a house yet in Clovis? We are on the list for the 801 near Mesa, I hope we can get it.
Take care!

We are living in the Portales housing (Cannon Meadows). We have looked for a home in Clovis, however its not going very well. My husband is seriously looking at becoming a MTI to get the hell out of Clovis.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
We are living in the Portales housing (Cannon Meadows). We have looked for a home in Clovis, however its not going very well. My husband is seriously looking at becoming a MTI to get the hell out of Clovis.
Good luck, you sound just like me when we were at Mildenhall (AKA Moldyhole) England. It was like being in prison there. I made it the best I could and just went home to FL as much as I could. Our marriage survived because I just went when I needed to get away and left my hubby there to work. He didn't mind since all he did was work and be on the computer. We did travel some but it is very expensive in that country. I hope you can find ways to cope for your sake. I'm buying a bike to ride there and probably a go cart to take to the park there where they ride ATV's, whatever. I also plan to go shooting at the Patriot gallery place.

Take care.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:24 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,870,037 times
Hey Debbie, Mildenhall is one of the few places we can go. What was bad about it, what were the good parts? If we were to get orders there, dh would probably be away 3/4 of the time. Which really is no different than anywhere else we go, but just to give some perspective.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:58 PM

7 posts, read 38,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
Fickle--

I have a very good friend from LRAFB whose husband went TI the same time we PCSd. Be leery. Clovis sucks, but your husband being a TI sucks reeeeally badly. They scarcely see each other, he's got to play the role of counsellor to crazy messed up kids, he's "on call" constantly, it's nearly impossible for him to get any leave-- wait, it IS impossible for him to get any leave (she's due in April and he'll be lucky to get the full 10 days), the mentalities of the upper echelon there is horrendous, and did I mention they don't spend much time together? (to be fair, he does say minus the ridiculousness of the red tape, his job is very rewarding)

I'd much rather be here with my dh doing what he's doing (12 hour night shifts 4-5 days a week) than him be a TI. Plus, San Antonio is HORRIBLE for crime. You think it's bad here, the crime here is a joke compared to there. She has her conceal carry permit and she carries wherever she goes. Base housing there sucks (we just visited them, this is first hand) and is hard to get into. They had to stay in a motel for almost two months-- and they were extremely proactive about getting on the waiting list for housing. It was a big reality check for us when we went to see them.

I feel your pain about Clovis, I really do. But, IMHO, I'd rather be here than there. I think a marriage would have way more strain on it because of the TI job vs. the strain from living in a slow moving, stinky town.

I agree with you that this place will never, ever feel like home, but I think sometimes that is just the price some of us have to pay. And I don't know about your hubby's squadron, but my husband's has a great group of spouses that make it much more tolerable here. I've found, for me, it really only takes one good friend to make my circumstances bearable.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Hey Debbie, Mildenhall is one of the few places we can go. What was bad about it, what were the good parts? If we were to get orders there, dh would probably be away 3/4 of the time. Which really is no different than anywhere else we go, but just to give some perspective.
It's not so bad if it's your first overseas base, is what I've heard. We went direct from Ramstein to Mildenhall. COLA was the same at both bases but England was a lot more expensive to get out and about than Europe and the exchange rate was not great. It made it harder to get out and go than it was for us in Germany. At both bases my h worked very long hours and stayed TDY, that stayed the same. The base housing we were able to get in Eng was a 1 hour commute on country roads to the base and we were surrounded by fields and farms.(It was always raining by the way, you know how Eng is).
I only really could be friends with the women at the housing area, but I could have just been so tired of being so far away also. I also enjoyed our trips to London, Cambridge and the seashore, not all bad. I will say I am allergic to pollen and the rain kills me so that part was bad, our son was severely sick there and had migraines. I think it would be okay for someone w/o allergies and "new" to the overseas arena. Go for it! Don't let my exp sour you. I was ready to get back to US and the orders to Eng were a shock as well. Good luck. I'm happy to be going to Clovis, my h's family is form S.Ca so that will be nice for a change. Email me anytime.
Deb

Old 03-23-2009, 01:01 AM

462 posts, read 1,005,478 times
Wow, lucky you! Nellis AFB!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,870,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiefos View Post
It's not so bad if it's your first overseas base, is what I've heard. ...
thanks Deb.

Our first and only overseas base was Keflavik NAS. The P3s would take people down for shopping trips to Mildenhall LOL, so I assume it cannot be any smaller or more remote than Keflavik. I like the NM weather, so England is obviously not anywhere near the top of the extremely short list of overseas assignments (right now, there are two: Mildenhall/Lakenheath, or Kadena) we could get.

Depending on how much of AFSOC they move to Cannon, it could end up being one of our assignments. Right now, my dh's AFSC is not there.....yet. You will like the dryness compared to the UK. We moved to NM from a swampy area in the South, where you it was recommended you get your asphalt roof shingles pressure washed with bleach water every few years to keep the mold at bay. Gross. Everything outdoors got covered in mildew spots. so nice not to deal with that here.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 PM

[quote=lisdol;8010359]thanks Deb.

Our first and only overseas base was Keflavik NAS. The P3s would take people down for shopping trips to Mildenhall LOL,

It's pretty bad to have to get a plane ride to shop, I'd say it tops the list of not good! We've heard Japan is great as well, up there with Germany on the "we loved it" list. A good friend of ours just got orders there from Eglin, he was burning out at the sq here, needed a change. I'd say he got it.

We do look forward to dry and not humid for a change. We also like slow pace small town living so we're in there, it makes up appreciate our family more and make great friends. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico