Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,870,037 times

Advertisements

Our NEX was awful. It was considered part of the VA region (as in Virginia) as opposed to Europe, so we got summer clothes in the summer (when the highs were around 50 degrees) and stock was pretty bad. I think a ship brought stuff over once a month.

With online shopping now, though, and little stuff out on the economy from stores like Hagkaup (if Iceland's economy has not run it out of business) it would be easier. The base has closed though.

Good luck in Clovis. I keep checking every now and then if there is any word of dh's job moving there. I like to know where we might go so when we do get orders I have a bit of a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 PM

312 posts, read 1,014,903 times
I think he is leaning towards staying here. So yeah... we are looking for a house to buy in Clovis. The only reason we have finally chosen Clovis v/s Portales is because ............. When we start to think of "Going to the big city" and the city we are talking about is CLOVIS.. its time.

/sigh

Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,135 times
Unhappy Newbie

Gosh, talk about depressing ....we we're stationed at Holloman AFB from '99 to '05 and thought that was bad enough...just to get outta there we put in orders to do the MTI stint in San Antonio...but after you've done everything here there is to do (maybe takes a week) then it's nothing but humid...now lucky us, just received news that we will be heading to CLOVIS/CANNON; my Mom came to visit us while we were at HAFB and commented that it was the "armpit" of the world, well now we'll get to see her sister city! Cannon sounds awful. I called there to the housing office and was told that the Pentagon was just there due to the fact that there are so many more people slated to come there just in the next 6 months, so they wanted to see what could be done about housing???? she said about 500 more; and that's probably just airmen, not counting their famlies! So, can anyone give me an update on this place? I was also looking for a piano teacher on base?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM

74 posts, read 198,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyone View Post
Gosh, talk about depressing ....we we're stationed at Holloman AFB from '99 to '05 and thought that was bad enough...just to get outta there we put in orders to do the MTI stint in San Antonio...but after you've done everything here there is to do (maybe takes a week) then it's nothing but humid...now lucky us, just received news that we will be heading to CLOVIS/CANNON; my Mom came to visit us while we were at HAFB and commented that it was the "armpit" of the world, well now we'll get to see her sister city! Cannon sounds awful. I called there to the housing office and was told that the Pentagon was just there due to the fact that there are so many more people slated to come there just in the next 6 months, so they wanted to see what could be done about housing???? she said about 500 more; and that's probably just airmen, not counting their famlies! So, can anyone give me an update on this place? I was also looking for a piano teacher on base?
Here goes the cliche, a place is as bad as we make it. Yes this is a big move of people all at once but I'm thinking that will create many new opportunities in the community to grow and get things started up. My son plays piano and yes we are lugging it all the way from Florida. Also they are looking forward to making new friends and exporing the area. We couldn't sell our house here so we rented it and I'm hoping to refi and lower the payment so we can make it better out there. We got on the housing list there for 801 Clovis housing in Jan but if we can't get it we plan to try buying in that school district. I have written my life story in other posts on here. I was wanting to know things about the area such as little league, soccer and other things. My oldest son is in the gifted program here and on the academic team at school so I was concerned. I wish you all the luck and maybe we will get to meet sometime.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:23 PM

153 posts, read 539,322 times
Why live in the armpit when Portales is so much nicer and also closer to Lubbock? We hardly ever go to Cloviss unless we have to go to Lowes or have a soccer game for the kid. In fact if you live in Portales it is easy to forget that Clovis is there unless you have to drive through it. Once you get used to living in a town where there are two of everything, then Portales really can grow on you and the quick route to Lubbock (90 minutes along Highway 202- not on the map search engines) seems pretty easy.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Hey, IDK

I just was told by my son's teacher here in Florida, and she has taught at Mesa, that he needs to be at that school. I'm sure we will be down in Portales hangin out with friends!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM

486 posts, read 838,535 times
School Ratings according to greatschools.net (out of 10)

Ranchvale Elementary - 10 (On-Base Housing kids go here)
Zia Elementary - 10
Mesa Elementary - 10 (Next to 801 Housing)
Barry Elementary - 9
Sandia Elementary - 7
Parkview Elementary - 6
Highland Elementary - 6
James Bickley Elementary - 4
Lockwood Elementary - 4
Cameo Elementary - 3
La Casita Elementary - 3

Yucca Middle - 8 (801 Housing district)
Marshall Middle - 5 (On-Base Housing kids go here)

Clovis High - 7

Old 04-02-2009, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,135 times
Thanks for the 411 on the schools...can anyone tell me about the base housing? what will they do with all the influx of new people they are anticipating?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
School Ratings according to greatschools.net (out of 10)

Ranchvale Elementary - 10 (On-Base Housing kids go here)
Zia Elementary - 10
Mesa Elementary - 10 (Next to 801 Housing)
Barry Elementary - 9
Sandia Elementary - 7
Parkview Elementary - 6
Highland Elementary - 6
James Bickley Elementary - 4
Lockwood Elementary - 4
Cameo Elementary - 3
La Casita Elementary - 3

Yucca Middle - 8 (801 Housing district)
Marshall Middle - 5 (On-Base Housing kids go here)

Clovis High - 7

Thanks so much, now we can relax a little bit more. I am a teacher as well and hope to get on there for work. I am working on my application to send in very soon. Great information!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:08 PM

I am a member of a CannonWives group on FB and someone said Chavez West and Portales/Clovis 801 housing still had plenty of room last they heard. You could call the housing office, I'm sure the number is on the af.mil website. See ya there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico