Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 AM

312 posts, read 1,014,658 times

Advertisements

So

We moved to NM almost 4 months ago from Germany.

We have all heard the gasps and the "I am so sorry" replies from other military members when they hear that we have gotten orders to Clovis, NM.

Here is the run down that we never got.

There is on base housing- old and going to be torn down soon.

There is housing less than 5 min from the front gate, they are not single houses---- you share a wall. A lot of people choose this place to live. This housing area has the better elementary schools (Ranchville) - Not so good socially Middle-High. You do have a VERY VERY small fenced in yard.

There is some housing North and East of the town. This particular housing has more of a town house kind of feel to it, there are no fenced in yards (unless you pay and install it yourselves) and it is very compacted. Near to a Elemtary School. Some houses are updated and some look like they are from the 70s (indoors).

There are some nice stand alone homes in Portales (11 miles from base). Large back yards and THE LARGEST FLOOR PLANS avialable<---(ask for different floor plans). This is the best place to live if you do not mind driving a small bit to the Lowes or mall (the locals call the mall the SMALL or the HALL in Clovis) It is easier to get away with not mowing your grass everyday or getting out the ruler to measure how much your grass is over standard here... its alittle more laid back.( as in it is nice looking just not with the AFB nazis rolling around all the time......) In Portales housing you can almost see the College from your driveway (3rd largest College in NM btw).

Also~! Never EVER!!! clean out your garage, open your garage door, and lay your belongs on/near the grass......... people WILL come by.. drive and park... and WALK into your garage/yard .. trying to buy something from you...
Its hard to turn down the 3rd sad story you hear from a chic thats from BLAHBLAHBLAH and has no $ and she has 2 babies... oh and she will always leave a house cleaning card with you. (BTW we gave away so much stuff that day, it is hard to be "WTF" when they bring kids with them.) IT has happened to MANY people we know.

Portales has a wonderful small town feel. Clovis (NORTH CLOVIS) has a nice feel as well, a bit larger tho.

IF YOU ARE DRIVING INTO TOWN FOR THE 1st TOWN............ IF YOU ARE COMING IN VIA THE PANHANDLE............ DO NOT CRY..... THIS PART OF TOWN IS HORRIBLE.... DO NOT CRY... Yes I know you are not visiting, this is your NEW HOME for about 4 years.... YES I know its horrible and lonely looking... IT does get better..!!!!!!

If you come into this town/place with the idea that .. there has to be somebody else that is just as unlucky as you are.....

Shoot me a message!!! haha

btw, I love kids & have some, sitting outside, drinking, Rockband, Poker, and anything else you have to offer

Oh and yes ... please do comment on how much I am wrong. That is if you LOVE CLOVIS and think it is AWESOME and how I should just keep this stuff to myself...

I would of loved to have someone like me when I heard that we are moving to CANNON AFB / Clovis NM!

/Huggles and Kisses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,015,119 times
Good post. You have a great attitude on looking for the good side of things.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:38 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,759,825 times
I liked living in Clovis/Portales. Though not military, I had a pretty enjoyable time exploring the extents of the state. I felt safe walking the town, which is more than I can say living back here in Akron, Ohio.

People who gripe about boredom have no internal creativity spark, are dependent, and have no place living in sparse settings.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 AM

908 posts, read 2,844,337 times
Great post Fickle and nice move on the short/informative title. You'll be doing those that have to follow you a service...and speaking of that, thanks for your families service.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,699,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
People who gripe about boredom have no internal creativity spark, are dependent, and have no place living in sparse settings.
Boredom is indication of a lazy mind. People who need lots of external stimulation should not live in rural or small town setting.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,867,542 times
Glad to hear you are liking it. We *might* (depends on how much of AFSOC they move there) end up at Cannon at some point in dh's career and, though I have never been there, I thought Portales would be a good choice.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,973,334 times
I am from Portales, I love the town but I hate Clovis.

and when I was bored in Portales I would go find some trouble to get in to.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
I think I could get to like clovis and/or portales but there is No way I could tolerate the Air Force. The shipboard (Salvage Tug Preserver, Repair ship Tutuila and the Riverine Forces RVN) , Navy was bad enough.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 PM

312 posts, read 1,014,658 times
Yeah my husband did 8 years in the Navy before he switched to Blue.

I says often how he loved the Navy and wishes he stayed.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:19 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,867,542 times
Aw c'mon. The Air Force is the best service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico