Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times

Advertisements

I suggest reading "Annals From a Past World (may not be exact name)" by John McPhee for an eminently readable summary of the geology of the United States.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 PM
HTC

27 posts, read 140,866 times
I was told in geology class that bedrock for the rio grand river in The albq. area is about 3000' down. If you just look at the sandias and surrounding mountains I can beleive it.

Gordon

Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 PM

3,556 posts, read 10,183,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
That Yellowstone situation is very, very real. It WILL blow at some point
but as long as it's not in the next couple decades, I ain't gonna be very
concerned.

If you want to get an idea of just how massive these volcanic situations can
be, about 1/2 of India is actually lava flow.

- Google Search (http://tinyurl.com/6vbtz9 - broken link)
Very scary stuff.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:51 AM

464 posts, read 1,153,323 times
This is a great and interesting thread! Luv it :

I get alot of information from the USGS sent to me.
I'm signed up for the EQ notices/alerts for various sections of the planet with them too (some days Alot, some not )

You can sign up for such things at http://earthquakes.usgs.gov
(there are links available with some EQ alerts, to the Tsunami Alerts stations as well)

Pick your perimeters and countries or portions of the USA for E-notices, which is sort of cool to get them even before the news services put them out.
Even pick the 'strength' levels for the noticed you'd get too. Very detailed selections.

I also visit this site often for the "ups and downs" LOL
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo (specific to Yellowstone)
(one of my favorite Nat'l Park )

They have a tremendous amount of info there and alot about the recent "swarm" since round Christmas day. Updates and all. Excellent maps for the swarm area, etc.,

There is a special section on the Supervolcano too
She's rockin' and rollin' right now fer sure

Check it out, I think ya'll will enjoy it!

Tia Dalma

Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest reading "Annals From a Past World (may not be exact name)" by John McPhee for an eminently readable summary of the geology of the United States.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

PS, Thank you Greg very much, for the Book recommendation!

Tia Dalma

Old 01-15-2009, 06:17 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,311,564 times
That must mean that thar is gold in them thar hills!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
I was told in geology class that bedrock for the rio grand river in The albq. area is about 3000' down. If you just look at the sandias and surrounding mountains I can beleive it.

Gordon

Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,311,564 times
Can you give us the link of where to sign up for alerts? I couldn't find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
This is a great and interesting thread! Luv it :

I get alot of information from the USGS sent to me.
I'm signed up for the EQ notices/alerts for various sections of the planet with them too (some days Alot, some not )

You can sign up for such things at Welcome to the U.S. Geological Survey Earthquake Hazards Program
(there are links available with some EQ alerts, to the Tsunami Alerts stations as well)

Pick your perimeters and countries or portions of the USA for E-notices, which is sort of cool to get them even before the news services put them out.
Even pick the 'strength' levels for the noticed you'd get too. Very detailed selections.

I also visit this site often for the "ups and downs" LOL
Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (specific to Yellowstone)
(one of my favorite Nat'l Park )

They have a tremendous amount of info there and alot about the recent "swarm" since round Christmas day. Updates and all. Excellent maps for the swarm area, etc.,

There is a special section on the Supervolcano too
She's rockin' and rollin' right now fer sure

Check it out, I think ya'll will enjoy it!

Tia Dalma

Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 AM
HTC

27 posts, read 140,866 times
google earth also has a very goor earthquake option.

gordon

Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 PM

Hi HighDesert, I looked into why the info isn't available like it used to be, as you mentioned.

I've gotten the notices for about 6 years Long time.

About 2 years ago? there was a change for the servers and notice sent to update my preferences etc. so I did. I've not changed anything Since then. But today checked on that program and it's different now (again).

They've gone to the Listservers Feeds systems, as well. Which means they send it To an outside source and you'd get it third hand. As Gordon mentioned Google is one, but USGS is the Main source from which, all others get their information
I, still get the actual EQ Notifications, on my desktop.

I found the New program to download IF you want it from USGS. At least I found the page/site from them with the PDF and downloads etc
It's sort of 'buried'. I think after "the Tsunami", they got blasted with lots of sign-ups and visits tc. Might have overload the old servers?

The link on the Main home page of USGS/earthquakes Still has the link there but it would not work for me. Called ENS (earthquake notification service).
I have it on each of my notices too. But it is non-tranferable and specific to My prefernces anyway.

So looked around and found the New program. I hope it works for you. Please let me know if you are sucessful with it Ok?! I might dump this old one and upgrade to it myself. But I hate messing with a good thing myself, LOL

Try this link Ok?!
http://www.seismosoc.org/publication...l_79-1_es.html
(this is dated 7-08)

It's included on that page, okey dokey?!

As for any of the many many methods of Feeds & Data & Formats, go here and take your pick! (I like the second one I posted below, better)

http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/eqcenter/catalogs

And, I like this page/selections below, even Better, if I was going these routes ( I really just barely tollerate technology! LOL )

http://www.usgs.gov./rss/default.asp

I hope this New information helps ya'll!

Please let me know if these help! If not, I'll look through my older program, links, for more information. (sometimes I don't think they get everything moved to the new programs!)

PS,(I'm closer to the New Madrid, so I've got an interest in these rockers personally too Lordy helps us if it, decide to do it's Big thang again Whoa! )

Tia Dalma

Last edited by TiaDalma; 01-15-2009 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: PS :)

Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
Earthquakes are cool. I can just sit there and let the planet shake my martini.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico