Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:37 PM

25 posts, read 92,785 times

Advertisements

I grew up in S. California & lived in Japan....no feakin' way I miss the quakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 PM

12 posts, read 49,266 times
I just have to add my 2 cents to this earthquake discussion. After living for a few years in the Bay Area of California (Oakland/Berkeley) back in the mid-70's, I decided to leave California and move to Socorro (lived there for a year to become a resident, then started going to NM Tech for, of course, Geology), where I felt my first ever earthquake, this was back in 1978 thereabouts. I didn't know what was happening, all I know I felt the ground shake, heard a trememdous grumble from all around, it lasted for just a few seconds, but that experience is still with me. Of course, that was nothing compared to what I felt in 1989, after I'd moved back to California, and was smack dab in the middle of the Loma Prieta quake that devastated San Francisco and parts of Oakland. I check the USGS recent earthquakes almost daily, just checking in to see where and how big the latest quakes are.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:23 PM

107 posts, read 343,604 times
Default Any Earthquakes in ABQ? New Mexico?

Coming from Georgia the biggest natural threat we have are tornado's and occasional flooding.

My wife is happy to be leaving the greater threat of a tornado. She asked "what is there in N.M? Tornado's?" I told her the climate for NM isn't condusive for a huge threat of tornado's, but I suspect there may be quakes. Is there any truth to my assumption?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 PM

801 posts, read 2,205,844 times
Albuquerque gets a tornado (usually weak) every 10 years or so. Most New Mexico tornadoes are in the eastern counties. The tornado frequency increases pretty steadily as one heads east toward the Texas border. Earthquakes have done damage on occasion, especially in the region south of Albuquerque, near Socorro. In the 20 years we've been here, we've only felt one minor quake (about 15 years ago). But, a geologist I know seems to think ABQ is due. So...I actually have earthquake insurance on my house. I don't really expect a quake, but that's just the kind of neurotic person I am, and if I canceled the insurance, it would cause a quake...and everyone would blame me.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,220,917 times
There is an 'active' faultline in the Rio Grande Valley (it is a rift valley) but as mrgoodwx said they tend to be mild. I recall seeing a map of quakes in the Middle Rio Grande Valley. Most of the activity was around Socorro and the Richter scale measurements on the big ones were around 4.x.

I experienced a 4. earthquake once. In New York City. I wouldn't worry about it.

ABQConvict

Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,737,240 times
We recently attended an Albuquerque-area geology lecture at the Museum
and there are dozens of small fault lines all through the area. As was pointed
out above, Albuquerque sits in a rift valley about the same size as the famous
East African Rift although that wasn't really recognized until fairly recently.

I was here for an earthquake in 71 and it didn't do much real damage.

There are several threads on this forum about earthquakes; here's one that
covers the subject pretty well..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...rthquakes.html

Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 AM

184 posts, read 802,936 times
KOB.com - 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes near Carlsbad (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1487894.shtml?cat=500 - broken link)

4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes near Carlsbad

Posted at: 03/27/2010 7:43 PM | Updated at: 03/27/2010 9:30 PM
By: The Associated Press

[SIZE=1]The quake was centered about 20 miles northwest of Carlsbad.[/SIZE]

CARLSBAD, N.M. (AP) - A relatively small earthquake struck about 19 miles northwest of Carlsbad in southern New Mexico on Saturday.
The U.S. Geological Survey (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1487894.shtml?cat=500# - broken link) reports the 4.3-magnitude earthquake occurred just after 6 p.m. in a "very remote location."

Dale Grant, a USGS geophysicist, says a number of people (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1487894.shtml?cat=500# - broken link) in the area reported feeling the quake for about five to six seconds. There were no reports of injuries or damages.
Grant says 10 earthquakes of similar strength have hit the area in the last five years and that Saturday's quake was "not extraordinary by any stretch."
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Old 04-29-2010, 09:41 PM

152 posts, read 318,469 times
Albuquerque has very mild earthquakes maybe once every few years, but in general there are no real natural disasters to speak of here.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:04 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,594,003 times
Default Raton Earthquake damage?

Any news or comments about the effects of the Southern Colorado earthquakes?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM

18,172 posts, read 25,721,287 times
I posted on the 23rd in the Colorado forum on this. Thanks for starting the thread Greg!

The earthquake was 25 miles northwest of Raton near the Colorado town of Segundo. Segundo does have lots of homes with cracked walls and chimneys but thankfully no injuries were reported. There is a sizable story in todays Raton Range, the town paper on this. It was reported to be 5.3 on the scale. Apparently no property damage in Raton but a lot of frayed nerves, I'm sure. Trinidad does have reports similar damage to homes and businesses, again thankfully no injuries to report. According to the story there were several small quakes (2.1 to 3.0) before the 5.3 one hit. This area has had sizable earthquakes before, I believe the last one was 2005. And of course it was felt in a sizable stretch in Colorado and south of Raton. And there also were rockslides on the roads (Interstate 25 at Raton pass) and Colorado 12 which goes through Segundo, but the road crews got those areas cleaned up.

The only one I can think of on City Data who lives in Raton is Hopeful Transplant. The last time she logged on was August 4th. Hopefully someone who lives there can weigh in here. I know BrianH lives in Clayton, 80 miles east of Raton on U.S. hwy. 87. Brian, whatcha got on this?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-26-2011 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico