Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid during the last ice age we had to sweep the frozen CO2 out of the cave some mornings. Now that is brisk.

Tia - I just read a nice story about an elderly (29+ yr old) horse being rescued by a local fire dept. The horse apparently slipped on some ice in the pasture and could not get up so the owner had to either call the fire dept or the vet. She called the firemen and when they got there they said. "We have never rescued a fallen horse before." They decided to just work their way under the critter and help it stand up by pushing and lifting. Eventually the old horse regained her feet and was walked "corralled" carefully back to the barn. The other horses went nuts when they saw her. She is now confined to the barn until spring.

Looks like the old grey mare will have a few more summers giving kids rides. Some stories just make ya feel better about things.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
EP is sounds like you have a crawl space and no basement (where our furnace and piping systems would be)?
Yep, but believe it or not, that thing is as warm as can be. Pipes freezing for whatever reason in my house have turned out to not be a major concern. And believe you me, my friend...if those things were going to freeze, they'd have frozen by now!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
EP we used to use engine heaters that we plugged in. I am sure some one up there can tell you about them. Those are the only cars that started in the cold weather. Good luck tomorrow!
Thanks chile.

Believe it or not, that dang Subaru started without a whole heckuva lotta effort. Real air temperature when I was out there this AM? -11 degrees, with wind chills in the -32 range.

Believe it or not...TYPICALLY in the Milwaukee area, most people don't use battery warmers (at least most I am familiar with), as it is brutally cold here but usually not *quite that* cold to be a major concern (more useful in places like Northern Wisconsin / the UP / the Dakotas / Minnesota)...however, I sure could've used one this week.

Gotta make it through one more night and then we should be good. I gained much confidence in my truck from last night though. Blanket, don't fail me now!!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
For some reason I had you pegged as a VW guy. Guess not.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
EnjoyEP: Thanks for the info. I would have thought that the cold, thickened oil would have been the main impediment to starting a car in such conditions, not the battery. And the fact that you use 10w-30 surprises me (yes, 10w-30 is thicker than 5w-20 or 30; the lower number is the oil's grade when cold, the higher number when hot). All I can say is I'm glad I'm here, where a temperature below +20 F is uncommon. (But then I pay for it in the summer.)

Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
For some reason I had you pegged as a VW guy. Guess not.
I would've pegged myself more a VW guy too, but my wallet doesn't quite as much!!

(Plus, I really do enjoy the heck out of my Subaru)...

Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
(But then I pay for it in the summer.)
At least you don't have to drive on "summer snow", "summer ice", etc., etc. And things are still green and growing and alive. Excessive heat stinks, but not quite as much.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 PM

265 posts, read 873,484 times
Here in NW Illinois it was -24 with a wind chill of -41 this morning. ALso 1-2 feet of snow on the ground. All county roads are snow packed and slippery. No money for salting. I only go into town once a week for groceries , medicine, and gas. Rest of time I am staying home. Sure wish i was in that cold snowy Ruidoso right now.

Jim

Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Heck, I don't know how y'all live in Chicago. Even that's too cold for me!
Lets see... a handful of sub-zero days (theyre alot more rare than you think) to live near one of the WORLDS premier cities? I think I can suffer a few days a year.

I know that in a few weeks I can wear a lighter jacket, and a few weeks after that Ill be in shorts and enjoying 75-85 degree temps for several months.

Back on track regarding the cold... holy crap!!! This is the coldest I think Ive ever felt it get here. Theyre talking -30 windchills tonight. Tomorrow is the last cold day, then next week we'll be back in the upper 30s and maybe some days in the 40s, which oddly will feel downright balmy after tonight! hahaha

Strange, eh?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 PM

464 posts, read 1,156,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lets see... a handful of sub-zero days (theyre alot more rare than you think) to live near one of the WORLDS premier cities? I think I can suffer a few days a year.

I know that in a few weeks I can wear a lighter jacket, and a few weeks after that Ill be in shorts and enjoying 75-85 degree temps for several months.

Back on track regarding the cold... holy crap!!! This is the coldest I think Ive ever felt it get here. Theyre talking -30 windchills tonight. Tomorrow is the last cold day, then next week we'll be back in the upper 30s and maybe some days in the 40s, which oddly will feel downright balmy after tonight! hahaha

Strange, eh?

Hi SteveO, yeah Chicago is great and for lots of reasons, definitely no disagreement there, but you can always Visit it, LOL
I also got to the point tho, beside the approx. 8 year cycles of Cold with lots of snow or just plain Cold winters about every 3 years; the Summer humdity was/is a killer. That's gotten worse imho too. And the high dew points WITH the heat. Heck even the Corn wilts!
Frost bite or heat stroke, take your pick

I wouldn't pull those shorts out just yet SteveO, I think we'll get hit hard again next month. Oh and just wait for the early Spring ice flows :P Can you spell Floods (again)
We've got snow coming in tonite AND the cold. But those warmer temps next week do sound nice.

Naw, I've had my fill of the Northern "weather" period. Did my time LOL

Stay warm SteveO

Tia Dalma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico