Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,081 times

Advertisements

Can anybody recommend a good RV park to stay at for about three months? Just what do snowboarders do during the winter? Do the snakes show up in the winter? Maryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 16,239 times
I have a brother who moved to Deming several years ago and loves it. I have spent months there in my rv and found it to be a nice area. My only complaint was the wind....it seemed so windy all the time.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Bringing this thread up to date.

John1881, this is one of many threads that specifically talk about the Deming area on a variety of subjects. I pulled this one up as it has 102 replies. Now it is dated somewhat, the last post was nearly a year ago, so it won't answer your question regarding unemployment AT THIS TIME anyway.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:06 PM

38 posts, read 111,110 times
Thanks Double H! Enjoyed reading.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,692 times
To those of you considering Deming, New Mexico:

I must admit that I smiled when reading the comments about Deming. I raised three daughters in this city and have been trying to get back ever since! You know the type of town where you can greet people, go to coffee and walk to the store. This is Deming. Is it perfect? No. Nearly perfect, yes. This is New Mexico desert where the sun shines consistently, the wind blows (sometimes horrendously) and the price of living is suited to those on a tight budget. I was a long term substitute teacher here and the schools are excellent.

There are acres upon acres of agriculture here from our famous New Mexico chili, to Pumpkins, watermelons, onions, etc. Deming is diverse in nature, attracting the snow birds and the cultures from South of the Border. This is one of my favorite reasons for loving it so much.

It isn't a perfect city. But I could walk to the grocery stores (before Walmart came in and closed all the small ones down and I spent months reading all the pioneering books at the OLD Deming Library that was located in a residential area prior to being moved to main street. They have a golf course, walking areas that would astound you, a theater, a bowling alley, a beautiful senior citizen complex, a lovely public pool, many parks and friendly people.

Do they have crime? Sadly, what American town doesn't anymore? But you can still get to know your neighbors, attend the local churches and wave and be waved at by locals.

My dream for my daughter and I is to purchase a home in Deming and move back as quickly as possible. We prefer that the town stay small. I don't know where the "horror" stories here came from but you can safely ignore them. We lived by the old elementary school on Birch about 10 years ago. You will grow to deeply love the area for what it stands for. Te Amo Deming!

Old 07-07-2014, 04:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,692 times
Smiling! No there are no snakes in the winter time! What to do for fun? Let's see....you can live cheaply and spend your money traveling to see the many "enchanting" sites of New Mexico. Take a trip to White Sands. Spend the day playing golf in Deming. Get a cup of chatter and shoot the breeze for the morning. Volunteer at the famous Deming Musuem. Go Rockhounding at Rock Hound Park. Go hiking in the Florida (Flor-Reeda) mountains. Take horseback riding lessons, go swimming at their modern pool. There's a skateboarding park, a cinema, a bowling alley, Las Cruces is only 45 minutes away. Go skiing in Ruidoso, see aliens at Rosewell, New Mexico. Visit Carlsbad Caverns and hike down miles of caves. Visit Albuquerque's Popejoy Hall for Broadway performances, have local coffee in one of Deming's many excellent cafes. Safely sit under a tree and read a book, gain a new perspective on who you truly are, not formed by what you have. This is New Mexico. If you are looking for fancy to define you, head the other direction. We want warm smiles and basic necessities in life. I'm a native New Mexican who has lived all over the country and I ALWAYS come home. Now that I am a bit over 50, I will stay here in my native state to enjoy the best part of living here.Afterall, where else do you find sand the color of snow, sunsets that literally explode color across its horizon, mountains with stunning pine trees, lakes filled with Rainbow trout, hiking, snow fishing, skiing, mountains, desert, big cities and small cities. There is theatre, live music, wonderful food. The sun, the smiles, the lack of pretentious behavior. Most of all, know your value by the friends you make and the warmth you feel with such wonderful people. You can't buy it, as it is priceless! If you are looking to be impressed by "things"...go elsewhere. I guarantee you will NOT be happy here if money buys you happiness. The spirit soars freely here.

Last edited by Ladynm101; 07-07-2014 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,338 times
Default To Ladynm101

Wonderful description of your town Lady nm 101.My wife & I have been visiting Deming for about 6 or 7 years. We checked out most of southern New Mexico & have found our niche in Deming. We have some family in Deming and have met some very nice people. I agree with everything you say and look forward to retiring comfortably in Deming in a year or two. We will be snowbirding at Desert Vista RV park in Jan. & Feb 2015. Again thanks for the positive view on Deming.

Bankman

Old 06-30-2017, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 994 times
I moved here a year and a half ago from Wyoming and love it. There is some crime but you'll find that everywhere. The cost of living is reasonable but hard to find employment if you're not bilingual.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:50 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
We retired to Las Cruces over 5 years ago.
We find Deming to be a great town----nice people, some fine restaurants, and a very nice change of pace.
I agree there is some crime, but it is certainly not a crime infested area. Like Cruces, a lot of the crime is crime of opportunity. Don't give someone an opportunity and you will be ok.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:20 AM

356 posts, read 502,436 times
Be fun to see some more comments on Deming in 2017 vs. 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico