Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:08 PM

977 posts, read 1,946,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
How about the victims of these criminals? Do you think some of these criminals care about their victims?
And that is the argument that is lost on so many (all) of the proponents of "restorative justice." They become more concerned with the rights of the perpatrator than the victim. In my opinion...if you take someone else's rights or liberty by committing a crime against them, you are volunteering to give up yours. Deal with your pink underwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:17 PM

622 posts, read 1,718,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
In my opinion...if you take someone else's rights or liberty by committing a crime against them, you are volunteering to give up yours. Deal with your pink underwear.

LOL Love it!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:19 PM

717 posts, read 1,949,548 times
One of the principal reasons I left Corrections/Police work was because of the "program oriented" incarceration models popular in the eighties and nineties. Inmates easily could manipulate and navigate their ways through the system by plugging into certain "rehab' programs, religious fraternities and vocational incentives. Many of these offenders managed to get many years reduced from their prison sentences by playing these games with gullible social workers and prison administrators. It was disgusting to watch these cunning individuals load up on bible studies, sexual assault diversionary programs, multiple work lines/high tech educational programs (including advanced computer programing and other IT training) and various other touchstone training sequences which ultimately knocked big time off well-deserved prison terms. Often these former offenders would revert right back into lives of criminality...and with a big difference: they were now much better educated/skilled, networked with other criminals, physically very fit from years of working out daily in prison gyms and frequently skilled in many areas of expertise they previously had not the slightest knowledge of!!! Super criminals (!!!!) the bleeding heart social workers made sure would expeditiously return to a neighborhood near you!!!! I got a serious belly full of this BS and left the field entirely, pretty much in disgust.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:50 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,760,338 times
Some of the new road infrastructure projects that are going to be implemented by the new administration can be handled by prison help, here's a promo...

YouTube - Cool Hand Luke: The Tar Sequence

Kinda looks like New Mexico!

If it costs so much to keep them indoors, we can rotate them around the clock outdoors at gunpoint working on these projects, so that it will eliminate prison crowding. After their shift, they will be too tired to fight. When they come back to sleep, their bunk is warm, freshly vacated by the other prison shift to pave the next mile of road. Lifting weights in the "yard" is BS...and a waste of productive energy....put them to work, in hot pink skivvies. If they whine, threaten to put lace on the sleeves. Seriously!

If they run to the woods, start a shovel fight, bag 'em. Make them aware of this rule beforehand.

A lot of soldiers coming back from Iraq and elsewhere will have a hard time adjusting to civilian life. They for sure can handle this type of "crowd control" as prison security...why not???

If being harsh is hip on the street, let them know it is not fun when they commit crime, and get committed to prison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u-I0...eature=related

Last edited by newmex; 01-23-2009 at 08:20 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 01:13 PM

Can't believe my cat just unhooked my surge suppressor and wiped out all my work!!!

I'll re-post an abbreviated version.

I once worked in a Correctional work camp in Hawai'i. This place was/is off the scale in permissiveness for hard core inmates. The Administrator, who shall remain nameless to protect his guilt and my status, was an Ex-Marine and fitness nut who jogged uphill everyday to work, smoking a cigarette, 17 miles!!!!!!!!! He also held a Master's in History and was a former teacher/H.S.principal. Despite his hard core background he made every effort to cave into inmate grievances, complaints, desires, demands, whims and caprices. I cannot tell you how many ridiculous grievances I had to process as a result of these inane policies!

Additionally, the facility Had a Full Court first class Basketball Court (!!), a Weight Lifting Gym better than any in Hilo at the time (!!!), a Golf Course (!!!!), and a one mile long jogging track(!!!!!); the place was populated with Herculean inmates! I knew one Samoan Double Murderer who, at 290 rock hard pounds, could bench press 600 pounds and dunk a basketball!!! He was as strong as two NFL linemen! How, pray tell, does one control such a behemoth if he refuses to capitulate??? He was certainly not the only super strong and fit inmate...there were several! Most of the staff were out of shape and only a few of us were radical lifters ourselves... very scary situation to be quite sure!

Furthermore, we featured Degree Programs for the Inmates on the Public Dime! Various work line and vocational programs as well!!! Some of these inmates left with degrees and several acquired skills! Incredible! All this as punishments for CRIMES folks! Some of these jerks actually did not want to leave when their times came!!!!!!! This is not justice people...this is a travesty of justice and an insult to victims of crime. It disgusts me beyond words.

P.S. By the way, all the recreational facilities of this criminal Valhalla were off-limits to staff! Only I defied these rules and worked out in the weight room beside these inmates...at some risk to myself I suppose.

Last edited by dracul; 01-24-2009 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: my cat unplugged me!

Old 01-24-2009, 03:08 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,278,564 times
I used to enjoy watching the tv show 'Cops' but when the cops had to become mamby pamby and treat the criminals nicely, I got bored and stopped watching it.
I'm not into violence but when someone is breaking a law and a cop is trying to stop him/her, why be nice? Criminals aren't nice people and deserve to be treated and brought down by the law or any other decent person.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:11 PM

702 posts, read 2,288,897 times
I once knew someone who spent 3 months in Phoenix's Tent City jail and I relished every moment of his incarceration. Three years would have been more appropriate. Numerous DUI convictions and other stuff. When he was released, I heard all the horror stories. Yes, they are given pink clothing to wear - pink boxer shorts, pink tshirts. They also make license plates and apparently there are rats running all over the place. The food is cheap, processed crap and inmates have to work for and pay for items like soap and toothpaste. The tents do not having heating or cooling, so those who end up there during the summer are going to be sitting in tents in 120 degrees or more.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:34 PM

My heart bleeds for them fnord.....NOT! Our inmates were so spoiled they enjoyed overloading their trays with food items, paid for entirely by tax dollars, and wasting most of it...throwing it into many 55 gallon slop drums. We ended up trucking this tremendous waste up the volcano to a clearing in the rain forest where hundreds of feral pigs awaited us...HUNDREDS of them!!!! They nearly bathed in the slop these miserable, ungrateful inmates wasted. It was a frightening sight to overturn these barrels of wasted food and see the black porcine hordes nearly killing each other to get to it! If any of us had fallen from the trucks into the melee we would have been devoured along with the mess!!! Memories.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:55 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,571,930 times
I think that was a setup video by Joe and DMX...Joe has been known to take it easy (even when he says he doesn't) on celebs if they repay him with free publicity.

DMX got a grand total of 90 days in jail on charges of drug possession, theft, and various other charges (remember...he has prior convictions).

Joe had Glen Campbell do a concert for the citizens of tent city (Glen Campbell was arrested for and convicted of aggravated drunk driving. A charge of battery to a police officer related to the arrest was later dropped.).

Quote:
The Phoenix New Times reported that rather than placing Campbell behind bars or in tent city, Sheriff Joe put him up in the Mesa Hilton for the period of his sentence. Before his release, Campbell gave a free 30 minute concert for about 1,000 inmates at Joe's tent city jail.
Mike Tyson spent a total of 24 hrs n jail.
Quote:
The 41-year-old boxer pleaded guilty in September to one count of felony cocaine possession and one misdemeanor count of driving under the influence.

He was sentenced to one day
in jail for the DUI charge and to three years of probation for the drug charge.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 AM

3,556 posts, read 10,183,514 times
What's that movie where they drop-off prisoners on a deserted island? Somehow one of the prisoners is also an inventor and tries to escape... that's all I remember. Any guesses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico