U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 PM

20,583 posts, read 22,739,853 times

Advertisements

So, we have looked at some previous posts...Looked on the web... and are now looking at job opportunities.

I am a special education teacher and my wife is just few credits short of her bachelor's degree in education.

We are kind of set on the Four Corner area (just because?) and any info that is current would be appreciated..

We are currently in Michigan (oh so close to Detroit) and have two dogs ( a plott hound and grey hound / lab mix) ....

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 01-19-2009 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM

622 posts, read 1,495,546 times
I'm going to be moving to Farmington in a few weeks myself! I've gotten alot of information from this board, and it's been really wonderful because I've gotten to share thoughts with many interesting- and nice! people from NM. I feel like I've made a bit of a connection to my future home (which I'm moving too site unseen, and moving like that sort of mildly freaks me out). It also helps me feel like I'm doing something productive to help me in and towards the move, especially since my hubby is already in NM. Makes me feel closer than I actually am. lol
I've found the farmington newspaper- Daily Times to be interesting to read. I also sent away for the relocation guide from the Farmington Chamber of Commerce, and the vacation guide from the New Mexico Tourism Department - love the vacation guide! Very nicely done. Their website is also nice to browse: New Mexico Tourism Department.
Since I'm an outdoorsy kind of chica, I also really liked looking at the website of New Mexico State Parks: Index. I can't wait to get out and start exploring. This site also is about parks, but I don't think it's a state site: New Mexico State Parks - StateParks.com This is the national park listing: National Park Guide

You said your wife is still in the process of getting her bachelors, check out San Juan College. San Juan itself is a two year school, but it has programs in conjuction with other universities in NM. NM Highlands U, NM State, and U of NM all have educational degree programs you can take from the San Juan College campus, including masters and doctorate programs. I was pretty happy when I found that out, as I'm still in school myself and was wondering how the heck I was going to finish because there aren't alot of options in the area. University Programs

Anyway, I hope this gives you some ideas. I told you about things that interested me, well, because they interested me, but if you want to know some more specific things, there are alot of knowledgeable people here. Just throw out!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:40 PM
HTC

27 posts, read 128,658 times
Come on out !!!
The weather is tolerable year round, The food is good ( once you get used to green chiles in everything ) hunting and fishihing is great, Duango ski resort is about an hours drive to the North and believe it our not the indians won't scalp you.
You can see forever and if you like to look at the stars at night you will be real happy. There is a good housing market, hospital, 4 grocery stores, a mall, 2 super walmarts and we even have indoor plumbing ( just being a smartass ) You will enjoy it here.
Kirtland is about 6 miles west Aztec/Bloomfield are both about 10 miles east.

WELCOME
Gordon

Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Awaiting job search

My sister-n-law was in the area last summer and was just geeked when my wife told here where we were looking. We have always loved New Mexico ad wife has never been and I was there way back in 1976ish.

We plan on spending the week looking at job boards (any teaching jobs?) I am applying at both Kirtland and Farmington schools.

I believe my Michigan license will be accepted in NM...I have to confirm with the state education department.

Any precautions we should know as far as dogs? keeping them safe or otherwise?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM

261 posts, read 818,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Any precautions we should know as far as dogs? keeping them safe or otherwise?
We have bubonic plague, hanta virus, west nile, etc. in New Mexico, so it's kind of nice to keep the dogs free of fleas. Are they big enough to defend themselves from the occasional coyote? There are also rattlesnakes in the area. I don't think it's any more dangerous for pets than any other place, just different. Plenty of good vets around.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Default Dogs

Both dogs are hounds. The plott (bred originally in SC) is a wild boar hunter and the grey hound is a small game chaser so coyotes probably aren't an issue as much as snakes or giant type spiders I suppose..

Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 PM
HTC

27 posts, read 128,658 times
The dogs will do OK. But as mentioned by sjbasin we have diseases as most everyhere else. There is a lot of open ( seriously open ) space here. So the dogs will have fun. And I think you will to.
Honetly you will have a culture shock. It's not to bad when you get used to the pace of life and some of the cultural differences being surrounded by Indian Reservations. You may want to think about teaching on the Rez ( slang for reservation ) I hear the pay is pretty good and they need good Teachers.
As I mentioned REZ is a slang term that everone uses. It's not a bad thing unless your looking to buy a car then watch out for the Rez Rockets. 80% of the roads are dirt and in need of repair.
The gas and Oil industry is probably our biggest employer and you will notice that when you get closer to us.
Drive careful on the way out and Welcome again.

Gordon

Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 AM
RKW

24 posts, read 61,207 times
Like HTC said, you will have culture shock, but if you like learning about and interacting with different cultures it will be a positive experience.

If outdoorsy stuff like biking, hiking, and photography are your thing, you will be in heaven. There are dozens of national parks and monuments within a 3 hour drive. There are native art venues here in the four corners that rival any place else in NM, including Gallup and Santa Fe. The surrounding communities like Durango, Cortez, Silverton, Page, Chama, and Moab are fun to visit.

The winters are mild, the summers aren't bad, and we have the best spring and fall weather in the world.

Last edited by RKW; 01-20-2009 at 12:15 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up. My wife and I have actually lived in Detroit Our favorite activities are exploring the community we live in---and right now with 13+ inches of snow it is rather difficult! Any ideas where I can look to find out about the teaching jobs on the "rez"? The inner cities here are full of various cultures from eastern India, Hmong, and Asian. The great out doors sounds really good right now.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:32 AM
RKW

24 posts, read 61,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Any ideas where I can look to find out about the teaching jobs on the "rez"?
Before you take a job teaching on the reservation you should travel to a few of the locations you might end up teaching and try to imagine yourself living there. Many of the schools are very isolated. Many of the basics you take for granted will be almost non existant. It is bit like living in the outback of Australia. It's not for everyone and it's not a decision one should make without knowing what you are getting in to.

A significant number in my social circle happen to be educators/teachers. Some have taught on the reservation. My friend Anne teaches at the Navajo Community College, now called Dine (pronounced den-hay), in Shiprock. She lives in Kirtland makes the drive to Shiprock. My friend Vicki just retired last June. She worked in special education in Bloomfield.

Every school district or college here has a website with job postings. If I was moving to this general area I would take a hard look at Aztec, NM and Cortez, CO as places to work and live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico