Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 AM

717 posts, read 1,949,397 times

Advertisements

You know my heart is with you Song. Be well, my friend, and know another candle burns for the loss of all our devoted friends.

I was touched by a recent story of a man who loves his horse SO much that instead of putting him down as a result of a leg amputation he mortgaged his house to fit him with a custom prosthesis!!!!! NOW THAT'S LOVE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,278,564 times
Tia, I want you to get that chocolate lab. I've heard the best way to find a pet is to let them come to you.
Hogfarmer, I've wondered about that. I would feel bad if I lived on a farm and had my pet pig or cow for dinner the next day. I like meat but I couldn't eat my pet. Tucker will always be in your heart.
Drac, thanks for the horse story also. That's amazing.
Again, I'll say that the petloss website offers this ceremony and they have the words/ritual that you can do anytime or you can do it online on Mon. nights. I don't like to repeat myself and it's sad to talk about Isis and other animals that have died, but then again it seems to help some too.
Even the poem about the Rainbow Bridge is touching. I want to believe so bad right now that there is such a place for our pets so that's what I'm going to do is keep on believing.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Tia, I want you to get that chocolate lab. I've heard the best way to find a pet is to let them come to you.
Hogfarmer, I've wondered about that. I would feel bad if I lived on a farm and had my pet pig or cow for dinner the next day. I like meat but I couldn't eat my pet. Tucker will always be in your heart.
Again, I'll say that the petloss website offers this ceremony and they have the words/ritual that you can do anytime or you can do it online on Mon. nights. I don't like to repeat myself and it's sad to talk about Isis and other animals that have died, but then again it seems to help some too.
Even the poem about the Rainbow Bridge is touching. I want to believe so bad right now that there is such a place for our pets so that's what I'm going to do is keep on believing.
Me, too, Song. I would give anything to have them come greet me when my time comes. I lost my first bullie (a rescue) in 1990, and I still miss her terribly.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM

143 posts, read 363,587 times
Default "On the Other Side!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
HI Cheryl:

Don't know if you have ever watched John Edwards - the psychic medium & his show "Crossing Over" - but one of the coolest things is that when he is reading for people - he frequently finds pets with those who have 'crossed over'. Besides that he personally has 2 little Bichons - Like Bear! As Will Rogers said - "If our pets don't go to Heaven - I want to go where THEY go!"

That is an awesome - website!
Hang in there!
J~P~B

Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 PM

I watched crossing over once.
That would be nice to go where the pets go after death.
We can all go to the Rainbow Bridge and play forever, as in roll in the grass with our pets.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,930,062 times
thank you song for the info on this, i signed up my pets, and will doing it monday too.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:38 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,902,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
Im So sorry to hear this about your Isis, Song And thank you for letting us know about these 'services' they hold, what a sweet comforting practice.
I was just think tonite about my Sharpei, I had to put to sleep, she really was like my child
And I realized just now, that was 10 years ago this month! It doesn't seem like it was that long ago. I've had a couple of foster' dogs I've watched for a while since, but nothing 'mine' again.

Until recently, I've only considered it that when I finally get moved to NM. Get one then. But......there's been a stray beautiful Chocolate Lab running loose at the Barn/Farm the past few months, about a year old. He's sort of adopted us all.
He has "owners" that really don't care for him and he's even been hit by a car in his running around loose all the time. So we've called the people/owners (4 times); they say he comes home when he's 'hungry' (tho he gets stuff at the Barn from us too ).
Seems they could care less or worse (they've had 3 previous and others dogs die).

So we called the Sheriff last week, he said NOW we can do with him what we please. We've given the people fair enough warning. So I'm considering bring him home in about a month.
He hangs around me alot when I'm at the Barn
Sweet, smart, quiet guy.
But he's also not 'altered', and he limps some now from the accident.

So I'm savin' my 'pennies' so I can pay for the 400.00+ Vet bill, for him. That a bill Before, I even get him home!
I wasn't planning on it. Just sort of seems like this is the way it might go, for him and I

Just what I need another 'large' Vet bill, LOL It's the xrays that are the whoppers (pelvis, hip, leg) and we'll do them while he's asleep for the surgery (if his heartworm test is negative that is)
Everyone else at the Farm has a dog or two already. Maybe it's meant to be, that I, take him And he gets along with Horses already
I hope his hip/pelvis is not 'bad' too.

I didn't plan on this but, he's "workin'" on me, LOL
We shall see.
(sorry about the long story, this has just oddly popped up recently )

I'm really sorry about your Isis, Song. Thanks for sharing this.
You take care there, Hugs

Tia Dalma

Definitly take care of that little guy, $400 is a small price to pay for a great companion. I have a 13 year old female chocolate lab who I love so much it hurts. She's on the downward spiral now, and It's only a matter of time before I have to do the unthinkable (to me). Labs are wonderful dogs and will give you many years of love and humor.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 PM

717 posts, read 1,949,397 times
Thumbs down The Final Fall of Goblin The Mighty

I had a terrible experience with "putting a dog down" a long time ago in Hawai'i. I had a huge, powerful pit bull named Goblin who was more a force of nature than a dog. I'll spare y'all the many experiences I had with him, good and bad, but after 13 years he finally succumbed to neurological disease of a type that had no cure or effective treatment. Mighty Goblin could no longer stand or walk. This is a fella I had special weight packs designed for when we went jogging together nearly daily. Four ten pound plates he could easily run with! I was very close to this guy and was devastated to acknowledge I had to "put him to sleep"...what a misleading term this turned out to be to my horror.

In Ke'eau, at the time, there was only the local Humane Society who administered the killing chemicals to dying animals and they placed them right in the heart using long needles. Three people, one I knew quite well, including me, had to hold miserable Goblin as the head tech hit him with dose after dose of the killing poison,forcing those hideous heavy syringes into his broad chest. Goblin would not die! After four injections that I'm sure Goblin did not like he still clung to life like the nearly unstoppable powerhouse he always was. By this time I was nearly livid and close to the point where I wanted to stick the needle in each of the incredulous humans. Suddenly, as if in surrender, Goblin took a huge yawn and one of the techs recoiled from him. I hated her for that. Goblin's breathing finally slowed and his great, block head gradually slumped in death. I had tears running freely down both cheeks as I carried my tortured, dead friend from these fools in this incompetent house of pain. I wanted to kill these fumbling morons for the painful, miserable death they gave my buddy with my help! I never spoke to my former friend again and never had anything to do with the Humane Society from that black day onwards.

I've never forgotten this horrible incident and although 14 years have elapsed, it's as if it happened yesterday for me. If I encountered today that vet tech, once a decent friend of mine, who slowly killed my Goblin, I'd deck him with every ounce of strength I could muster.

As I do with most of my animal chums I buried the inimitable Goblin in my two acre Guava orchard on the Big Island of Hawai'i. I planted a fast growing rubber tree over him. Today this tree tops 35' and sends tendrils of itself into the broken lava all around the area. I like to think my Goblin lives on in this great tree that has been nourished by him. Most of my other animal friends are similarly interred. I'd like to be buried in like fashion: no coffin or headstone, just throw me in a bag into a hole at the foot of a tree so that my remains can nourish and fortify the life above me.

Last edited by dracul; 01-23-2009 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Here's to you Goblin, Conan, Samson, Samantha, Sam, Spartacus, Antigonnie, Cassandra

Old 01-23-2009, 06:56 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,902,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
I had a terrible experience with "putting a dog down" a long time ago in Hawai'i. I had a huge, powerful pit bull named Goblin who was more a force of nature than a dog. I'll spare y'all the many experiences I had with him, good and bad, but after 13 years he finally succumbed to neurological disease of a type that had no cure or effective treatment. Mighty Goblin could no longer stand or walk. This is a fella I had special weight packs designed for when we went jogging together nearly daily. Four ten pound plates he could easily run with! I was very close to this guy and was devastated to acknowledge I had to "put him to sleep"...what a misleading term this turned out to be to my horror.

In Ke'eau, at the time, there was only the local Humane Society who administered the killing chemicals to dying animals and they placed them right in the heart using long needles. Three people, one I knew quite well, including me, had to hold miserable Goblin as the head tech hit him with dose after dose of the killing poison,forcing those hideous heavy syringes into his broad chest. Goblin would not die! After four injections that I'm sure Goblin did not like he still clung to life like the nearly unstoppable powerhouse he always was. By this time I was nearly livid and close to the point where I wanted to stick the needle in each of the incredulous humans. Suddenly, as if in surrender, Goblin took a huge yawn and one of the techs recoiled from him. I hated her for that. Goblin's breathing finally slowed and his great, block head gradually slumped in death. I had tears running freely down both cheeks as I carried my tortured, dead friend from these fools in this incompetent house of pain. I wanted to kill these fumbling morons for the painful, miserable death they gave my buddy with my help! I never spoke to my former friend again and never had anything to do with the Humane Society from that black day onwards.

I've never forgotten this horrible incident and although 14 years have elapsed, it's as if it happened yesterday for me. If I encountered today that vet tech, once a decent friend of mine, who slowly killed my Goblin, I'd deck him with every ounce of strength I could muster.

As I do with most of my animal chums I buried the inimitable Goblin in my two acre Guava orchard on the Big Island of Hawai'i. I planted a fast growing rubber tree over him. Today this tree tops 35' and sends tendrils of itself into the broken lava all around the area. I like to think my Goblin lives on in this great tree that has been nourished by him. Most of my other animal friends are similarly interred. I'd like to be buried in like fashion: no coffin or headstone, just throw me in a bag into a hole at the foot of a tree so that my remains can nourish and fortify the life above me.
That's an unbelievable story! I'm sorry it had to happen that way.

I hope I don't have to endure anything like that when the time comes for my dog... When I had to put down my poor cat Monkey, the vet gave him a sedative and about 10 mins later administered the chemical through the vein in his arm. It was a peaceful send off, but I miss him so much just the same. I hope my Labrador Haley goes as peacefully as Monkey did.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM

I posted a thread the other day in the Dog forum about the behavior of vets and staff.
I'm angry and very hurt that when my dog was put to sleep last week, they were coldhearted and callous using the word 'dispose' as in 'do you want us to dispose of your animal?'
Another thing that made me angry was that we were upset and asked if we could come back in a few days to pay the bill and the answer was that we had to pay now.
Anyway Drac and Tetto and anyone else reading this, if you don't know already how your pet will be treated or how you will be treated, you need to go in and talk to your vet about it now and it will give you peace of mind if and when you ever have to put your pet to sleep.
I've talked to a couple of vets already in Alamogordo and told them what I wanted and expected from them.
One of them agreed that this was not the way for this other office to have handled the situation and the other one seemed to not care that what I was saying was important.
Guess which one I picked?
I stupidly thought that all vets and there staffs were nice, caring and sensitive people that love animals. I found out differently last week.
The vet office in High Rolls is a horrible, horrible place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico