Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,545,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
I would think that a 22 L.R. Hollow point well placed in the Eyesocket or at the Heart would bring down a bear but i dont know. Are there any Bear Hunters out there? el pintada kid
I've encountered (up close and personal) at least 20 bears in my wilderness wanderings. No grizzlies. The only thing they appeared to have on their mind was running away...

I wouldn't expect a 22 to *stop* anything bigger than a rabbit. Good luck with the "eye socket" shot... hopefully you can get them to stand still at close range and wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,276,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
But, is he good looking enough for you to let him catch you?
I'm not sure but I'd be laughing so hard, he'd catch up with me anyway.
Like I said, the mental image of someone chasing me with a steak in my hand is just too funny.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:27 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
In all honestly i'm more concerned of ''africanized bees'' than bears as the bees are being found in up in the forests in nm more and more.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,780,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
In all honestly i'm more concerned of ''africanized bees'' than bears as the bees are being found in up in the forests in nm more and more.
It's hard to believe that both Africanized bees and fireants have made their way this far west and north. I was flabbergasted to see fireant bait in all of the local stores here.

They're both just horrible, and they ARE much more of a concern than bears, mountain lions or snakes!!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 PM

775 posts, read 2,579,622 times
Default Africanized Bees

Yes those African Bees are found in Southern N.M. and maybe some places in the Mountains but the Center of N.M. and Northern N.M. if we have Africanized bees they are probably wearing Sweaters. P.S. Wild Animals are not a real danger yet but soon when they lose their homes and food sources they will be a danger to people. I Guess you just have to have one close call with a Bear or a Mountain Lion and you will not be the same outdoor loving hiker you thought you were. el pintada kid

Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It's hard to believe that both Africanized bees and fireants have made their way this far west and north. I was flabbergasted to see fireant bait in all of the local stores here.

They're both just horrible, and they ARE much more of a concern than bears, mountain lions or snakes!!
Yeap they are found in 12 new mexico counties.

Africanized bees now found in 12 New Mexico counties

Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,780,305 times
Quote:
Yeap they are found in 12 new mexico counties.

Africanized bees now found in 12 New Mexico counties
Interesting article....I was surprised to see that they were in Utah, as well as higher elevation Lincoln county.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:22 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,545,514 times
Quote:
When I used to camp in the desert in the winter (Tucson and Yuma) I really had to make sure I didn't make any water puddles. Sometimes I'd have hundreds of them flying all around me. They aren't that dangerous away from the hive, but still.

Rattlesnakes are by far the most dangerous critter around IMO... outside of people.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 PM

390 posts, read 948,597 times
Kid, saw a mountain lion that had been killed on the highway between Tularosa and Alamogordo last week. I like to go walking on the ranch but not alone. You are correct about mountain lions and bears, they will be hungry this year.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 AM

775 posts, read 2,579,622 times
Default Cougars Or Mountain Lions

A Few years ago i had two Mountain Lions probably Male and Female cross the highway in front of me and i think i brushed the tip of their long tails with the fender on the drivers side or my Car. They are Beautiful Creatures and these two were on the Winding Roads south of Corona going to Carrizozo. >>>> Kid Tip... This year a few Hunters reporting seeing Mountain Lion tracks and a few Bear Tracks and a Rancher up near Red Cloud shot a Bear Close to the Ranch. >>>> A Couple of years ago I had a Close call with a Reddish Brown bear that i had spotted way off in the Distance but it still didnt give me enough time to get to my Pickup those Bears can Run Fast. WE played ring around the Roses around this Big Boulder until i managed to Pick up a Big Rock and Threw it at him and let out a Blood Curdling Scream which bought me some time to Fly to my pickup. I managed to take a Couple of Pictures of that bear from Far Away but he was still hiding in the Bushes a few yards from my Truck waiting for me to get off my truck. Needless to say i dont go back to that area anymore. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico