U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,168 times
Default purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayChicken View Post
BABSROCKER...you posted last April and I just found this site. You asked about info for Pine Meadows Ranch and of anyone who had property for sale. I don't know a lot about Pine Meadows and have had difficulty in obtaining info from local county agencies. I do, however, have 2 lots that we are selling for my parent's who purchased these in the 70's sight unseen. The lots are 5.31 acres & 4.27 acres. If interested, please reply back. Thank You!
Did you sell or are you still interested let me know [EMAIL="travispet@embarqmail.com"]travispet@embarqmail.com[/EMAIL]
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,038 times
I am within 4-6 months of buying land and am seriously interested in the Pine Meadows ranches near Ramah, New Mexico. I almost bought 3 years ago and the heavy snow storms held me off. I am now more prepared but before I buy I have questions and I don't know who to ask. One is I have an online ebay store and want to continue working - what difficulties if any should I be mindful of? I could get a lap top and try wireless, like Verizon and use a generator or battery to run the computer and printer. Or maybe satellite would be better? Also, how much would a well cost and do I need to have electric at the same time. I see some ads for electric close by but do you need electric to run the well? I have checked the google maps and have yet to drive out there but will do so soon. I want to start from stratch and have a well thought out plan - but am counting on building as I go - which will take years - how do I find out what the permits are? and what are C C R 's? Any help would be appreciated...thank you

Old 09-23-2008, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,038 times
I am strongly interested in moving to this area - I checked out your web page and it is full of information - thank you for that. I printed out some maps and plan on driving out there to see the area. Would I be able to start preparing the land for my use before the loan was paid off or do I have to wait? And if you still have any units in this area - can I "camp out" while I build? Do you know if Grants has a county office that I can ask permit questions or where would I go? And the ad I pulled up said power was solar, generator. But I have seen other people with ads that I think were unit 4 and said electric was "2 lots away" or "close by" any idea if electric is close to any of your parcels? Would you happen to have an idea how much to bring electric over? Any idea about what a well will cost? Thanks for any information you might be able to give me.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,198 times
I have been to our land at Pine Meadows, and at our land there is no cell service, but some at a few places up there. Where I live now, (not in New Mexico), we have only solar power, and a laptop is a better choice, using so little electricity. Generators wear out fairly fast if you use them a lot (learned from experience). Yes, unless you are prepared to spend a lot on solar/wind power, you will need a generator for a well pump. I don't know if solar well would be more than getting electric lines to the site. A good solar system for a conservative person would be 10,000. A well dug is about 20 dollars a foot, and I hear water is 400 ft down. We went to County Courthouse to find out about permits and so forth, and it seems that beyond the State's requirements of a permit for a well, and septic, you are pretty much able to do the rest however you want. There is no oversight on houses, etc. The CCR's are basically defunct, being made by the original owner of the land, and since it was all sold to others, they have no cares about what is done. And from what we saw for buildings there, it appears that no one cares.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 PM

4,461 posts, read 3,345,522 times
Check out Fence Lake; just south about 40 miles. Land goes for $500.00/acre to $3,000.00 acre.
Further out, but 30 miles to Quemado and 65 to Gallup.

Water available on your property most likely, cell service buy the PO and other places, electric is available, but $$ if not close, tele???that's a problem.

Peace and quite, lots of elk, deer, antelope etc. Gardens do good with some help.

HW aka Fence Lake Ranger.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM

32,923 posts, read 26,410,850 times
Anyone looking for a full time electric generator google "Lister CS Diesels". These are real heavy and slow old time engines used just about everywhere. With oil and filter changes they should last forever.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 PM

856 posts, read 843,944 times
I worked for FedEx out of Gallup this last summer and my route covered this area. Very peaceful and beautiful there. I have seriously considered trying to relocate to the area...Pine Meadows, Candy Kitchen. I have wondered though...how does it work buying land in these areas, I am reasonably sure they are on the Ramah Navajo Reservation. I am also interested in Fence Lake. Some of the views from the lots in Shadow Canyon Ranch are to die for. Fence Lake is easier to access too...no BIA roads to go on.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:54 PM

701 posts, read 1,400,343 times
I'm also researching the purchase of land here. It's my understanding there are no restrictions and any type of dwelling can be constructed.

If there's anyone living in the area, I'm curious about the proximity to Indian lands. Mainly I'm concerned about how the locals (namely Indians) feel about non-Indians buying parcels of land there. The last thing I want to do is intrude. This sounds kind of stupid, so any input is appreciated.

My goal is to build a simple, non-traditional house and start a small farm. Simple, back to basics living.

A few more questions to anyone living in the area:

Is there snow on the ground all winter? The latitude and elevation are similar to Flagstaff AZ, where I've spent some time, and the winters are cold and snowy but with bright sunny days. Similar?

Any success with summertime gardening? What are you growing? What about a greenhouse for colder times?

Water. Is it dig a well or nothing? Anyone have any experiences with water witchers? I've read that here in Southern NM they can be quite accurate. I read something about a community well - is it still there?

Is anyone else living entirely off-grid? What type of dwelling do you live in and what are your biggest challenges?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,518 times
Buy your land close to the power line or use solar power. There is no regular phone lines on the ranch.
Cell phone reception is spotty. I use Verizon with a directional outside antenna at my home. A 4-wheel drive vehicle is a must if you plan to live out here year around. Our neighbors spent over $20,000.00 to drill a 800' well, piped water to the house and garden area. If you buy land in the front area you might get water at 200'. Permits are mainly county permits. For more info call the Cibola County Clerk Office and as for a copy of the Pine Meadow Ranches C & R's. The POA's e-mail is [email]pmrpoa@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 05-03-2009, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,518 times
Both Pine Meadow Ranches & Candy Kitchen are privately owned land surrounded by reservation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico