Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,760 times

Advertisements

HELP !?! -Need some information from locals who R in the "know"
My ultimate goal is to live where it is warmer! I love the beach, and I love the mountains as well.
I am trying to figure out where I could move to that:
1. I can afford !! ..... (survive @ 1st, eventually buy a home)
2. Rent for about $750 (what is the reality of this ?) in a clean, and decent neighborhood !
3. My new massage studio rent would be affordable, and in a good location !!
4. While a build a new clientelle, it would be easy to find a job to pay the bills!........(Without having to work 3 jobs simultaneously!)
5. Male elementary school teachers are paid well !
6. Would prefer my commute to be 15-20 Minutes or Less.
7. The temperature is unlikely to ever really feel cold. I can handle a few days here and there, but I am DONE with living in any Winter season! At the same time, I would like it to be moderate as well: not too many months of 90+ everyday, and I prefer it to stay under 100 =).
8. I am looking @ Southern California below Los Angeles: I do not want to live in L.A., or directly on the coast (could not afford it anyway). I am thinking of somewhere in the middle of Southern California & not too close to the Mexican coast AT ALL or the East Coast of Southern Calif. either !!
9. I am also looking at parts of Arizona, or New Mexico, but I prefer to be closer to the beach for early morning jogs, so California is definately more enticing !!!!
10.A nice school district will be necessary in the future when I have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,291,051 times
No beaches in NM but we do have mountains all over the state.
Sounds like Cali might be your best bet as far as what you want with the beach and weather although it doesn't fit your price range.
I see you're in Virginia now. It's more affordable to live and you can be near a beach. It gets cold but not all that bad. How about Virginia Beach? Also down the coast in the Carolinas would be good price wise.
The further you come West, the pricier it's going to be.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,314,832 times
Elephant Butte lake has a beach, you can't surf but you can jetski. and, it's usually warm here, but summers are hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benita Turner View Post
HELP !?! -Need some information from locals who R in the "know"
My ultimate goal is to live where it is warmer! I love the beach, and I love the mountains as well.
I am trying to figure out where I could move to that:
1. I can afford !! ..... (survive @ 1st, eventually buy a home)
2. Rent for about $750 (what is the reality of this ?) in a clean, and decent neighborhood !
3. My new massage studio rent would be affordable, and in a good location !!
4. While a build a new clientelle, it would be easy to find a job to pay the bills!........(Without having to work 3 jobs simultaneously!)
5. Male elementary school teachers are paid well !
6. Would prefer my commute to be 15-20 Minutes or Less.
7. The temperature is unlikely to ever really feel cold. I can handle a few days here and there, but I am DONE with living in any Winter season! At the same time, I would like it to be moderate as well: not too many months of 90+ everyday, and I prefer it to stay under 100 =).
8. I am looking @ Southern California below Los Angeles: I do not want to live in L.A., or directly on the coast (could not afford it anyway). I am thinking of somewhere in the middle of Southern California & not too close to the Mexican coast AT ALL or the East Coast of Southern Calif. either !!
9. I am also looking at parts of Arizona, or New Mexico, but I prefer to be closer to the beach for early morning jogs, so California is definately more enticing !!!!
10.A nice school district will be necessary in the future when I have kids.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,706,859 times
I can't think of anywhere in NM where there is no winter. Because NM is high elevation, even the southern deserts have freezing temperatures more often than not when the sun goes down at night during the short winter season.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 PM

713 posts, read 1,840,889 times
Doesn't sound like NM is what you're looking for. You want a very temperate climate. Northern NM would be too cold and southern NM would be too hot.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:23 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,531,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
No beaches in NM but we do have mountains all over the state.
Sounds like Cali might be your best bet as far as what you want with the beach and weather although it doesn't fit your price range.
I see you're in Virginia now. It's more affordable to live and you can be near a beach. It gets cold but not all that bad. How about Virginia Beach? Also down the coast in the Carolinas would be good price wise.
The further you come West, the pricier it's going to be.
I agree with ya cheryl......as it sounds like southern california would be their best bet .

Old 01-28-2009, 07:43 AM

9,344 posts, read 20,697,819 times
National City or Escondido California.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,295,305 times
NM weather update:

29 degrees this morning, with light and variable poverty in the northern regions. Expect increasing poverty in the border region, with a slight chance of cartel-related anarchy. Political winds will blow left to mid-left for the duration of the century.

On the plus side, on a nice windy spring day, you don't have to drive to the beach - there is enough sand in the air already.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,490,412 times
Southern New Mexico only gets a little cold at night -- just enough to know it's January and not July. Around Las Cruces you don't need a winter jacket if you are only going from your house in the morning into your car and into work and by the time you leave work it's usually in the 60's on the cold days so you can do most daytime activities with a sweater or sweatshirt at the most but it's common on most winter days to see some people in t-shirts. A winter jacket still comes in handy if you are someone who is freezing when it's 55 degrees, or if you want to go up to the mountains or if you're out at night when the temperatures might drop below freezing.

95 degrees in the desert is more like 85 degrees anywhere else. A dry heat doesn't feel hot until you reach 100 and it rarely gets to 100.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,802,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Southern New Mexico only gets a little cold at night -- just enough to know it's January and not July. Around Las Cruces you don't need a winter jacket if you are only going from your house in the morning into your car and into work and by the time you leave work it's usually in the 60's on the cold days so you can do most daytime activities with a sweater or sweatshirt at the most but it's common on most winter days to see some people in t-shirts. A winter jacket still comes in handy if you are someone who is freezing when it's 55 degrees, or if you want to go up to the mountains or if you're out at night when the temperatures might drop below freezing.

95 degrees in the desert is more like 85 degrees anywhere else. A dry heat doesn't feel hot until you reach 100 and it rarely gets to 100.
I haven't worn a coat since Dec 27, and a light one at that, while I was up in Cloudcroft. It did get down to 17 in Alamo last night, and I went out in a t-shirt and jeans to get my paper this morning.

It just doesn't feel cold here. Even though 95 degrees in the desert is more tolerable than it would be in humid areas, it's still hot. It's just that most people can breathe, since it doesn't act like a sauna/steamroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico