Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,815,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
You would think after living in NM for the last 9 years I would be alittle more used to it. It is funny though when I lived in S Texas I never felt like I was gonna die from the heat but now when I go back I feel like I am gonna die. I am always asking my Mom how she stands it.
I bet the humidity in ST gets to you now, too, doesn't it?

It really bothered me, along with the heat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:06 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,613,550 times
Is fifty your age, temperature or state of mind? Around here 50 would be a heat wave.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:39 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,239,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Yes it is colder here than it has been. But I think of my kids, Tia and RRR and wonder how they are doing.. RRR could have ice about now. My kids temps are in the single didgets.. Glad I am here!
Jane

No ice for us, for some reason. Ky, western part of TN, Mississippi..... none for us. Just DRIVING rain and wind. We're wet this week, but at least not frozen. The kids attended Friday only of last week. Icing of backroads kept them all home.

Thanks for thinking of us, Jane. ;-)

Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
We are hoping to get up to 32 today, it would be the first time in a week..At least we didnt' lose power like more of the towns around here, in NoWest AR. Our granddaughter lost hers last night. She is about 45 minutes southeast of us.

I hope you all continue to enjoy a mild winter, but you do have at least 1 more month to worry.

Nita

Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,979,004 times
Exclamation Cold...

It was about40 today in Fence Lake..but tonight and the next few nights it will be about 10...or >.
Then next week about 50 and lows about 20..

We need SPRING...YEAH....

HAPPY TRAILS...gonna cut more woood this weekend....
soups are still the order of the day...

HW and SuninHair glad we didn't move to North Ark...

Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 AM

143 posts, read 364,032 times
Default Confusing temperatures

I just checked the TDC weather site which says that the low temp in Timberon last night was 15.7 at 12:32A. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! When I looked at the CloudCroft Current weater........says the low was 19.2 at 5:42 this morning.

Isn't Cloudcroft pretty much always colder since it's 1000+ feet higher?

Seems like the numbers frequently aren't what you would expect them to be............am I missing something??

Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear's Mom View Post
I just checked the TDC weather site which says that the low temp in Timberon last night was 15.7 at 12:32A. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! When I looked at the CloudCroft Current weater........says the low was 19.2 at 5:42 this morning.

Isn't Cloudcroft pretty much always colder since it's 1000+ feet higher?

Seems like the numbers frequently aren't what you would expect them to be............am I missing something??
Welcome to the club. I've been trying to figure all this out for the last couple of years...

Timberon, given its elevation (7K+) should always be colder than Alamogordo (4500), but there have been mornings when it has been warmer than here in Alamo. It can get very cold in Timberon, but it's often very temperate for its elevation! If it were not so isolated and small, I'd be up there in a heartbeat. It's really nice up there!

Elevation is not all there is to it. Farmington, in the NW corner, at 53-5500 ft, is often colder than Ruidoso/Timberon/Cloudcroft, which are all much higher than Farmington.

I think north vs south has a lot more to do with it than just elevation.

It's just weird here right now. So balmy!!! I think the greater differences are in the summer months rather than the winter.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM

9,347 posts, read 20,710,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Welcome to the club. I've been trying to figure all this out for the last couple of years...

Timberon, given its elevation (7K+) should always be colder than Alamogordo (4500), but there have been mornings when it has been warmer than here in Alamo. It can get very cold in Timberon, but it's often very temperate for its elevation! If it were not so isolated and small, I'd be up there in a heartbeat. It's really nice up there!

Elevation is not all there is to it. Farmington, in the NW corner, at 53-5500 ft, is often colder than Ruidoso/Timberon/Cloudcroft, which are all much higher than Farmington.

I think north vs south has a lot more to do with it than just elevation.

It's just weird here right now. So balmy!!! I think the greater differences are in the summer months rather than the winter.
Inversion (meteorology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM

143 posts, read 364,032 times
Default Weird temps!

you are so right! Just now - it is suppose to be 47 in CC & 50 in Timberon.

Seems like 1000+ actually I think it's more like 1500+ ft difference.........would be more than a 3 degree difference in temps - it certainly would be here in AZ.

Oh well, hopefully - one of these days we will be there & have our own thermometer to check
First we have to get through 1 more summer in Phx

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear's Mom View Post
you are so right! Just now - it is suppose to be 47 in CC & 50 in Timberon.

Seems like 1000+ actually I think it's more like 1500+ ft difference.........would be more than a 3 degree difference in temps - it certainly would be here in AZ.

Oh well, hopefully - one of these days we will be there & have our own thermometer to check
First we have to get through 1 more summer in Phx
Cloudcroft is over 8600 feet. Their snow is gone because it has been so warm up there. They were expecting to open the small ski area after the snow on 12/27, but it just didn't happen. It hasn't snowed up there since, AFAIK.

I do NOT envy you a PHX summer....ugh....115+ degrees!!! I thought WT was hot..? Not by comparison, LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico