Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,608,382 times

Advertisements

I suggest you take the time to visit and explore the towns along I-25 from Raton to Albuquerque to Truth or Consequences. Even better use google maps street view to take a drive around the state. I am fond of the Central Rio Grande Valley (I-25 south of Albuquerque) but I don't have horses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 07:35 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,238,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
You will not need the acreage here for horses that you need back east, as you will be feeding more hay here. Grazing land like we are used to isn't found here. No big fields full of clover, unless you raise it yourself, and that would cost a fortune.

I agree with Alison. This was the hardest thing to wrap my head around, seeing ads with a "BIG acre, room for your horses!" and thinking- uh-uh.

But it appears to be true. I consider property in NM as just a place for the horses to exercise. We feed hay and grain year round here, so I suspect there won't be much adjustment for us as there are for people who acutally have pasture.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,515,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrPrincess View Post
I am from Savannah, Ga. I love the photos of New Mexico, but I have never lived in the S.west before. I am sick of all this humidity. The towns in NM seem small, some with 500 -1000 people. We have about 250,000 people in Savannah, I think. Before I make any decisions, I need to know what people are like in towns like this. I don't seem to fit in anywhere. I grew up in New York then came down south. I am in an interracial relationship (black/white) and I need to know how people feel about that sort of thing out west.
I love organic gardening, homesteading, horses, being with my children and reading. My husband does custom paint and body work on cars... kinda like the "pimp my ride" show. But hes a jack of all trades. I'm just wondering if this type of a move would be good for us.
Thanks in advance
The SW is more open on race, and mixed marriages. Especially areas where there are military - those tend to be very nonchalant about mixed race marriages.

Gardening in a dry climate will be different. Others mentioned the difference with having horses, grazing land is not plentiful for sure, but the weather tends to make owning horses better because it's not hot and humid for riding and the scenery is nice.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 17,259 times
Ah, yes I did not think about that. Most of the reason for large pastures here is for the horses to graze. So maybe a 2-3 acre lot would be a little more realistic. As long as it was a town where we could find a place to ride.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 AM

622 posts, read 1,719,847 times
I hadn't thought of that either! Good to know! I plan on volunteering at a horse-rescue when I get out there and I figure I'll learn the run-down on desert horse care.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,238,714 times
Me too, Mina. :-)

Heck, I do pick ups (and some pretty scary ones at that!), sit on various committees, on the board and dabble in some PR- surely they can use me somewhere!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Me too, Mina. :-)

Heck, I do pick ups (and some pretty scary ones at that!), sit on various committees, on the board and dabble in some PR- surely they can use me somewhere!
That's so awesome! I'm a noob- but a willing one. Hopefully that will be good for something

Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
I hadn't thought of that either! Good to know! I plan on volunteering at a horse-rescue when I get out there and I figure I'll learn the run-down on desert horse care.
The desert is actually easy for horses. They can stay outdoors in the southern part of New Mexico -- they need shade and a small shelter and so mucking out stalls isn't necessary unless you stable them inside. Fewer hoof problems because they aren't standing in moisture. Some areas have few flies and mosquitos -- but that's not always the case.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 PM

Good to know! Thanks malamute

Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
Good to know! Thanks malamute
Coming from NY, you'll really see the difference -- in much of NM, just about every day is perfect for taking a ride. It's easier, not all the cold and ice, very few rainy days and most rainy days are sunny most of the day and the rain comes in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico