Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your Favorite Colleges and Universities in New Mexico?
University of New Mexico 11 37.93%
New Mexico State University 8 27.59%
Eastern New Mexico University 2 6.90%
Western New Mexico University 1 3.45%
Institute of American Indian Arts 1 3.45%
New Mexico Highlands University 2 6.90%
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (NM TECH) 6 20.69%
Northern New Mexico College 1 3.45%
College of Santa Fe 1 3.45%
College of the Southwest 1 3.45%
St. John's College 1 3.45%
Central New Mexico Community College 3 10.34%
Clovis Community College 0 0%
Diné College 1 3.45%
Mesalands Community College 0 0%
New Mexico Military Institute 4 13.79%
San Juan College 1 3.45%
Santa Fe Community College 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:03 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,575,874 times

Advertisements

I voted for New Mexico Tech because I plan on going there and study Geology taught from the perspective of Plate Tectonics. The geology taught when I was in college was during the change form the “Old Geology” to the moving plates system.

The school is one of the major attractions of the Greater Socorro Metropolitan Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:38 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,147,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

The school is one of the major attractions of the Greater Socorro Metropolitan Area.
It has other major attractions?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:13 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,575,874 times
Manny's Buckhorn Saloon in the suburb of San Antonio.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,602,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
It is actually shocking to see how many "Out-a-staters" come to New Mexico Colleges and Universities..
I'm not sure I understand why this would shock you?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 AM

186 posts, read 637,836 times
UNM all the way baby. GO LOBOS!!!

I also voted for San Juan College in Farmington - I went here right after High School. It's a great school and tuition, when i went from 2000-2002, was 15 bucks a credit. It was awesome. Today, the tuition is like 35 a credit hour.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 PM

52,212 posts, read 33,992,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loboABQ View Post
I also voted for San Juan College in Farmington
do people still call SJC 'Totah Tech'?

i voted for NM highlands U, even though it's a basket-case of a school. call it a pity vote..

Old 10-16-2009, 04:16 PM

39 posts, read 150,712 times
Cost of going to school is a reason for coming to NM. I transferred form WNMU to NMHU. I like going to NMHU better that UNM Gallup or WNMU Gallup. I like the small classes at NMHU. You don't want to move on campus. The university is a slum lord. Roaches and unsanitary conditions. If you complain they try to kick you out or intiminate you. What I didn't like about WNMU is their elitist attitude and tension between full bloods, mixed bloods and racist white students from Farmington. WNMU Gallup lacked of accomodations and professors went on power trips. One professor made it so all traditional counselors in the Gallup area lost their jobs and have to get a license and master's. all the agencies that serve mostly natives lost all their traditional counselors. UNM Gallup is mostly native and there is racial tention there too against non-native students. I probably would have liked WNMU if I had gone to the main campus. Gallup would not honor the accomodations the main campus approved. UNM Albuquerque is the trauma hospital for the whole state but for any other medical care I have been there a dozen times and never received medical care. They just rip of my insurance and refer me to some other rip off doctor who refers me but doesn't give me care. I like the nieghborhood around UNM, if I had to live in Albuquerque. I am not treated bad at NMHU. They at least try to accomodate disabilities at NMHU. WNMU at Gallup is just collecting Dept of Ed complaints in this area. It is mostly Hispanic though. I wish I could go to the SW college in Santa fe but can't figure out how to afford the rents there. Dine college is in Arizona. I totally recommend it even if you don't need any undergraduate credits. It is cheap and you get to learn native phiosophy in every class taught by gradpa medicine men. Gorman dedicated a library on campus which is a good library. The campus is round and has round hogan dorms and even a 4 story glass and steel hogan with museum and galleries and a ceremonial room. I only paid 25$ an hour when I went there. It is probably a little more now. It is different being a minority majority but everyone should experience that somewhere. No grocery stores or malls any where near but beautiful mts, canyons and lakes.

Last edited by backslacker; 10-16-2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico