Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:58 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,097,381 times

Advertisements

Cathy4017: I'm not much of an aenophile, but I like the wines of the Llano Estacado Winery in Lubbock. Their 'Signature Red' is very nice. Yeah, I remember Boone's Farm, which was okay at the time but would jump up and bite you the next day for sure. I much prefer dry red wines, such as Pinot Noir.

songinthewind7: I used to think 'the drier the better', until I got hold of some Pinot Noir from France. It was so long ago that I don't recall exactly where it came from, but it was incredibly dry, to the point of leaving dust on the tongue. Well, almost. I can still remember the thought, "This is like drinking a cedar chest"! I didn't hate it, but they defibitely overdid the dryness. It was dessicated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,314,065 times
Default my favorite wines are

I'm a winehead from way back. my preferences are MD20/20, Boones Farm, Mogen David, and Ripple while sittin' around the campfire and roasting marshmallow's and weinies!spill the wine.
it's pretty obvious I don't know of the finer things in life, you all have much better taste than I. sometimes I just prefer a shot of early times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Any wine folks here?
I went into the Pistachio Tree Ranch in Alamogordo to get some pistachios and also ended up doing some wine tasting.
My favorites are:
Chocolate Diablo which is a red wine with chocolate flavor.
Cabernet Sauvignon which is red and dry.
I enjoy red wine sometimes.
I purchased a bottle of each.
I like the fact that I'm getting something made locally and I also bought a book on the different places throughout New Mexico that have wine tastings of local makers.
Also talks about how to pick a good wine, etc. etc. which helps me because I go by what I like which is dry and red.
Any input on this???

Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,798,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Cathy4017: I'm not much of an aenophile, but I like the wines of the Llano Estacado Winery in Lubbock. Their 'Signature Red' is very nice. Yeah, I remember Boone's Farm, which was okay at the time but would jump up and bite you the next day for sure. I much prefer dry red wines, such as Pinot Noir.

songinthewind7: I used to think 'the drier the better', until I got hold of some Pinot Noir from France. It was so long ago that I don't recall exactly where it came from, but it was incredibly dry, to the point of leaving dust on the tongue. Well, almost. I can still remember the thought, "This is like drinking a cedar chest"! I didn't hate it, but they defibitely overdid the dryness. It was dessicated!
HEB carried some from Llano Estacado, and had a white and a rose I liked a lot, but I cannot remember what they were. Both Texas Highways and New Mexico magazine have done recent articles on state wineries, and I'll see if I can dig them up.

I can still remember the thought, "This is like drinking a cedar chest"!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
I love getting local wines anywhere in the country. But I do like Tularosa Vineyards. We are heading to Tucson next week and I do want to stop in Deming and try the wines there. Great gift for our hosts.
St. Clair's in Deming has two that I really like--St Clair Reserve Viognier (a pretty dry white) and their Chardonnay. I can get the Viognier out at Eagle Ranch!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I'm a winehead from way back. my preferences are MD20/20, Boones Farm, Mogen David, and Ripple while sittin' around the campfire and roasting marshmallow's and weinies!spill the wine.
it's pretty obvious I don't know of the finer things in life, you all have much better taste than I. sometimes I just prefer a shot of early times.
Somehow, it does seem that MogenDavid would go well with weenies and marshmallows....

Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Feel free to talk about them tecpatl.

I've never been one to drink white with fish or red with red meat. I do go for the taste. I told the man I normally like to drink a dry red wine and he let me try a few. I also saw the word chocolate and couldn't resist that one so I ended up buying the chocolate one which was very good and heady. I had some tonight.
I'll go back and try the fruity ones some other time. I normally wouldn't do that but I'm trying to be a little more open and try new things.
The only criteria I have is..."Do I like it....or not?"

I will also drink white with grilled beef, when most would call for a drier red.....! Mix 'em up good, LOL!!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 AM

7,394 posts, read 19,287,579 times
The people I used to dogsit for in Texas were wine snobs and it didn't seem to matter if the taste was good to them or not. It was, red wine with red meat and white with white meat. The price on the bottle mattered too. The higher priced, the better quality.
I see it as just because someone else likes it or doesn't like it doesn't mean I'll feel the same way.
Catman, I'll stay away from the cedar chest tasting wine. Thanks for the tip.
Mutz, whatever you like is what works.
I don't know who said this about tastes being on a beer budget or whatever but wine is pretty pricey. I don't drink alot of it fortunately.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
The people I used to dogsit for in Texas were wine snobs and it didn't seem to matter if the taste was good to them or not. It was, red wine with red meat and white with white meat. The price on the bottle mattered too. The higher priced, the better quality.
I see it as just because someone else likes it or doesn't like it doesn't mean I'll feel the same way.
Catman, I'll stay away from the cedar chest tasting wine. Thanks for the tip.
Mutz, whatever you like is what works.
I don't know who said this about tastes being on a beer budget or whatever but wine is pretty pricey. I don't drink alot of it fortunately.
Don't you hate wine snobs?! LOL!!

My favorite Texas White is actually very inexpensive, especially at Sam's Club and Walmart. I just can't get it here, *snif*

Old 02-01-2009, 04:09 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,325,674 times
I make my own........but love to buy at local wineries. Any in the Northern New Mexico area?

Old 02-01-2009, 06:59 PM

775 posts, read 2,581,197 times
Default Villanueva New Mexico Vineyards

Villanueva N.M. has a Vineyard and they sell the Red and White Wines. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico