Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,780,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Well said Cathy!!!!

My grandparents from the south loved the desert but missed the green so they created their own ''oasis'' at their home as they had large shade trees, shrubs and gardens etc...as they had the best of both worlds.
Quite a few do that here, LOL!! All that yardwork and watering!!

If I didn't have dogs, my backyard would be less than half the size it is now, as far as grass goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM

42 posts, read 87,658 times
Default Lots Of Public Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
This is a link to the Sierra County Housing Authority web page:
http://www.sierracounty.net/Directory/HousingAuthority_TorC.htm (broken link)
This is a link to public service jobs in T or C:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...sequences.html
I might add that the city of T or C recently posted a job for a person to read utility meters, spanish speaking persons encouraged to apply. if you want more 411, let me know.
Other jobs: walmart may be hiring sales/stocker associates. A new auto parts is going to be built soon, O'reilly auto parts, and maybe seeking sales associates. dollar general stores may be hiring sales associates too in the future.

I don't know if the promise of minimum wage, high turn-over jobs will draw new people to the area...

Quote:
A few words about public housing applicants: there may be a waiting period for up to a year. If you need immediate housing, may I suggest purchasing a rv/travel trailer to live in. my spouse and I live in a travel trailer year round, it's not for everyone, but it's cheap!

With all due respect... No. I originally applied for housing last Sept., then moved locally, & I have been turning down housing offers coming from T or C every month ever since... It's been driving me crazy that I couldn't take them. I turned down so many offers, I had to be taken off of lists, & reapply. But they are very easy to work with at the T or C HA. The housing is definitely there. Perhaps mileage may vary for family apartments, but certainly for 1 person units. If you ask, they'll tell you how long the lists are & how fast your name may come up. It is all too likely that something will come up faster than I can prepare for the move, & unlikely that nothing will come up at all for a year. Which is why I'm working on getting ready now. Because I have accumulated way too much stuff... Getting everything to coordinate together on schedule is going to take a major miracle.

RV living sounds like fun. But if I could afford to purchase an RV... I wouldn't be living in subsidized housing.

Quote:
Yes, T or C does have that sorta run down hometown look and feel to it. darn those google virtual street level vids and clips! I was trying to get people to come and stay here singlehandedly, now I guess that idea is out the window. looks like I'll have to go plant some trees and bushes and get my 55 gallon paint bucket out again. I'm truly sorry for appearance our T or C gives people to look at it is somewhat embarrassing, I apologize for the whole town.
Sierra county asked the gov. for funds for projects and improvements, but bill turned us down, all of a sudden he's a conservative, which just goes to show people that demmies too can be conservatives when they want to be. .

Let nothing stop you...... Let me go get shovel & claw hammer. I'll be right there... With a few flowering shrubs & trees in tow. (& if you see a town lynching, check the end of the rope - you might see me!)

Quote:
I have heard, but do not know for sure, that deming is much windier than T or C, at least that's what people say. The climate here is warm and dry, hot in summer, monsoon rains of july and august drench the high desert, and suddenly, the hills and mountains turn green again. If you need to see green all of the time, buy yourself some houseplants, and keep them watered. In 2006, we visited the gila n.f., and were told that because of a 5 year drought, virtually everything was a tinderbox. there was no snow or rain enough for a 5 year period of time, and you could start a forest fire by just using your x-ray vision. everything turned green again and creeks and rivers flowed again in 2007, and the hills and mountains were green, for awhile.

Can't keep house plants... Allergist made me get rid them all. My cat & I are highly allergic to the molds that grow in the potting soil. Which is one of my many reasons to move to NM... Unless there is a chronic water leak somewhere, or the bread gets stale, I would anticipate little to no mold in the environment.

Quote:
What's there to do here? not much. T or C has that small town feel, as it is just a stopover in the high desert, and is surrounded by mountains. Elephant butte lake offers people recreation opportunities (a buddy of mine gave us some nice rainbow trout caught in the rio grande a few days ago)

Is the Rio clean enough to eat the fish?

I do not recommend eating fish from Lake Erie or Edinboro Lake up here, though some people do. They told me what was in the water & the fish in college, & I never forgot.

Quote:
you can boat, jetski, and swim if you dare, or, you can go check out the many areas of nearby forests of gila and cibola, or visit the high desert for viewing wildlife and prospecting/rock hunting. In the summer months, people have been known to gather on street corners and play music, street jams.
this is a link to my profile: http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...tz-342214.html
where I've done many posts about T or C and our neighboring forests, you'll have to weed thru my posts because I do like to be political at times.
If you decide to relocate here, we'll be your welcoming committee and show you around.
why are we here? it was a mistake. I came here due to health reasons, and sort of stayed here, mainly because we're sort of outdoorsy type people, we like it, but sometimes yearn for a big city. we were both born and raised in chicago, so you can see why it's been tasky getting used to small town life.
if you have questions, dm me and I'll answer as honestly as I can. good luck and welcome to city-data.
Thanks 6'3 for the heads up.
Warning: the sun shines most of the time here, and there are abundant blue skies, and may be habit forming!

I'm totally into street jams...

Chicago to T or C must have been quite a leap!

Thank you for your thoughts,

--PA Escapee

Last edited by PA Escapee; 02-05-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The spaceport is being constructed by the state of new mexico south of T or C for 200 million dollars to launch tourists in space in 2010 and one of the companies who will use it is virgin airlines/virgin records and it's billionaire owner Richard Branson from the U.K.

When completed it will hire people in the high tech and space aviation industry and also will have several factories in las cruces to build components for the rockets and look very futuristic.

6/3

Do the residents get to pick which Tourists get launched........

hehe

Old 02-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Lightbulb Weighing All Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Given what you have said here, I cannot imagine you liking it out here in the desert southwest.

It sounds like you want to come here and recreate what you left back home, so what is the point in relocating to a place where you apparently see so many negatives? Planting all of this extra stuff requires more water, and water is always an issue out in these parts. I don't live in T or C, but in Alamogordo, 80 miles southeast as the crow flies, and 140 miles by road.

Yes, many trees are deciduous, and lose their leaves in the winter.

Your moral of the story is right on the money! If you have to keep a humidifier there for skin problems, I wonder how you would fare in such a dry environment.

Just my two cents....

Cathy, I think you're reading things into my posts that I'm not saying...

I hold no illusion that I am going to recreate NW PA in NM... It would defy the laws of nature in order to do that. And if I really wanted to do it, I would simply stay here...

The goal of this thread was to shake out the truth of what the environment is really like from the perspectives of the people who live there, & then make an informed decision about moving. And so far, it's been very successful. The posts have been a great help to me, & I hope to others considering the area as well.

It's about weighing out all sides of an issue. No place on earth is going to be perfect. There are going to be pros & cons everywhere we live. We have to decide what plusses we want most where we're living, & what minuses we can accept in trade.

Apparently you missed all of the pros I've mentioned, & just read the cons.

Back to sorting & organizing...

--PA Escapee

Last edited by PA Escapee; 02-05-2009 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 02:18 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Escapee View Post
Do the residents get to pick which Tourists get launched........

hehe
Nope as only those with about $200,000 dollars will get to go into space .

Anyway if T or C or even Hatch can build new housing it may help in their local economies as it is closer to them than las cruces.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:20 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Quote:

I hold no illusion that I am going to recreate NW PA in NM... It would defy the laws of nature in order to do that. And if I really wanted to do it, I would simply stay here...

The goal of this thread was to shake out the truth of what the environment is really like from the perspectives of the people who live there, & then make an informed decision about moving. And so far, it's been very successful. The posts have been a great help to me, & I hope to others considering the area as well.

It's about weighing out all sides of an issue. No place on earth is going to be perfect. There are going to be pros & cons everywhere we live. We have to decide what plusses we want most where we're living, & what minuses we can accept in trade.

--PA Escapee

Also PA Escapee......if you need to see green now and then you will be about 30 minutes west from the Mogollon's and green national forest living in T or C.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Also PA Escapee......if you need to see green now and then you will be about 30 minutes west from the Mogollon's and green national forest living in T or C.
Sounds good to me.

TY for the Spaceport links,

--PA

Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,780,305 times
Quote:

--PA Escapee
Well, whatever you decide to do, good luck to you....

Old 02-07-2009, 12:53 AM

Question How Are Flea Issues In The Desert?

I put Front Line Plus on my pet yesterday, & I wondered...how is the Southwest for fleas?

Someone I spoke with this week suggested to me that fleas may be fewer in numbers & less of a force to contend in the SW, than they are in the Northeast US. They are a bear up here, & once they start an infestation indoors, however small, they will breed indoors all winter long.

For those pet owners (or, those owned by pets...), what has been your experience with fleas in SW NM vs. other parts of the US?

TY,

--PA Escapee

Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,587,405 times
Quote:
Someone told me yesterday that there are a lot of deciduous trees in T or C that lose their leaves in the Fall & bloom in February. So all of the leafless trees & shrubs we've seen in T or C might not be dead, just sleeping...

TY everyone for sharing your dreams, concerns, experiences, questions, & points of view in this thread. It has been a tremendous help & an inspiration to me this week.

All the best,

--PA Escapee
We do have seasons here, and things that look like 'sticks' now will burst with color come February and March. Quite a few of the different cacti also bloom, though some of their flowers last only one day, so you have to catch them just at the right moment.

As for the dryness, I also suffered from terrible dry skin, especially in the winter, back in NY/NJ. The need to have heat on constantly because of the cold was the biggest contributing factor. Since I've been here, my skin is much better. My swamp cooler puts enough humidity back into the air in the summer to keep me from drying out, and since it warms up so much during the day in the winter, the heat is only on early morning and evenings. As long as I remember to drink lots of water, and apply a good moisturizer, something we should do anyway no matter where we live, I have no dryness to speak of.

And, I cannot begin to quantify how much better life is when you don't have to contend with extreme cold and snow for months at a time.

As for fleas, we don't have too much of a problem with that in southern NM, but we do have a high incidence of heart worm.

Good luck with your move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico