Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 6,577 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good OBGYN in the Alamogordo/Ruidoso/Las Cruces area (or ones to stay away from)? We just moved to the area and my wife is due in 8 months! It will be our first and we are willing to drive to find a good one (or avoid a bad one).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 PM

390 posts, read 948,548 times
I like Michael Flax in Albuq. Have been his patient for about 30 years. Worth the drive and he will talk about any concerns. You say she is due? For a delivery or a check-up? If a delivery, Sue Brown in Ruidoso. So many varibles here, your wife and baby deserve the best of care.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM

4,960 posts, read 5,208,522 times
Congratulations!

I didn't live in your area so I don't know any specific names. I'd call the maternity ward at the hospital and ask for a tour. Ask the nurses who they would use. If that fails, I'd go to a couple of the local kiddie play areas like the playground and McDonald's playland and ask some of the moms there. Worst case, you may find out who to avoid.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 AM

Sara, that would be good in the Las Cruces area, but in Ruidoso a little different. In Ruidoso, a very small medical community, they use contracted doc's in the ER and you just have to gamble on who might be on call. As far as the nurses go, they never know who will respond, plus a small hospital with only nurse anesathist and no neonatal specialities. Would pick a larger town that has access to a medical center.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:12 PM

4,960 posts, read 5,208,522 times
Calling a hospital will give you the information you need to know. If the hospital isn't what is wanted or needed, then you will be able to find that out information by calling and visiting.

Another thing to keep in mind is that driving long distances may not appeal to your wife if she goes into labor. First babies usually take a while, but there are sometimes emergencies and those babies that come fast. Being in active labor and being in a car for any length of time isn't fun. I wouldn't want to go any farther than you had to. The OB-GYN I had with my first child gave me instructions not to go more than an hour away from the hospital during the last month. I'm assuming you live up in the mountains near Ruidoso if you're considering that for a hospital. I'd probably go ahead and check out that hospital just in case you didn't have time to get down the mountain. I think Alamogordo would probably be your best option. In my opinion, Las Cruces would be too far. You also have to consider that you'll be visiting the doctor monthly for a few months and then weekly. The distance, gas, and time off from work to get to and from those visits really add up.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:18 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,699,255 times
Her profile says she is in Alamogordo. I'm sure there is a good selection of doctors to choose from in a city that size.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,239,596 times
I live in Alamo and there is only one office of OB's here. It is the Center for Womens Health and Specialty Services and the only one I would say to stay away from is Amanda Banerji, I had a very bad experience with her. Everyone says that Dr Molina I think is her name is really good. If you need more info you can DM me. On the upside I do know a couple of L & D nurses at the hospital and they are really good.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Her profile says she is in Alamogordo. I'm sure there is a good selection of doctors to choose from in a city that size.
I wouldn't bet my last buck on it!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,239,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
I wouldn't bet my last buck on it!
You would be making a good decision not to bet your last buck. We are OB/GYN poor here.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,130 times
Default Las Cruces ob/gyn

At 22 weeks of pregnancy I developed really high blood pressure and was hospitalized, four days before we were scheduled to blindly move to Phoenix AZ! We were planning to "wing" it and get a Dr. once we arrived using a referral from friends and family in the area. My boyfriend and I were skeptical about the midwife we had been seeing due to my last pregnancies' multiple complications and premature delivery. We felt more comfortable if we could see a Dr., however, First step (a Dr. in the area) has so many providers you see a different Dr. every time you visit and the other Dr. in town makes you go to a 2 hour orientation before your first visit and has a long wait before your first appt. Unable to find any other options we went with Women's Medical Associates who have mostly midwives and thank God we did! Jill Tellez tested me thoroughly to find the source of my high blood pressure, was thorough in every way possible and had a wonderful bedside manner! I am no rookie this is my sixth pregnancy and I have 3 beautiful boys and have never had such good care! One of my boys was born in Chandler AZ and supposedly had the "best" Dr. in the area yet none were as thorough or caring as Jill. She even found me an OB in Phoenix and called for an appt. for me herself so our baby although high risk will still have onngoing care! Jill is great and I give Women's med ass. five stars!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico