U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 12,527 times
Default Northern New Mexico Cool Summer living?

I presently live in South Louisiana. The summer heat is just oppressive here and I am looking for a place to spend my summer months in an area that is decidedly cooler. I used to head to the Bay area in California and lease vacation homes for a couple of months, but that area has priced itself out of affordability and I figure I could buy something closer. Maybe build a house there.

My father tells me the higher locations in northern New Mexico is the ticket.

My question is, which towns in Northern New Mexico offer up the mildest summers? I don't care for desert areas and prefer an area that is reasonably green with mountains and springs and where land prices aren't blown out of preportion.

I will be planning a trip to Northern New Mexico soon to do some shopping around before summer arrives, so any ideas and advice would be appreciated.

Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 AM

6,681 posts, read 10,028,617 times
Angel Fire
http://pics.city-data.com/w1/lha14123.png (broken link)
http://pics.city-data.com/w2/hum14123.png (broken link)
http://www.city-data.com/city/Angel-...ew-Mexico.html
City Data has avg temps for all towns in NM. Just browse them and figure out which one suits you best is all i can say.

Clayton
http://pics.city-data.com/w1/lha14155.png (broken link)
http://pics.city-data.com/w2/hum14155.png (broken link)
http://www.city-data.com/city/Clayton-New-Mexico.html

Its all personal preferences. As you can see, Angel Fire is cooler than Clayton, but has higher humidity, which is something i hate. Id definately trade hotter weather and less humidity for it. But its all personal preference. Browse through the City Data pages and decide which is best for you and when you come back with more specific questions we can help you more.

Last edited by BrianH; 03-14-2007 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Added more info

Old 03-14-2007, 11:38 AM

271 posts, read 745,884 times
You will find in NM is a drier climate and perhaps some cooler summer temperatures. But you will miss the ocean, fresh seafood, the nightlife and the restaurants of Miami. Perhaps you will like the new things you will encounter, but remember that the summer is only one season and you have to put up with the rest, for example the winters in Northern NM are a lot colder than the ones in Florida.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:31 PM

271 posts, read 745,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
You will find in NM is a drier climate and perhaps some cooler summer temperatures. But you will miss the ocean, fresh seafood, the nightlife and the restaurants of Miami. Perhaps you will like the new things you will encounter, but remember that the summer is only one season and you have to put up with the rest, for example the winters in Northern NM are a lot colder than the ones in Florida.
I'm sorry, this response was meant for the person from Florida who was considering NM because of the hot weather and the high cost of livng in Key West, it also applies to some degree to the one from New Orleans.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:17 PM

25 posts, read 119,009 times
I lived in Gallup for 3 years and found the summers to be quite pleasant. It's usually around 85 during the day (can get up to 90, but DRY HEAT). It cools down to 60-65 at night. Winters are also mild. It snows a few times when it gets cold enough at night and typically melts by 10 AM the following day. Altitude: 6500!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 PM

93 posts, read 301,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2CoolOff View Post

My question is, which towns in Northern New Mexico offer up the mildest summers? I don't care for desert areas and prefer an area that is reasonably green with mountains and springs and where land prices aren't blown out of preportion.
Most of the northern part of the state is going to be relatively cool in the summer. But most of it is also a high desert. New Mexico is a desert state. So, you're not going to find a whole lot of "green" places- perhaps a bit after the monsoons come in the summer. You can drive the "enchanted circle" loop through angel fire and taos and get a sense of some more green areas. Chama can be fairly green, but has bitter winters, more so than the other northern towns. My experience with land in NM is that, at least up north, and in desirable areas, it is WAY more expensive than the same size land in other states I've lived recently (WA, ID). Any much of the land, even the expensive land, still is unimproved without water, sewer or electricity.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,527 times
Thanks for the information everyone. Just to be clear, I am only looking for another location to spend about 5 months each year away from the scorching summer heat of Louisiana.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:41 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,126,921 times
I'm with you there! Ft Worth has summers that are ferociously hot and humid too (probably hotter but somewhat less humid). Summers in Eagle Nest and Red River are wonderful. I think having dual residences in Alamogordo (winter) and Cloudcroft (summer) would be just about perfect...they are only about 21 miles apart, but 4000+ feet in elevation difference.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 PM

58 posts, read 189,167 times
Might want to look at Jemez Springs. Green, hot springs, hiking trails, camping areas. Funky downtown, if you can call it that, with the bath house, Zen Bodhi Center, Laughing Lizard Cafe, Deb's Diner, and whatever that bar's called . . .Los Ojos? Hummingbird Music Camp usually puts on a show Sunday evenings. Fun! The annual 4th of July Parade is wonderful small town kitch.

Maybe I've lived in NM too long, but the home and land prices strike me as reasonable. It's out there in more ways than one. . .40 minutes from Los Alamos and 1 1/2 hours from ABQ. But no more "out there" (in the conventional sense) than Angel Fire or Abiquiu.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 40,036 times
For a summer getaway? Red River or Eagle's Nest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico