Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,599,064 times

Advertisements

In my calculation the citi-data COL for Londonderry, NH is 117 and Socorro, NM is 82. That would be like giving me a 35% raise. It would effectively let me live on my retirement without cutting back very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 AM

339 posts, read 1,260,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
Considering the average american family's income is quite less than the amount you quoted, I think you'll do quite well, unless you have a huge medical debt or other extenuating circumstances.
I have no debt at all, as I am a teenager in Britain looking to move to the USA in about 5/6 years, and I was just starting research early.

The figures I quoted were just pulled from a job comparison web site. Just thought (from living in the UK and having no idea of COL comparison to the US) I'd find out more.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM

622 posts, read 1,719,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
I have no debt at all, as I am a teenager in Britain looking to move to the USA in about 5/6 years, and I was just starting research early.

The figures I quoted were just pulled from a job comparison web site. Just thought (from living in the UK and having no idea of COL comparison to the US) I'd find out more.
Good idea! And of course for a single guy there are other options to cut back on expenses like living in a shared house/roommate situation- you don't eat much lol. If you're going to be in school here, there are options there, like dorms, etc. as well.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:12 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,556,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
How well could your average guy survive in Roswell on $77k?
I live on ~$12k/yr in Ruidoso, and this is a more expensive area. Though many would disagree, I consider this way above *survival*. I could survive on ~$8k. $3k/yr for rent (shared), $2k/yr for food (no eating out), $1.5k/yr for vehicle expense, $1.5k/yr for the rest.

For $77k in Roswell I'm sure you afford to live like a very irregular guy...

Old 02-06-2009, 03:55 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
You'd probably live like a king out there collins .
Or a queen!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,538,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Or a queen!

Yeah that also although Collins is a male so i'm not sure if he would prefer living like a queen. But then again .

Old 02-07-2009, 04:59 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,538,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I live on ~$12k/yr in Ruidoso, and this is a more expensive area. Though many would disagree, I consider this way above *survival*. I could survive on ~$8k. $3k/yr for rent (shared), $2k/yr for food (no eating out), $1.5k/yr for vehicle expense, $1.5k/yr for the rest.

For $77k in Roswell I'm sure you afford to live like a very irregular guy...
LOL....you ought to write a book on how to live on little income especially with this economy as you'd probably make a killing in royalties rruff .

Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 AM

339 posts, read 1,260,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
Good idea! And of course for a single guy there are other options to cut back on expenses like living in a shared house/roommate situation- you don't eat much lol. If you're going to be in school here, there are options there, like dorms, etc. as well.
I am planning to move out after finishing university in the UK so dorms probably would not be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Or a queen!
Quote:
Yeah that also although Collins is a male so i'm not sure if he would prefer living like a queen. But then again .
King. Definitely.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,556,940 times
Quote:
LOL....you ought to write a book on how to live on little income especially with this economy as you'd probably make a killing in royalties rruff .
Then what would I do with all that money?

The best experience was when I quit work in '91 and lived in my truck just traveling around... mostly camping in the wilderness for 12 years. I intended it to be a "sabatical" until I found something better to do... but I liked it so much, and I learned to live so cheap, that I kept at it for much longer than intended. Rising gas prices and lower interest rates necessitated some sort of employment... then I met my wife.

I guess you could say that my tolerance for full-time jobs and careers has gone to zero. I'd rather have some control over how I spend my day, even if it means making a whole lot less money. I work just enough to get by... and no more.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,151,483 times
I can say that the cost of living in Roswell is far below most of the rest of the state, but this is more true for long-term residents than short-term ones.

Finding places to rent is challenging, and many of the available ones cater to the law enforcement academies which offer monthly stipends of (no this is not a typo) $2100 per month for housing allowance. Cost of rent: $2100. The places are kinda nice but more of a $1000 per month in Albuquerque equivalent. You can find cheaper but it is not easy.

Finding places to buy is ridiculously easy. A mortgage payment on a 3 bedroom, 1 bath fixer-upper is on the order of $300 per month. Roswell has a HUGE glut of available housing.

If you're used to the English countryside, where a provincial attitude prevails and the people share little in common with the Londoners, Roswell might be an easier adjustment. The politics and the people there (Roswell) tend to be very opposed to the more liberal points of view you encounter in coastal areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico