Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:22 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,284,735 times

Advertisements

What beautiful horses.
I like the name Killian too. It's my maiden name.

Our dog is microchipped but he was that way when we got him at the shelter. Didn't know it was required.
He has had a rabie shot and distemper. We were told that if he were hospitalized or boarded, they would require paperwork on these shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 07:31 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,235,401 times
Sorry, got so carried away, I forgot to respond to the posts, lol!

I hope my *fence* is really a wall. I guess we'll see though.

I didn't realize there was a vaccine for rattlers. Someone we met out there had a red heeler who was recovering from a bite.

Ya know, Drac. You don't have to OWN a horse. You can always foster for a local rescue group. Then if it doesn't work out or you find a horse is more work than you'd like, you're not tied into it.

Rich, do all pets have to be licensed, even those in the country? Everyone is neutered.

Mort- really? One of the dogs is done. That's it. We choose not to do our horses, as it's proven that the chip travels too much and can cause serious issues down the road.

Yeah, Hopeful. They're getting what we call "Brain Surgery" around here. :-)

Alison, we do west nile here as well and keep them all current on all basic shots, although the state doesn't require them. Like you said, it only takes one exposure.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,604,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Just FYI, I received the following from a friend and fellow animal advocate:

"Rep. John Heaton from Carlsbad has introduced House Bill 667, link below, which will require all pit bulls and rottweilers in the state to be registered as dangerous dogs under the Dangerous Dog Act, regardless of whether the dog has any history of violence. The restrictions on dangerous dogs are serious and the simple act of not registering a pit bull or rottweiler would be cause for prosecution. The dangerous dog act was passed specifically to avoid the State going down the road of breed specific legislation and this bill would undo that. Please look at the bill and call your legislators and the sponsor to let them know that you oppose the bill, that dogs are not inherently violent and it is the owner who trains them to be so and that there are many sweet and friendly pit bulls and rottweilers who should not be punished for the bad acts of a few individuals.

http://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/09%2...use/HB0667.pdf

You can find your legislators through the legislative website at www.nmlegis.gov ."

I just received a follow-up email: these are the committee members to contact directly:
New Mexico Legislature
UPDATE ON THIS:
I got an email tonight saying that the calls and letters had influenced the legislator(s) to amend the bill to eliminate the specific breed restrictions.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 AM

Thanks, Song. He originally came with the name Dylan. That stupid 90210 show kept running through my head, so we changed it. It's the name on his papers now :-)

Josey was chipped when we got her too. She's got the wee tattoo as well.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,538,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Rich, do all pets have to be licensed, even those in the country? Everyone is neutered.
I don't know about other areas, Rio Rancho requires you to license all cats and dogs annually. Pet licenses are $2.00 for Seniors Spay/Neutered Animals, $4.00 for Spayed/Neutered Animal.

Rich

Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 AM

622 posts, read 1,718,768 times
Thanks for that great story Rose! I'd give you some reps, but it said I must spread the love first. lol

Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks, Mina :-)

Thanks, Rich. I'll check and see what I can find out abou tthe East Mountain area.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:45 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,335,298 times
A bit off topic, but everyone please make sure your pets are currents on shots. The news last night told of a rabid bobcat in southern NM. Not a creature I'd want to tangle with! I believe it killed a dog, but don't quote me on that.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:33 PM

464 posts, read 1,153,673 times
Default Ramblin' Phone #'s to call for Info.

Ping-ya hopefully!
Hey girl, here are a couple of places to call to get the Info you seek I believe.

1st website: www.nmhorsecouncil.org

2009 Pres. Rusty Cook- Albuquerque- 505-877-1456, cell# is 505-249-7586.
The office # (which might be closed by the time you see this, and I don't know that Rusty would be there anyways) is
Council Office#-505-345-8959
Email: RustyCook4412@msnDOTcom

(I think they close at 5pm MT. but you should be able to get Rusty after hours. All of this information icluding his phone numbers are on the homepage of their Website)
This organization also deals with the NM Horse Racing Industry to some extent, so they deal with the cross state lines issues alot too. In and Out of State.

An Equine Vet in Santa Fe that I believe (if memory serves me) was one of the first Equine Vets helping with "The Great Santa Fe Trail (endurance) Race" (horses from all over the country coming into NM for the Start camps, with this one. He might also be one to call direct to get the scoop on what all is Required and should be done, for the move as well as the living there part
I don't know him personally, but I am very impressed with the helpful information he provides on his website. Many good articles there for us horsey types.

Dr. Thal's clinic and Equine hospital site is: http://www.thalequine.com
phone# is: 505-438-6590

One other place to look for more info might be this one:
www.tripswithhorses.com
(my notes say it has something to do with the State Horse Transportation Requirements.)

Two things crossed my mind to ask about or consider as well. One is check to see if the horses have to have a "VS" test- Vesicular Stomatitis, a contagious equine illness, that they quarentine horses who have it in NM. You might know that one.

Something else I want to find out more about myself is "Sand Colic" Prevention. It IS a NM concern.

I might post a seperate Topic for this one to get some feedback on, as I am rather concerned about a Midwest horse moving to a sandy soiled NM, hopefully within this year

Don't forget to PM me with that other important information asap Girl!

I hope these numbers and websites help ya's out!

Tia Dalma

Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM

464 posts, read 1,153,673 times
Default Correction, 1 wrong website above, dang it!

Sorry Ramblin' one of the sites I posted the URL for is the wrong one that I wanted.

Here's the one that has All of the states regulations info for "import and export" (yeah, usda site )
Put "animal livestock import export regulations" in the search engine on their site. Then you should get a page that let's you pick the State you are interested in, for it's "regulations and requirements"

Just put in the State you are interested in here:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov

(there is a barn-load of other info on this site as far as ag. livestock etc. too)

I would still call that NM horse council and maybe that/an Equine Vet in NM too
(don't forget about that "VS" issue, I think Oklahoma is one state that requires 30days test results papers on that one, can't remember others right now, which "might" only apply to you IF you spend the night in OK, note sure. Just hate to have you get a 'ticket' for not having what you need for the states you travel through to NM, too. That CYB thinkin' )

Sorry for the one mistake in my above post! (that's just a 'fluff' site imho )

Talk with ya's later,

Tia Dalma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico