Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 AM

30 posts, read 108,253 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on the process for converting out of state licenses and vehicle registrations to New Mexico? Is this a one-day process (i.e. you walk out of the DMV with your new license) or do they issue you a non-photo temporary?) Also what documentation is required? I would think out of state license, lease on condo to show NM address, SS card, passport, etc. would be more than enough? Just asking because this is different in every state and we are wondering if we can get this chore out of the way when we come out to sign the condo papers in March, in advance of the "big move" in early April. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbywaters View Post
Any thoughts on the process for converting out of state licenses and vehicle registrations to New Mexico? Is this a one-day process (i.e. you walk out of the DMV with your new license) or do they issue you a non-photo temporary?) Also what documentation is required? I would think out of state license, lease on condo to show NM address, SS card, passport, etc. would be more than enough? Just asking because this is different in every state and we are wondering if we can get this chore out of the way when we come out to sign the condo papers in March, in advance of the "big move" in early April. Thank you!!
I think that's pretty much it for ID.
It isn't a one-day process, however, since they verify vehicle titles here before issuing registrations and that can take a week or so.

Here's a link to some useful state info:
http://www.tax.state.nm.us/mvd/mvd_home.htm

Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
I always used MVD Express up in albuquerque as it never took longer than 15 minutes for any services and costs an extra $15.00 which to me was well worth it by getting in and out of the MVD office by 15 minutes.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 AM

Thanks! We are moving to Santa Fe but as ABQ is only about 1:15 away by car that may be worth it for the "express" option on our last day there for the March trip. Doubt there's anything other than the traditional full-service DMV in Santa Fe.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
There IS a MVD Express location on St. Michael's Drive in Santa Fe.

They were VERY quick ... if you get there early in the morning. I think it backs up later in the day.

We did get temporary driver licenses and had to wait for several weeks to get our permanent licenses in the mail. They told us this is because added security features required that the applications go to Washington DC for processing now.

Using MVD Express adds a few dollars to the cost of the services there (license and registration) BUT it is well worth it in time (and hassle) saved.

(They laughed at us when we picked out our license plates. I chose the traditional Zia plate for my car and my husband chose the balloon plate for his truck. I told the woman, "I have been waiting 40 years to get one of these Zia plates for my car!" )

And ... I really can't say enough about how nice and friendly and professional the people at MVD Express were.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
For us. State License, less than an hour, as long as you have all the paperwork. Proof of insurance seems to be a hang-up for some people.

Vehicles, I thought I had to bring each one in so they could verify VIN. I know I had to with the Motorcycle.

Rich

Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
darbywaters wondered:

> ... what documentation is required? I would think
> ... lease on condo to show NM address, ....

Bring a utility bill and phone bill with the address on it.
They made me go home and get it.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,030 times
Should be fairly simple UNLESS you have a CDL license. Then you jump through more hoops than a million circus dogs ever did.
Took my husband 7 trips to motor vehicle to get his license. They neglect to tell to bring something different each time you go. Grrrrrrrr. The medical paperwork sent to Santa Fe was lost by the office there, luckily RR had a copy of it.
Then they mailed it out and he never got it because they put down the wrong zip code. So that meant having to go through the whole BS again.
This has been our old bad experience with NM.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:14 PM

170 posts, read 648,520 times
To get my car registered I had to bring it in and they do a vin inspection. They told me they'd call when it was ready. I waited a month before I went to the MDV office and the paperwork was never submitted. I would recommend that you follow up within a week because it only takes a few days to get a vin verification. After that little mixup everything went smoothly. Hope all goes well!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:13 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info. So what I think we may do is get the insurance switched first (we have State Farm so I would expect we could go into a SF agent's office in Santa Fe, switch policies over, and get a new card for our car with the Santa Fe mailing address on it), and wait until the first electric and cable bills arrive with our names and new address on it, and then approach DMV sometime after the "big move" in April. We have a clear title to the car so that should be fairly easy to turn into a NM title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico