Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,332,469 times

Advertisements

Heck I just use 5 gallon buckets with some drainage holes drilled in the bottom. Works great for me. I used to grow lettuce in an old 6 ft long metal chicken feeder. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Heck I just use 5 gallon buckets with some drainage holes drilled in the bottom. Works great for me. I used to grow lettuce in an old 6 ft long metal chicken feeder. LOL
I use those, too, for smaller chiles and container (Patio, Cherry) tomatoes.

I've never gotten any standard tomatoes of decent size and quantity in 5 or 7 gallon containers. They just aren't big enough!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,332,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I use those, too, for smaller chiles and container (Patio, Cherry) tomatoes.

I've never gotten any standard tomatoes of decent size and quantity in 5 or 7 gallon containers. They just aren't big enough!
Weird. I had huge tomatoes. Maybe it was the kind you were growing. I always planted Big Boys or Beefsteak.
Will be interesting to see how well I can garden out here. I am used to a short growing season.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Weird. I had huge tomatoes. Maybe it was the kind you were growing. I always planted Big Boys or Beefsteak.
Will be interesting to see how well I can garden out here. I am used to a short growing season.
You grew beefsteak in 5 gallon buckets?!? Whoa!! LOL!!

I have never grown those, because some of the huge varieties like that usually don't do very well in a hot, hot climate like West Texas. I don't know how they'd do here in Alamo, but since the climates are very similar (just cooler nights here), I didn't include them.

I have these that have germinated: Patio, Celebrity, Champion, Porter, Husky Cherry. The Patio/Cherry will go in 5-7 gallon buckets. The rest will go in the Earthbox wanna-bes.

Some of the Joe Parkers and Big Jims are up, too.

I just got a seed packet from the New Mexico Chile Institute (NMSU-LC) that contains the original NuMex 6-4 heritage variety...supposed to have that old-time good flavor!

I am debating whether I want to start one of those!!

Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM

405 posts, read 1,331,319 times
WOW! It is crazy you guys are talking about growing tomatoes! Just tonight I was in Lowes and ran into the seed aisle and I was wondering if they can be planted on a balcony! And passing the guys on the corners selling corn made me super hungry for some fresh veggies!! I'm going to go back and read all six pages of this thread..but what else can be grown down here like that? I've never done anything but a regular garden...but living in this apartment makes it difficult. Guess I could sneak outside and pull up some sod! lol. Anyway. I look foward to what I learn...and when it can be planted! happy growing!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 PM

405 posts, read 1,331,319 times
Hey...while we're on the topic and someone was talking about greenhouses...I visited a few today..and there was either no one around to help..or the person who was didn't know a dang thing.
Does anyone know about Grape Ivy? I had a beeeeautiful one while moving here...and I rather neglected it by leaving it in the car for a few days. I knew I shouldn't have...but heck..I had other things to think about!
Anyway..I know that its a type of plant that can produce a new lineage of you cut it off at the right area..so..I chopped it down. If you know about this plant...will it come back around or am I wasting my time? Any other tips? Its sooo sad!
I did the same with a plant that I got from my grandfathers funeral. I still can't figure out what it is...the stem looked almost bamboo like..the leavse like a peace lilly although it doesn't flower. Hopefully..after its little choppy-choppy..it'll come around!??

Old 03-01-2009, 10:10 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,243,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You grew beefsteak in 5 gallon buckets?!? Whoa!! LOL!!

I have never grown those, because some of the huge varieties like that usually don't do very well in a hot, hot climate like West Texas. I don't know how they'd do here in Alamo, but since the climates are very similar (just cooler nights here), I didn't include them.

I have these that have germinated: Patio, Celebrity, Champion, Porter, Husky Cherry. The Patio/Cherry will go in 5-7 gallon buckets. The rest will go in the Earthbox wanna-bes.

Some of the Joe Parkers and Big Jims are up, too.

I just got a seed packet from the New Mexico Chile Institute (NMSU-LC) that contains the original NuMex 6-4 heritage variety...supposed to have that old-time good flavor!

I am debating whether I want to start one of those!!

We have had really good luck with any tomatoes we have grown since being here. Of course they weren't in 5 gallons buckets so I don't know. We planted alot of different tomatoes last year and the only thing that I ended up not liking how they grew were the tomatillos. They are garden hogs and take up so much room. We just make sure we put tons of manure in the dirt, dh tills it really good and then does Miracle Gro every 2 weeks. We had tomatoes this last year until the end of November. We shall see how this year goes as we are reduced to either buckets or the earthbox wannabes.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
We have had really good luck with any tomatoes we have grown since being here. Of course they weren't in 5 gallons buckets so I don't know. We planted alot of different tomatoes last year and the only thing that I ended up not liking how they grew were the tomatillos. They are garden hogs and take up so much room. We just make sure we put tons of manure in the dirt, dh tills it really good and then does Miracle Gro every 2 weeks. We had tomatoes this last year until the end of November. We shall see how this year goes as we are reduced to either buckets or the earthbox wannabes.
I think you'll like the boxes once you get used to them and their ease of care. No tilling, cutworms, etc.

Typical tomatillo behavior for sure......they are very invasive and will spread out all over creations, LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico