Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM

775 posts, read 2,581,454 times

Advertisements

Now is the Time to start adding Fertilizer and Turning over the Soil and Raking your yard and gathering dry leafs and using them for Mulch or to put back into the Soil. We are probably going to have Cyclonic Conditions all through Spring and into summer so dont forget to fertilize your lawn and water it to keep the Wind from blowing away the roots and to give it strength. KID TIP... Fruit Trees and Evergreens need watering in these Dry Conditions. el pintada kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,603,124 times
It was pretty dry, but we just got 2 feet of fresh powder up on the mountain. It was waist deep on Tuesday.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:29 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,876,068 times
Ooh lucky you. We got a dusting. Happy to see that melted into the ground.

I am waiting with bated breath to see if the buffalo grass lawn I started last summer revives and gets thicker this summer.

I am also going to prepare my square foot garden very very soon.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,236,699 times
Glad I saw this post. I've been going over garden catalogs, looking for varieties that do well in NM climate. Any recommendations or does anyone wanna share what they're planting?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 PM

622 posts, read 1,719,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Glad I saw this post. I've been going over garden catalogs, looking for varieties that do well in NM climate. Any recommendations or does anyone wanna share what they're planting?
That's so funny! I have too. This is a nifty link for vegetable gardens. http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/circ457b.pdf
I also seem to remember Towanda on another thread giving the name of a good gardening book for New Mexico.
One exciting thing I've been researching is buried clay pot irrigation. I'm thinking this might be just the thing to effectively keep plants hydrated and not use wasteful drip-irrigation systems.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,017,095 times
Just don't plant before the last frost.. all your work will be for nothing. And if you are in an area where deer are, put up high fence.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:46 PM

775 posts, read 2,581,454 times
Default Planting In New Mexico Tips

I would not plant till the end of April or into May but even then we can still get snow till the end of May here in the Center of New Mexico. I dont have much of a Green Thumb but what i plant are Yellow Squash, Cucumbers, Radishes, Carrots, and Pumpkins for Halloween and i try to plant when theres a Full Moon. But Corn does well too and Green Chili and Beans and Tomatoes. Usually theres vendors all over N.M. with Chili and Tomato plants everywhere. P.S. You can grow Watermelons and Cantalopes in the Center and Northern N.M. but sometimes we dont have enough Warm Weather or its too Cold for them to Grow to Maturity unless you can find a Warm Spot in your yard with good soil. el pintada kid

Old 02-13-2009, 06:55 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,876,068 times
I don't leave anything unprotected til the end of May. I think our last frost date is mid to late May here in the E Mtns.

Going off of memory (I have a spreadsheet with planting dates etc for this year's garden) only things like peas are going in ground before Memorial Day. I think I am keeping my seedlings indoors til then.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,484,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
It depends a whole lot on the altitude. In some parts of NM it's almost too cold to grow anything but pine trees, even in the southern regions, it's too cold at night even in mid-summer for tomatoes to grow well unless you're careful where you locate them.

Apple trees can produce apples where there are enough cold nights to keep them dormant well enough -- there has to be 28 days with temperatures below freezing in order for most apple trees to bear fruit. Peaches do well where it's warm. Cherries need more cool weather so they do okay in higher places or the north. I don't think anywhere in NM is warm enough for tropical fruits.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,800,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It depends a whole lot on the altitude. In some parts of NM it's almost too cold to grow anything but pine trees, even in the southern regions, it's too cold at night even in mid-summer for tomatoes to grow well unless you're careful where you locate them.

Apple trees can produce apples where there are enough cold nights to keep them dormant well enough -- there has to be 28 days with temperatures below freezing in order for most apple trees to bear fruit. Peaches do well where it's warm. Cherries need more cool weather so they do okay in higher places or the north. I don't think anywhere in NM is warm enough for tropical fruits.
As far as tomatoes, I started using portable planters last summer. While it's plenty warm in Alamo for a good tomato crop, I had tomatoes in June because I was able to get them out early. If the nights were consistently below 55 (which they often were), I just wheeled the suckers either into the kitchen or the garage, and wheeled them back out the next morning.

I had tomatoes from June to November because it was so easy to move them if necessary.

If I move farther north, I'll have to do the same, because the growing season is shorter! You can also use row covers, but if the ground is too cold anyway, tomatoes and chiles are not going to thrive until the soil warms up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico