Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,437,079 times

Advertisements

"these smaller podunk towns do not have anything for people who are homeless."

They're getting there. ABQ does have some great services, including an ACT team ( Assertive Community Treatment, you can google for an explanation of how it works ), which is a nationally recognized and implemented program in a lot of cities/areas. ACT's whole purpose is long term help for the chronically homeless. They spend a lot of money treating clients, and they have a good success record, considering the difficulty of working with that population. Much better than the odd meal/sermon and a clean blanket. I'll find out if there are plans to start one in your area, I know there is one now in Farmington, as well as the ones in ABQ.
Your typical "well" person does not want to live on the street, toting all of their belongings in a shopping cart and walking around in their own filth. They got there somehow. Usually it starts with the mental illness, that impairs judgement, the drugs/alcohol are an escape and then it's hard/impossible to break the cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Roy, probably PTSD plus who knows what else from getting no mental health treatment. PTSD can lead to other things too.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:34 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,581,341 times
Welcome back Pintada Kid. I have missed the Master of the run on sentence,

The prefab plastic igloo is a good idea. You could even make arch sections to make it longer. Another alternative is teaching folks how to make small adobe houses. That would keep them busy.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:26 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,962,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
Maybe PK has stock in the Igloo Corp?

Tia Dalma
I'm still lauging at this hahha

Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,150,906 times
good idea.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:36 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,962,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
"these smaller podunk towns do not have anything for people who are homeless."
Espanola does, Last I heard they have a homless shelter now. Which is good, to keep em' off the street. It gets COLD there...

Old 06-19-2009, 03:05 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,654,141 times
I worked for 10 years for a Yacht Manufacturer. In 2000, I proposed my company hold a contest for college students etc to design a living unit made of fiberglass to be used as a temp homeless shelter. They thought that was an idea whose time had not yet come. 9 years later this 45 year old company is closed and we have a heck of a lot of homeless people. Why don't people have any vision for the future? I'm a baby boomer, I live in the Seattle area, I would much prefer an igloo to the street any day. Years ago, I personally designed a sort of shopping cart that folded out into a shelter for one person. There are a heck of a lot of people here living in their trucks and trailers and tents. None of them are habitually homeless, drunks, druggies or mentally ill. Just unemployed beyond their benefits with no place to go right now to get better. This could be all of you. If you don't believe that enough to think about this subject, you are dreaming..

Last edited by yukiko11; 06-19-2009 at 03:14 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 05:30 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,581,341 times

I just thought that a concrete Igloo lined with insulation and nailed to the ground with earth anchors could make a great tornado shelter. They would look line medium size culverts above ground with end caps. They could be precast, fitted with minimum interiors and shipped and assembled just as other precast good are delivered. They could be homeless shelters for the future homeless in Tornado Alley.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:58 AM

A shelter is just a start. It's simply a place to sleep and does not necessarily provide any services besides a cot/bed, a blanket and perhaps a simple meal. Frankly, it may just be a warm place that prevents some of the homeless population from exposure to the weather and other bad "elements."

Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,654,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
A shelter is just a start. It's simply a place to sleep and does not necessarily provide any services besides a cot/bed, a blanket and perhaps a simple meal. Frankly, it may just be a warm place that prevents some of the homeless population from exposure to the weather and other bad "elements."
You have obviously not ever been homeless. A person cannot accomplish anything without a good nights sleep in a warm place and a simple meal.
If I had a chance at a good job, I would drive to the location and sleep in my truck in a campground or a reststop to have the ability to make myself presentable to a possible employer the next morning. I am 58 years old. I am not proud.
People who are not what you would call hopelessly homeless, are not going to stay in this situation. They will eventually get out and go on to the future. Those who cannot get out because of physical medical or mental conditions need to require other consideration which is a whole other subject and meant for another blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico