U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2009, 12:28 PM

7,088 posts, read 11,720,683 times
Default Earth Friendly New Mexico

Your ideas on recycling, solar, wind, water conservation and night sky in rural NM towns please.
Our community will be discussing these after our meeting next month. I'm in charge of doing some research on the subjects and need some opinions/ideas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 03:43 PM

2,236 posts, read 3,083,491 times
ToC seems to be becoming a sort of alternative enclave. Never been there but it's on my itinerary.

Green Acre: Mikey and Wendy Show Off Their Tools at Ryan Is Hungry (http://ryanishungry.com/2007/05/19/green-acre-mikey-and-wendy-show-off-their-tools/ - broken link)

Old 02-15-2009, 05:25 PM

6,926 posts, read 10,549,542 times
We are looking into Wind Energy here right now. Have not been to a meeting to see where we are with the project. Friend of mine set upa company and he made a whole house run on solar recently, pretty impressive project IMO. As for water conservation I did bring this up but the previous City Manager had no interest in it :| Need to bring it up to the current one and see what he thinks.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:46 PM

220 posts, read 418,095 times
Thumbs up Hot water on demand

Song, I haven't had any personal experience with Solar or Wind, but at the ranch in CA, we had the owner put in a 'on demand' system for our Hot water. It was so slick It's a bit expensive for the initial system but it is well worth it. The water is instantly hot, you never run out of hot water, and it was a money saver because the hot water heater doesn't have to maintain a constant temp. I sure do miss it.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:57 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,223,561 times
I'm all for making best use of the renewable natural resources like solar and wind (of course with wind there is the noise issue). In rural NM, I would think recycling would only make sense if you did not expend more resources than you save getting the used items to a processor. It is my understanding most residential New Mexicans are fairly good about water conservation but ag-use is a huge percentage of water usage and is protected (we do want to have our pintos and green chiles).

Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 PM

17,150 posts, read 17,859,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful transplant View Post
we had the owner put in a 'on demand' system for our Hot water. It was so slick It's a bit expensive for the initial system but it is well worth it. The water is instantly hot, you never run out of hot water, and it was a money saver because the hot water heater doesn't have to maintain a constant temp.
The 'Demand Water Heaters' were being used in Europe in the late 70's, when I lived there. They are a bit expensive initially but if planned for in new construction some of the costs are reduced. It's also nice to have instant hot water at a sink, for example. There just does not seem to be a real energy saving push in the US.

Rich

Old 02-15-2009, 07:06 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,223,561 times
Are the on demand the same thing as a tankless hw system? Sounds like it. My neighbor put one in last year and loves it.

Takes a good 2-3 min for hot tap water for us and in the summer I can use that time to fill up buckets for the garden, but it just seems like a waste when you can get it on demand.

When we lived in Iceland, we had awesomely hot water from the taps b/c of the geothermal energy and water system they had. Kept the apt toasty as well.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,829,892 times
Regarding 'night sky', I have read that Alamogordo, because of all the observatories nearby, has a strict light-pollution ordinance which demands that streetlights, etc. are to be shielded on top so that virtually no light is allowed to escape skyward. The city is difficult to see from the air at night, unlike other cities which blaze at night. All cities should follow this policy.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:28 PM

181 posts, read 467,112 times
Default Recent 'Green' Sighting....

I posted this in 'Albuquerque Green' but I may as well put it here too:

I traveled to Roswell last weekend and counted 40 wind turbines being installed near Willard. I'm not sure how many kilowatts each turbine will provide (maybe 150kW-200kW is my guess) but it is a very good location since they are on top of the mesa where the wind is constant. I also noticed new poles for power lines (lines yet to be pulled through) running from the base of the mesa, along the highway, to a spot where they will tie into the utility. I wonder if this wind farm is part of PNM's Sky Blue program--

I'll post some photos when I get a chance...

Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 AM

824 posts, read 1,756,273 times
Default Solar Wind

There are also lots of Wind Turbines in the Pastura N.M. and the Ft Sumner area speaking of wind we are expecting winds in the 60 plus MPH in the next few days. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico