Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,042,973 times

Advertisements

Towanda asked:

> Weren't we supposed to be telling the OP where the most verdant
> parts of NM were?

Yeah, but to "build a homestead or bugout palace in case of apocalypse or rapture" ...

*I* was commenting on that bit.

I also commented on the broad and general put-down which is becoming all to common. Specifically regarding "Kristian Kooks."

If one has an issue with some specific members of a group, I have no problem with that, but painting with a broad brush? What about that?

How would it be if the OP came on and casually mentioned the "worthless citizens of a completely backwardk and trashy state of New Mexico?"

I can come up with lots of examples of backwards people and trashy places in New Mexico, but I'm getting tired of the broad generalizations I'm seeing all over the NM forums.

Hence, I called them out on it. I'd do it whether they were picking on the right or the left ( or the up or the down ).

There are lots of specific individuals in the news that can be trashed freely for their despicable actions. Let's stick to that.

Had the OP just asked the "verdant" question, I would have left it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
I'm looking for a place to build a homestead or bugout palace in case of apocalypse or rapture (Hey, the Kristian Kooks could be right, why take a chance?). Someplace with adequate water to grow a garden for 6 people with lots of privacy but not too far from civilization. Yes, I want my cake and eat it too. Am I correct in thinking the SW part of NM is more verdant than the rest?
Along the Rio Grande where irrigation canals are located. The river valley is some of the most fertile ground in the US.

If you are looking at apocalypse, then somewhere along the river or a river in southern NM where you don't have to worry about heating in winter would be smart. The only thing is that these are also highly populated which could be bad in worse case scenario.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:11 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,005,085 times
[quote=geos;7478621](Hey, the Kristian Kooks could be right, why take a chance?). QUOTE]

Gee ... ya suppose we could leave the religious insults out of the thread too?

Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,558,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I am afraid I have to agree with Mortimer...
Me too.

Property rights will go out the window when things get that bad, and we have more than a couple hundred million city dwellers that will be heading out to the countryside in a hurry. Being near civilization is a bad idea.

So what would be the best choice?

Remote and unpopulated for starters.
Hard to get to and far from any roads.
A natural spring or or clean stream that runs all year.
Fenced and guarded.
Plenty of guns and ammo... a very important asset.
You'd want your compound and the number of people in it large enough to discourage small marauding groups of thugs and not so big as to interest large ones.
Next to forested public land for firewood and game.

I'm thinking Catron County...

Old 02-17-2009, 05:18 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,613,550 times
To answer the verdant question, look for the water. Rio Grande valley. Middle Pecos. Gila in the southwest. Rio Hondo with the orchards.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 AM

My answer to the verdant question is: Look to the Mountains:

The Sangre de Cristos

The Jemex

The Sacramentos

The Sandias

That's where New Mexico's big trees and greenest areas are.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:59 AM

775 posts, read 2,582,530 times
Default My Preference

If i decided to live in the Mountains i would pick the Gila Wilderness near Silver City which is bigger then a couple of Eastern States. Im Sure the Animals could use the Food especially with the Greatest Winter Drought weve had in over 100 years. el pintada kid

Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,592,512 times
Quote:
Am I correct in thinking the SW part of NM is more verdant than the rest?
I think your assumptions are incorrect. You have picked the driest state in the nation. We do not have large populations in New Mexico for a reason. You live in New York? Consider Pennsylvania or West Virginia. I've lived in the area. Or even Missouri. Plenty of cheap land which you can survive on.

Rich

Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 AM

OOOPS! I can't edit my post and I spelled Jemez wrong!!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,629,326 times
Quote:
Am I correct in thinking the SW part of NM is more verdant than the rest?
For the most part. Lots of pecans, chiles, fruit trees and the like.

Mesilla Valley: The Rio Runs Through It
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico