Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM

215 posts, read 650,798 times

Advertisements

It's not the bears that I'm so worried about, I have seen them about 150 yds from home. It's one of their favorite stops at night in the fall, and am told they are very numerous in the summer as well. But it's the lions that have me concerned. I know it sounds so terrible to even think about giving up my dogs, and I really would try everything possible before it came to that. I love my dogs very much. We have had wind gusts today of 30mph, which isn't too bad. I hope people stay smart with fire when travelling, using ATV's off road, etc. Off road vehicles can spark a grass fire really quick, been there, seen it, don't have the T-shirt though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 PM

215 posts, read 650,798 times
Thanks for posting those sites HighDesertMutz.....much appreciated...

Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,316,331 times
http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/...Forest-%20Home
Cibola National Forest - Welcome!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,297,928 times
We're atv'ing this coming Saturday after a birthday party for one of the firemen here so I guess it's okay to atv.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,558,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
That Bear is half the Size of the one that Almost got me in Corona N.M. a couple of years ago. el pintada kid
I'm interested in how you can tell how big it is from that photo...

Old 02-19-2009, 08:58 AM

775 posts, read 2,582,530 times
Default The Bear

I can tell by the size of the Branch and the weight it would take to hold that bear and im sure the bear that i saw close up Very Close up weighed probably twice as much as i do and i dont think that branch would have held him. P.S. i took a picture of the Bear after i was leaving from at least 50 yds away with my 35 mm and it was still there waiting for me and it was a Big Reddish Brown Bear and it could run like a horse it didnt give me time to get to my truck. Black Bears are common in New Mexico but Reddish Brown are not. BEAR TIP... Bears eat anything even their own especially the big bears like to eat the Smaller Bears. There was a time when Bears did Run from you in the Wild but not Anymore now that they are Hungry possibly injured and Scared i would think that is gonna apply to Mountain Lions also. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico