Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,815 times

Advertisements

Springtime is coming and the Winds come with it as always here in New Mexico. This is the Warmest winter in over 100 years and ive never seen so little Moisture that means forest fires and hungry animals will be everywhere. KID TIP.. Wild Animals use to Run from you but not anymore especially if they are Injured or Hungry or Scared. Dry leaves and branches can be mulched and put back into the Soil DONT BURN unless its very important and you have a Garden hose handy because our New Mexico Winds can come from any direction at any time and one out of Control burn can burn a thousands of acres and destroy homes in no time. p.s. in the next few days the winds will get to 60 and 70 mph i think N.M. has had winds of 130 mph and i would think that 200 mph winds are possible. el pintada kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
The danger here is extremely high now and it's a scary thought.
The only thing we can do is keep our pine needles raked. Unfortunatly, we have land on both sides of us where the people let the grass grow and it's all dry now.
Another tip for you is to have one of those plastic boxes handy to put in a couple changes of clothes, toiletries and a computer disc or pictures of important documents. Keep it in another place, maybe at a relatives house out of town or by one of the doors. That way if a fire comes, grab the box and go. Apparently in Timberon, evacuating happens and that's the way to go I've been told.
Someone last year posted something in here about fire and fire prevention but I haven't been able to find it.
Gotta do another rain dance soon if it continues to be this way.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
The next couple months are going to be critical IMHO. Moisture wise and snowpack wise things are OK in my state, but the foothills along Colorado's front range are gonna be in trouble real soon. Just last month 80 m.p.h. winds south of Boulder downed power lines, caused a fire, and burned close to 30 homes in an hours time.

I was in Los Alamos a couple weeks after the fires ravaged that area several years ago, it was pretty depressing.

Good comments by Song In The Wind7 and Pintada Kid. All the Rocky Mountain states need moisture.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Default Educating People on Fires

People need to get Educated on Fires and how easy they can start especially in New Mexico on a Still Day you think theres no way the wind is gonna Blow and all of a Sudden it comes from out of nowhere from any direction. I learned this around Cliffs in the Mountains of New Mexico on a Still day the winds can come from behind you and push you off. >>>> KID TIP... Ruidoso and the East Mountains and Santa Fe and Northern N.M. are very Susceptable to Fires although Northern N.M.has gotten some Moisture the Southern Half of New Mexico Forests havent had much Moisture. >>>> Remember only you can prevent Forest Fires and the Wild Animals will be Hungry SO if you go Hiking DONT GO Alone ... Go with somebody you can outrun. el pintada kid

Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
... the Wild Animals will be Hungry SO if you go Hiking DONT GO Alone ... Go with somebody you can outrun. el pintada kid
LOL

Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,043 times
Mtn Cat posted some valuable information last year. He came up and had lumch with us and told us what we could do to help keep our property safe. We have a lot of raking to do, a good 30-40 feet from the house.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 PM

215 posts, read 652,230 times
When I go walking I always wonder what I would do if there was a large animal upon me, I know that I would have to surrender my dogs, which I would hate to do, but that's just the way it would be. The little one would just be a tidbit, then the big one would take a bit longer....ooooohhh what a horrid thought.. That would give me time to get my wits about me I hope. As far as the fires go, it's going to be quite a year I think. From what i've been told, last year was very busy around Whittington, keeping the firefighters fed, housed, etc. I was surprised when the fire watch was already posted in this area.....scary..
I ditto on Double H's kudos to Song and PK. Guess we just have to stay sharp and ready.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
I've been in Timberon for 8 months and have not seen any mountain lions, bears or rattlesnakes.
Am I not eating enough cheeseburgers??

Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful transplant View Post
When I go walking I always wonder what I would do if there was a large animal upon me, I know that I would have to surrender my dogs, which I would hate to do, but that's just the way it would be. The little one would just be a tidbit, then the big one would take a bit longer....ooooohhh what a horrid thought.. That would give me time to get my wits about me I hope.
I wouldn't worry too much. I've seen dozens of bears in the wild and all they want to do is run away. The ones in town might be more dangerous, though. Here is a good sized black bear that was treed by my 25 lb mutt a few years ago. She had lots of fun chasing after the bears.
Attached Thumbnails
Pintada Kid Warning On Fires-beartr.jpg  

Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 PM

Default Bear Pic

That Bear is half the Size of the one that Almost got me in Corona N.M. a couple of years ago. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico