Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM

775 posts, read 2,581,277 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that Tip on Corals Cathy hope you girls have a fun time at your gathering this weekend. el pintada kid

Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,799,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Thanks for that Tip on Corals Cathy hope you girls have a fun time at your gathering this weekend. el pintada kid
Thanks, PK.....it's always fun to meet the newcomers to the area, as I myself once was.

Jane (Chilegal) was a great help when I arrived.....and so much fun to meet, as was Song....so anything I can do to help another, so much the better!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 AM

Default Cathy and The Girls

It looks like the center of New Mexico is going to get in the 60s or warmer on Sunday i can imagine what kind of Warm weather Alamogordo is going to have probably in the 80s. And Cloudcroft will probably be in the 60s. p.s. remember Girls if you get in Trouble and your in the center of N.M. ask for the Pintada Kid. And dont go hiking Alone Take A Friend. el pintada kid

Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,799,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
It looks like the center of New Mexico is going to get in the 60s or warmer on Sunday i can imagine what kind of Warm weather Alamogordo is going to have probably in the 80s. And Cloudcroft will probably be in the 60s. p.s. remember Girls if you get in Trouble and your in the center of N.M. ask for the Pintada Kid. And dont go hiking Alone Take A Friend. el pintada kid
Nope, not quite that warm, PK, according to the forecast for this next week:

Sunday 68° F | 43° F
Monday 72° F | 47° F
Tuesday 76° F | 47° F
Wednesday 72° F | 43° F
Thursday 68° F| 36° F

Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,325,915 times
Have any of you experience snakes in the Chama area? While walking through the woods lasts October, I did see a dead rattler on the walking trail in one of the Reserves we were walking.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM

390 posts, read 949,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
People, stay away from Pintada Kid's threads on snakes. He is fairly reliable on some other posts, but when it comes to venomous creatures, pay no mind.

Ill be the first to tell you that you can wear all the bells and whistles you want, but it wont do a dang thing to keep the snakes away because THEY DONT HAVE EARS! The BEST thing you can do while hiking in rattlesnake country (ie ALL of NM) is to wear thick leather boots that will be hard to bite through, snake chaps or gaitors, and dont step on or over rocks w/o looking first. Keep your hands and feet where you can see them and just think smart. Snakes are NOT evil nor out to get you. Learn about them first before you all judge them.
Disagree with you Steve. From experience, they have some type of hearing. You can stand quietly on the porch at night and then call out and have heard them rattle in response. No one said they were evil, but when you live 3 hours from the nearest treatment center you best be careful. Then if you happen to be out in a pasture good luck making it out of the dead cell area. Use your brains!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:27 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,325,915 times
My husband has been wondering about that, for us to get to a treatment center could take a good hour or so. I do realize that they are (rattlers) not aggressive but if you acccidently step on one what are the odds of living through a bite when you have to climb off a large hill, get to the house, find your keys and drive 45 minutes to the local hospital. Do people actually die from rattlers?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,158,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
Disagree with you Steve. From experience, they have some type of hearing. You can stand quietly on the porch at night and then call out and have heard them rattle in response. No one said they were evil, but when you live 3 hours from the nearest treatment center you best be careful. Then if you happen to be out in a pasture good luck making it out of the dead cell area. Use your brains!
Well, call the Guinness Book of World Records because youve found the first snake in the world that has eardrums!

The fact that they rattled is a pure coincidence if anything. Snakes DO NOT HEAR, but they can pick up vibrations through their jaws if their heads are resting on the ground. Even then they wont rattle at anything unless they perceive it as a threat.

Dont tell me to "use my brains", Im one of the few on this thread that is thinking logically. You just basically told me (and believe) that snakes rattle back when spoken to.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,158,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
My husband has been wondering about that, for us to get to a treatment center could take a good hour or so. I do realize that they are (rattlers) not aggressive but if you acccidently step on one what are the odds of living through a bite when you have to climb off a large hill, get to the house, find your keys and drive 45 minutes to the local hospital. Do people actually die from rattlers?
Yes, people do die from rattler bites, but compared to the number of people who are bit (8,000+ a year), the fatality rate came out to something like 1/2 of 1%.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Rattlesnake Bite Tip

A Old Friend of mine told me his son got bit by a Rattler years ago and that his sons Body got swollen and twice as big but he didnt die. His son later on was elected State Senator in Albuquerque. Some people especially the ones that have gotten bit a number of times can get bit and all they do is Throw Up and they are better again. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico