Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:48 PM

65 posts, read 35,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful transplant View Post
Joghurta....I guess that you are just a marvelous creature yourself. You seem so high above all others, able to live exactly where you want, so self controlled that you never get startled by anything just cool. You are not concerned about being so far from a decent hospital or trauma center. You must still be a young buck (or doe) - still feel that you are invincible
" I can't for the liveof me stand people who claim they want to 'live in nature' and then their first action is to kill of anything wild & dangerous. (not directed against you) "
Well, I guess that's directed at me. Most of us are not as fortunate as you and live where the job takes them, whether it be 'in nature' or in urban sprawl. I did not kill the snake but most certainly would have had I been in that same situation. Been there, done that.

"If you go out and pull a Mountain Redneck by his ears, tease him and try to set his boots on fire, he pushing his shotgun up your rectum would then be the least of your problems.
I find you incredibly rude, offensive and obnoxious. I could go on and on. There are alot more people on this forum that would agree with me than disagree.

Caydriver is far more real than you ever will be.

I'm sure this thread will be closed due to your hostility. There is a difference between speaking your opinion and offending people.
If that is your attitude Mr. "Transplant", to accuse anyone who loves the WILD in "Wild Nature", to be >rude and offensive< and to demand for him to be silenced, then I can only advise you to stay out of the NM woods - for your own safety.

Because those woods are filled to the brim with people not afraid to speak their mind and who like the rugged outdoors exactly the way they are. And they don't take to kindly to name calling.

You can call me names in here, because you can feel safe & anonymous doing it.
But beware to use your kind of language when you meet a pecker wood redneck in person and he tells you what he thinks of your big city ways.

There is a reason why folks (like me) move into the desert, because we're tired of touchy, feely guys like you getting terribly upset simply because someone refuses to play by your PC rules.

Guess what, if you don't know the difference between someone offending people and someone simply disagreeing with you, then don't start an argument with someone you know strongly disagrees with you.

In essence, don't start an argument with anyone out in the NM woods.
The folks who live out there might not be as forgiving as I am if you start calling them names.

PS: If you always "guess" that anything anyone says as a generality is directed against you, then you truly are to sensitive for the outdoors.
And as an exception, this one was directed against you, while my other statement had nothing to with you - lest you're Steve Irwing resurrected from the dead (as you would have known if you had read my darn post).

And if you'd bothered to read to read my profile you'd knew that I ain't no "young buck" no more. I guess I'm just not as scared of death as you r - because I know that neither of us is gonna live forever anyway.

Last edited by Joghurta; 05-16-2009 at 10:58 PM..

Old 05-16-2009, 11:38 PM

65 posts, read 35,866 times
And I still insist that snakes in the bunnies are far less dangerous than most people you meet on the street.
If that opinion offends certain folks, then so be it.
I for one love snakes (and thus don't like to see them killed needlessly) and stick to that.

With that I leave this thread to all the "eeek a snake" people.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,952,986 times
understandable most people dont love snakes as you do. do you expect everyone to feel as you do? as far as pple you meet on the street, that would depend on many factors wouldnt it. perhaps if you frequent areas known for gang activity in the early hours of the morning, you might be right. a rattler sitting on a porch isnt wagging its tail and saying pick me up, cuddle me, im lost. anything that has the capacity to injure as some snakes do, have a right to get an eek reaction in my book.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:22 AM

215 posts, read 650,313 times
Well said Todd00.... from the little old lady in Raton who doesn't like snakes...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:43 PM

21 posts, read 66,649 times
For the folks who don't want snakes ,any snakes around thier place here's the deal .
First clean any 'piles' of stuff away from your buildings ,that takes care of the rodents place of residence , then purchase a couple ,depending on the size of area you want to be snake free, purchase a silent electronic pest away devise. I don't know the 'brand names but just about any farm and ranch supply store carries at least a couple of different models. these handy dandy little devises keep the rodents , snakes . These devices use a everyday ordinary household electric outlet . my grand mother had one in our basement , one in the barn and another in the car garage . it seems the snakes don't appreciate a home where there's no food . We ran into our fair share of snakes while out and about on the ranch but in all my growing up years there were only 2 rattlers killed close to the home place. You can google these devices for research purposes . .

Old 05-20-2009, 04:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,526,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyw60 -kid View Post
purchase a silent electronic pest away devise. I don't know the 'brand names but just about any farm and ranch supply store carries at least a couple of different models. these handy dandy little devises keep the rodents , snakes . These devices use a everyday ordinary household electric outlet .
1. I don't trust them.

2. I have never seen any valid scientific test results other than they do not repell the female (biting) mosquitoes.

3. Some of the unit's just emit a lot of ultrasonic energy which may make your dogs go wild. They make make you wilder than you are. Wilder, not in a good way wild....

4. Why don't ultasonic IDS (Intrusion Detection Systems aka Alarms) used in department stores etc make rodents go away?

Etc, etc, etc.

Clean up the area, learn to watch for snakes...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-14-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 12:55 AM
tsi

5 posts, read 10,028 times
If snakes are a problem, get a pet pig. Once a hog reaches about 100# it's immune to the poisons. They tame easier than dog, are cleaner, and do not smell if taken care of. 'Side, the feed is sure cheaper, and in a pinch (like a national depression), they look better on the dinner table.

When I was a little kid, Dad cleared brush from the mountain pasture and had so many rattlers he about sweated twenty pounds. He gave up and in winter, fenced it and bought goats. In the spring, he sold the goats and got feeder pigs, and they took out the snakes.

Best defence is prevention, always. No brush near the house, no feeding places (you should have seen them the day we got 500 chicks in for broilers and friers, the horses went nuts and never ever step outside at night without lots of light. Light frightens them because of attracting owls.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:04 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,810,962 times
and hear we complain about the love bugs.. guess we have got it pretty good.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:52 PM

156 posts, read 133,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Since weve had the Warmest winter in over 100 years here in New Mexico we should expect rattlesnakes to be out by now. The Rattlesnake Roundups will probably start early in Alamogordo i always wanted to go to one. KID TIP ... Always use a Walking Stick while out hiking for protection and for avoiding getting bit by a Rattlesnake. In the summer dont walk close to bushes or rocks without inspecting them first and avoid places with lots of holes that could possibly cave in on you and always be looking down at the Ground. Even if a Snake looks harmless DONT try to pick it up. When it is raining dont expect a Rattlesnake to Rattle. el pintada kid
It's about time, what would new mexico be without a few creepy crawlers.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:42 AM
tsi

5 posts, read 10,028 times
It's been so cold up here in the swamps of Penna, I haven't seen so much as a garter snake. Where I work, someone broke the lock off of the security box. Outsiders, bah. Even with the cold weather, no one in their right mind would walk thru the woods. Too many skunks And yes, we feed them to keep them near. At least one time they drove off someone trying to break in. Of course, we had to avoid that part of the junkyard for a while...a long, long while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico