Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM

288 posts, read 720,900 times

Advertisements

One last thing regarding tech is that some departments like to make your education much more difficult than it would be at other schools. Generally tech concentrates on theory, and your usually doing your homework nonstop. While that is expected, what I don't like is their sink or swim mentality when you first arrive. Since all majors are required to take a year of calculus, chemistry and physics, many people have trouble getting through it. While at first glance you'd wonder why, the reason is that alot of the bad teachers teach those courses, give out way too much homework, and usually give you the theoretical problems like proofs instead of practical applications. The ones that end up getting A's--usually one or two people depending on the curve--are the ones who either have taken it already or are extremely intelligent and have no use for attending lectures. If you can get through that portion of tech, it gets easier afterwards despite the higher level courses from my experience. Not trying to scare anybody off, just saying it the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,145,100 times
While I have had similar experiences to the weed-out situations described above, I might point out that similar sorts of phenomena can be found at any accredited university in the U.S.

Some teaching assistants, rather than professors, will teach entry-level courses. Like professors, some make outstanding instructors, and some really do not. At NMT, the percentage of entry-level classes taught by TA's is significantly lower than at any other school I've heard of or attended. I was fortunate enough to never have a terrible TA, and I had some very good ones.

NMT also boasts the state's highest 5-year graduation rate (29%). Based on the above, I'd say the problem occurs less there than anywhere else.

Since Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics departments have to pull double duty as full research departments and service departments to the other disciplines, it is difficult to strike a balance for their introductory classes. It's a bit like trying to learn addition and subtraction from Albert Einstein. Though the man was brilliant in his way, it's easy to see how frustrating the experience would be.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,561,453 times
Reading, Writing, 'rithmatic - along with chemistry and physics are the "weed out" courses in any science or engineering curriculm. This can be justified by the fact that you need a basic understanding of the latter and skill in the former to be an engineer or scientist.

(touch typing is also a really good idea - as you can see I'm not very good at it.)

Old 04-26-2007, 01:30 PM

385 posts, read 1,551,647 times
check out Magdalena which is about 18 miles west of Socorro along Hwy. 60. Beautiful country and you are close enough to Socorro for the markets, hospital, golf, university etc. Magdalena is growing as are its prices but now is the time to explore.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 PM

Old guy rant on/

So go to NMT and learn a few more. Just pay more attention to study than parties. I also suggest you don't get a TV. Back in the neolithic, when I was a college student, I found the TV was really cutting into my study time so I got rid of it.

BTW - College studies are hard work but the results will benefit you and the rest of the world for the rest of your life.

Old guy rant/ off

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:00 AM

35 posts, read 103,610 times
Just found this thread - we too are thinking about moving to Socorro; i'm an commercial artist my wife works in a bank now, but wants to do something different when we move.

I've been in higher ed. for 25 years, and have found that in small university towns there is often friction between the town and school, different reasons for different places, but there it is.

Pick a school based on what connections you want to make - networking. Those folk you graduate with will be your future support system, this is very important and few students are clued into this concept. If your doing an advanced degree, then this becomes even more important plus add in those prof's on your board - who already have a wide network.
Good luck!

Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,097,449 times
What kinds of health care is available in Socorro? Good quality? Any hospitals?

Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 PM

153 posts, read 757,357 times
We have Presbyterian Hospital in Socorro:

http://www.phs.org/facilities/socorro/index.shtml

Also, another 3 offices/clinics with multiple doctors at each. (Our mayor is also one of the main family doctors in town! Also, have a community clinic, a clinic available to Tech students/faculty, and 5 dentists. I have never had to travel outside of Socorro for any health-care.

I have never been to the hospital so not sure about the services/quality there. It is pretty decent sized but I know they send patients to Abq. for major stuff. The family doctors have been excellent here and we have had several new ones move into town in the last year or so. They are begging for nurses in this town so it can be busy from time to time at some of the popular doctor offices and sometimes hard to get in.

Last edited by InTheDesert; 05-04-2007 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-05-2007, 11:36 AM

35 posts, read 103,610 times
There is a hospital there, try this site for statewide listings: theagapecenter.com/Hospitals/New-Mexico.htm

Old 05-08-2007, 06:14 AM

Socorro is looking better & better. Looks like a September vacation and real estate hunt is likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico