Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:59 PM

464 posts, read 1,154,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
I don't know how much money or land is involved because that is a very personal question. But I can tell you, that there are many wonderful Hispanic families here in Lincoln County that are very prominent in our communities. P-Kid, where can you find the book you recommend. NMSU bookstore? I would strongly suggest that you educate yourself before visiting New Mexico.

Hi Cay, I tried to find the book and nada around here. So I check for a publisher, thinkin' I could just order it. Well that's pretty much a dead end too. It was Greenwood Press. I just called them to see if they had any in stock. Got transferred to another company who just bought Greenwood last month, ABC-Cleo.com I think she called it. phone# 1-800-368-6868.
The book ISBN# is 0-313-26631-X. It said the author's bio was that he was a California immigration attorney, he died in the 80's

The lady checked and said, (1st edition printed in 1948 very old) it had a second edition but that, it had not been published since March 1990- 19 years ago. She said in a few weeks I could call back and see if once they are finished with the 'move', if I could order a POD (print on demand) but was fairly unlikely. The cost for the 'paperbacked' version was 33.95 plus what ever S&H applied.
She said to check with Amazon for old copies from others.

I can recommend the book I got at Christmastime which is excellent, as I'm always looking for history books about New Mexico. Published last year by Professor John L. Kessell, Professor Emeritis of History at the University of New Mexico. Tecpatl (here) recommended it It fantastic and beautiful. Professor Kessell has done a tremendous amount of intense research for many years, about New Mexico and has a string of outstanding books on the topic. His books have been award winning.
Some are no longer in print, a few are. And this is his newest- 2008. "Pueblos, Spaniards, and the Kingdom of New Mexico".
It not only insteresting and full of information of the time period, it keeps you reading- not a dry read.
Barnes and Noble is doing a 'hunt' for me on some of his older works.
(he has 6 volumes of heavily researched by a team of historians of the "Letters to Home by Diego de Vargas"! going to cost a pretty penny if they find them for me).

This newest book covers the time frame of about 1598 to 1760.

He's got one that covers 1540-1840 "Kiva, Cross, and Crown: The Pecos Indians and New Mexico" I'd love to get.

You might have copies of the other one there in NM to check out at the libraries. I thought I'd mention these and since the most recent is printed just last year. I think ya'll would enjoy these book very much.
And the stores there might have more copies than anywhere else in the country

If you get it or checked it out, let me know how you like it!

Tia Dalma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,936,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
...........basically i want to know anything at all about how being hispanic is differant in new mexico from any other state
New Mexico was a combination of Native American and Spanish. As you can well imagine, very few European women accompanied the conquistadors in their move north. On the other hand, Pueblo women can be very attractive......it didn't take long for the intermarriage of Spanish and NA to occur. From the 1500's through today, the descendants of those people have inhabited the Rio Grande Valley. The Llano and the southern parts of the Pecos Valley were Comanche/Apache areas and were pretty much settled by Anglos once those nations were contained. After the Taos Rebellion and the crushing of the Navajo the typical resident could have been Hispanic, Anglo, Indian or a mix of all three. There were even a few buffalo soldiers that settled there. You are as apt to have a wealthy businessman in a community to be Hispanic as Anglo. As in any area of the USA, you will have a large number of poor, a larger number of middle class and a few wealthy. In New Mexico the last name of any one of them is as likely to be Baca or Gonzales as it is to be Smith or Jones.

In the last couple of decades you have had a large number of Mexicans, Colombians, Guatemalans, Salvadorians, etc move in. Many came for the opportunity that America presents.....a chance to better themselves and their families and they are valued contributors to society. You also have a number of the criminal element whose sole purpose is to deal drugs, white slavery, extortion etc. Much of this activity originates in the Juarez crime families and poses the real problem with our immigration policies.

I think you will find that anyone who works hard, is self supporting, and contributes to society is respected and appreciated. Those that aren't aren't. By anyone......original Native Americans, old family Hispanic, new family Anglo, or new family Hispanic.

Should you move to NM, remember to not classify people the way you do back east. You know pretty quickly, just from surnames, if a person is Irish or Polish or Serb or Croat or Italian......frequently you can make assumptions based on knowing their surnames.......not so in NM. A guy named Richardson might be Hispanic, black, NA or Anglo. The blond woman who sunburns easily can be Hispanic as easily as Germanic.

If anything, New Mexico is closer to fulfilling MLK's dream that a man is judged, not by the color of his skin, but by his character.

This is why your original question was considered offensive.......you are asking people not about a "group identity" but about our friends, neighbors, brothers in law, spouses, and cousins. You are asking us to make a discerning statement about those we love as brothers. It's like asking us if our mom is a **** like the moms in the news back east or are they normal people..........and you need to remember that the heritage of Hispanics goes back to the Spanish speaking companies of Union soldiers that kept the Confederacy from conquering the west and continues through the NMNG that made the Bataan Death March.....and these are our sons and daughters-in-law, our next door neighbors, the businessman we have breakfast with, the politician we elect, and the people we share our sanctuary with when we worship.........

Last edited by Goodpasture; 02-23-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 01:19 PM

361 posts, read 1,090,047 times
Quote:
THANK YOU!!! at least someone understands what i meant in my post!!

to all the rest....you bleeding heart liberals who brand everyone who mentions that word "race" as a nazi and deny that there are any racial divisions in america or animousity between races are ridiculous. honestly, i am a huge democrat/left-winger, but everytime i meet or talk to another liberal, it seriously drives me that much closer to being a proud white Christian, no-nonsense, diversity-hating conservative....yep, im gonna be a republican just to spite whiney overly-sensitive liberals

WOW!!!! This came right out of left field!!! Totally unexpected - considering some of us were simply trying to "inform" you about a culture and a part of the U.S. about which you asked.

The more informed you are the better off you might be.

Last edited by casden; 02-23-2009 at 01:30 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM

Excellent post Goodpasture! I couldn't rep ya yet LOL

Tia Dalma

Old 02-23-2009, 01:21 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What happened to that requirement for knowing at least a little English for the citizenship test? Did that get thrown out?

The hispanics with long long roots in the USA know English. It's the new arrivals that don't.
hey, you will never get me to disagree with you on that one? No one is more vocal about this than I am, and no one feels stronger about people becoming citizens after a certain number of years in our country, my point was more pointing out that just because someone doesn't speak English does not mean they are illigals. They may have just arrived, have visa or could be elderly relatives of families that are here legally.

Oh course those who have been here since the 1600 speak English.

I am sorry you misunderstood what I was saying. I guess I didn't make it clear, I just think when someone comes on these threads, rips an entire group apart, knows very little of what he is talking about and shows his prejudice I have a right to get a little pissed...

and to the OP, bleeding heart liberal is the last thing I am..can you say or understand, right of the center?

Nita

Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU!!! at least someone understands what i meant in my post!!

to all the rest....you bleeding heart liberals who brand everyone who mentions that word "race" as a nazi and deny that there are any racial divisions in america or animousity between races are ridiculous. honestly, i am a huge democrat/left-winger, but everytime i meet or talk to another liberal, it seriously drives me that much closer to being a proud white Christian, no-nonsense, diversity-hating conservative....yep, im gonna be a republican just to spite whiney overly-sensitive liberals
WHOA! Yikes!

Ummmm, I'm an Independent I think for myself

Tia Dalma

Last edited by TiaDalma; 02-23-2009 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 02:39 PM

775 posts, read 2,582,530 times
Default Goodpastures Letter

You wrote a good letter Goodpasture i tried to rep you also but they are being stingy with the Reps i just wonder how these people that have over 1000 reps did it they must have been here for about 10 years to get that many reps? el pintada kid

Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,005,085 times
Amazon.com has North from Mexico by Carey McWilliams, including 32 used copies.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
You wrote a good letter Goodpasture i tried to rep you also but they are being stingy with the Reps i just wonder how these people that have over 1000 reps did it they must have been here for about 10 years to get that many reps? el pintada kid

Naw PK, I think City-Data has only been around for 3 years tops LOL
What you have to do is get out into the other Forums. Read other posts (you don't have to post in them, just read if you want), and then Rep soeone's post there that you like.
Staying in the NM Forum only makes it harder to give Rep's because is a much smaller Forum than most of the others (many less posters). Besides the point NM has only 3-4 Million people/citizens itself LOL Many bigger city have that many living in them themselves (yuck)

Get out there and read and hand out some reps to poster's posts in the other many Forums, and you'll have more to give to NM Forum posters too

I'm just not around enough right now Spending time in the country at the Barn/Farm, limits my time right now. We've got shows coming up in just a few weeks
(besides we've had every other day or so with some warmer than normal weather this winter (Feburary at least- WEIRD!)

Go to like the Food Forum hit some reps to some posters recipes there that sound Good LOL I like the History Forum, Pets, get it? Spread the reps!
You'll never have many just staying in NM

Hope that helps,

Tia Dalma

Old 02-23-2009, 03:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,815,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
Naw PK, I think City-Data has only been around for 3 years tops LOL
What you have to do is get out into the other Forums. Read other posts (you don't have to post in them, just read if you want), and then Rep soeone's post there that you like.
Staying in the NM Forum only makes it harder to give Rep's because is a much smaller Forum than most of the others (many less posters). Besides the point NM has only 3-4 Million people/citizens itself LOL Many bigger city have that many living in them themselves (yuck)

Get out there and read and hand out some reps to poster's posts in the other many Forums, and you'll have more to give to NM Forum posters too

I'm just not around enough right now Spending time in the country at the Barn/Farm, limits my time right now. We've got shows coming up in just a few weeks
(besides we've had every other day or so with some warmer than normal weather this winter (Feburary at least- WEIRD!)

Go to like the Food Forum hit some reps to some posters recipes there that sound Good LOL I like the History Forum, Pets, get it? Spread the reps!
You'll never have many just staying in NM

Hope that helps,

Tia Dalma
Thanks for the tip, Tia.....I didn't know that, but that explains never being able to give that many rep points.

BTW....would you believe that New Mexico has barely TWO million people??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico