Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 PM

464 posts, read 1,154,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Thanks for the tip, Tia.....I didn't know that, but that explains never being able to give that many rep points.

BTW....would you believe that New Mexico has barely TWO million people??

Cathy, you're welcome I'm still learning the ropes around here too myself Once I started to read other Forums too then I could hand out more Reps?! LOL
I'd only recently understood about the other Forums myself too! (more posters!) I started only Here! Reading only NM because that's what I looked for one day Never crossed my mind there were things like the History etc

And you are right, it's almost "scary" that NM has so little population! Boing! And 5th largest state in size. But I love that about NM too. I'm a country girl Even when living in Illinois (lots of people), it was the country I enjoyed when living there. Now here in the heartland near mid Missouri, the nearest Big city has Alot of people. Hate going in to "the cities" blech. Visits for some fun are "ok" but.....ugh, the traffic, parking etc. And I have no problems driving in LA or Chicago, just dont WANT to, LOL
I'll always love Chicago best, I guess once I "get there" I'm ok
Heck I've been to Tokyo for days, I'd rather be There than in alot of big US cities, LOL (and boy, you wanna talk about BOOKSTORES! Tokyo has Monsters for them! Love them, yes they have Many books in English )

I never feel like places in NM are "that" far away-apart. Maybe it's the gorgeous scenery along the way? Plains or Mountain or desert

Do you think you'll stay in Alamo Cathy? Or go up the Mountain range? Just wondered after this winter there now too.

Tia Dalma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,297,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
THANK YOU!!! at least someone understands what i meant in my post!!

to all the rest....you bleeding heart liberals who brand everyone who mentions that word "race" as a nazi and deny that there are any racial divisions in america or animousity between races are ridiculous. honestly, i am a huge democrat/left-winger, but everytime i meet or talk to another liberal, it seriously drives me that much closer to being a proud white Christian, no-nonsense, diversity-hating conservative....yep, im gonna be a republican just to spite whiney overly-sensitive liberals
Is it necessary to tell everyone what you are? This has nothing to do with NM.
Maybe you thought you were in the Politics forum when you posted this.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,815,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
Cathy, you're welcome I'm still learning the ropes around here too myself Once I started to read other Forums too then I could hand out more Reps?! LOL
I'd only recently understood about the other Forums myself too! (more posters!) I started only Here! Reading only NM because that's what I looked for one day Never crossed my mind there were things like the History etc

And you are right, it's almost "scary" that NM has so little population! Boing! And 5th largest state in size. But I love that about NM too. I'm a country girl Even when living in Illinois (lots of people), it was the country I enjoyed when living there. Now here in the heartland near mid Missouri, the nearest Big city has Alot of people. Hate going in to "the cities" blech. Visits for some fun are "ok" but.....ugh, the traffic, parking etc. And I have no problems driving in LA or Chicago, just dont WANT to, LOL
I'll always love Chicago best, I guess once I "get there" I'm ok
Heck I've been to Tokyo for days, I'd rather be There than in alot of big US cities, LOL (and boy, you wanna talk about BOOKSTORES! Tokyo has Monsters for them! Love them, yes they have Many books in English )

I never feel like places in NM are "that" far away-apart. Maybe it's the gorgeous scenery along the way? Plains or Mountain or desert

Do you think you'll stay in Alamo Cathy? Or go up the Mountain range? Just wondered after this winter there now too.

Tia Dalma
Chicago is a neat city, yes, but I would not want to live there because of the HUMID cold. When it's cold in the Midwest, it's COLD. There is no cold like Midwest cold! Chicago and northern IN just about did me in, LOL!!

That explains why there are so many Midwesterners here in Alamo. The weather in the winter is gorgeous, and very temperate! So I can see why those from OH, MO, MI, MN...etc. come here in droves.

For now, I'm just going to have to bide my time. I am really disappointed that it is so hot here. The first year I tracked temperatures here, it was a colder than normal winter.....and there was boatloads of snow at both Ski Apache and Cloudcroft!

But I'm finding out that isn't the norm. I am afraid these past two winters are more normal for the area than not. As beautiful as the Tularosa Basin is...and as great a little town as Alamo is, I probably will not stay for good as I had originally planned. It's just too warm here, and not what I bargained for.

The weather is dang near perfect in the winter. What's not to like? There are gorgeous blue skies, mildly cold nights and usually cold, crisp mornings.

But this temperate winter probably means a miserable hot summer is well on the way, and I dread it. It helps when I go outside and see the beautiful mountains....there are few towns in NM where the mountains are in your face as they are here, and that is the crowning glory of the Tularosa Basin.

There will be no skiing this winter or spring here.

I have 4 relo packets on the kitchen table.

Are you planning on moving to NM?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,005,085 times
Sorry for being off topic here --

But HERE is a discussion and some information about rep points.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 PM

775 posts, read 2,582,530 times
Default 'Great Tip Tia

Thanks for the Tip Tia, i will have to give you a rep point if im allowed. Now i just have to worry about everyone passing my Az. el pintada kid

Old 02-23-2009, 05:48 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,763,234 times
Lived in New Mexico for a year, miss New Mexico dearly, learned a lot about the folks there. Some back in Ohio, unless they spent time in New Mexico, spoke really pinheaded about "whats there?", which I will not go into detail here. They just had misguided blanket statements.

I did find that the Hispanics that lived in NM for 2 generations or more had a huge disdain for the influx of Latin Americans who did not want to assimilate, lowered the wage standards, and worried about the general view of their heritage held by people outside their creed, placing guilt by association.

Last edited by newmex; 02-23-2009 at 05:58 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM

390 posts, read 949,635 times
Well said Goodpasture.. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 PM

464 posts, read 1,154,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Chicago is a neat city, yes, but I would not want to live there because of the HUMID cold. When it's cold in the Midwest, it's COLD. There is no cold like Midwest cold! Chicago and northern IN just about did me in, LOL!!

That explains why there are so many Midwesterners here in Alamo. The weather in the winter is gorgeous, and very temperate! So I can see why those from OH, MO, MI, MN...etc. come here in droves.

For now, I'm just going to have to bide my time. I am really disappointed that it is so hot here. The first year I tracked temperatures here, it was a colder than normal winter.....and there was boatloads of snow at both Ski Apache and Cloudcroft!

But I'm finding out that isn't the norm. I am afraid these past two winters are more normal for the area than not. As beautiful as the Tularosa Basin is...and as great a little town as Alamo is, I probably will not stay for good as I had originally planned. It's just too warm here, and not what I bargained for.

The weather is dang near perfect in the winter. What's not to like? There are gorgeous blue skies, mildly cold nights and usually cold, crisp mornings.

But this temperate winter probably means a miserable hot summer is well on the way, and I dread it. It helps when I go outside and see the beautiful mountains....there are few towns in NM where the mountains are in your face as they are here, and that is the crowning glory of the Tularosa Basin.

There will be no skiing this winter or spring here.

I have 4 relo packets on the kitchen table.

Are you planning on moving to NM?

I hear you on the Humid cold Cathy! Blech. And Chicago is a Great town for Fun Tho I'm considerable more south now, it's not South enough We aren't/haven't gotten any where near the inches of snow, as back "home", it's the same weather patterns hitting here first, Hate it (still!) Last year Doc's told me to more further South. Began a more detailed search. Picked out some properties to look at on a trip, found a couple I liked and Then, the my horse got deathly sick. ( it was touch and go at first and meds injections and pills every 12 hours- 30 days straight at first) Same time as the trip down to sort of "decide".
Put off the trip, but had a family member going down to EP for a while, so they checked the couple properties and I was ready to deal on one and POW, the markets sank. Talk about timing.
I won't budge until things settle quite a bit I think. (not happy bout that!). I'm looking (looked) in the Basin. I like (the Canyons) Dog, Laborcita, Nogal, LaLuz areas. Alamo, Tulie, Ruidoso. A place with a few stalls and a bit of land. Close to the riding areas etc.
Actually been plannin' to live there, All of my life
And so it's turned out this way, after- I was Told, to move there

I've Loved NM since I was a kid. I went and my Heart stayed I think, all these years LOL Had family live in NM for many many years and many trips there. Need the heat/warmth more of the year Don't mind the dry snows. The lack of humidity and high dew points is important. Very.

So we'll see how things go. I dont think it's wise with the uncertainties right now to try and buy and move. I like things a little more "dependable" I'll hang here a bit longer, but I won't/don't have to like it! :P LOL

I do wish, those mountains would come through with some Snow tho!

And think of it Cathy if you had moved to Farmington like you'd thought maybe, you'd be Sleepin' with your skis On LOLOL. BUT I don't know that you'd like that All the time, well, unless your name was Vinegaroon! LOL

Time will tell and pan out I hope for both of us and a few others too

Tia Dalma

Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,815,108 times
And think of it Cathy if you had moved to Farmington like you'd thought maybe, you'd be Sleepin' with your skis On LOLOL. BUT I don't know that you'd like that All the time, well, unless your name was Vinegaroon! LOL

Farmington cannot touch Alamo for sheer scenic beauty (Sacramentos, San Andres, Organs....Laborcita Canyon, et al......but you can see the San Juans in CO in the distance, and I have loved the Four Corners area for over 20 years. Farmington is considerably colder, and DOES have a real winter, along with fairly hot summers. The nearby ski areas, Durango Mountain Resort and Wolf Creek both have more snow than they know what to do with.

And yes, it is a waiting game, but that is OK. I will enjoy everything this area has to offer until the time comes...if it ever does. If next winter proves to be different, I may change my attitude. All it would take is a good ski season at either area. I would not resent the hot summers quite so much if we had real winters here.

Then it would be so perfect I couldn't stand it, LOL!!

I'm so glad your horse survived! They are such adorable sweeties. I grew up riding, and have loved many Quarterhorses in my lifetime, but do not want the responsibility of one here in NM.

Hang in there, girl. Things WILL get better, and they will pick up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico