Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,146 times

Advertisements

places like clovis and in the southeastern area done even need a min.wage increase, its so cheap to live there already,my parents paid 350 a month for a mortgage payment and you can still get a descent 3 bedroom house for 65,000, I wish that was available here in Albuquerque, I just got me a 1,000 a month mortgae payment,plus the prices are going up everywhere, such as Wal-Mart, so now I wont shop at Wal-Mart anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 02:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
When minimum wages are increased, the value of money will necessarily go down to reflect its greater abundance, so prices will go up. That hurts people on fixed incomes. If one looks back into history, he can see how money has lost its value as wages have risen. I'm sure this is an oversimplification, but it's true.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:08 PM

112 posts, read 427,912 times
Thumbs down Really Too Bad

Its really too bad that we cant globalize (which politely means slashing down to nothing) the wages for the excecs, ceo s, and those who benefited from NAFTA and the slave wages exploited, and the basic gutting of American Labor.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 AM

56 posts, read 161,342 times
Thumbs down Politicians too...

The "beauty" of this isn't just corporate execs, it's politicians too who don't want to feel left out of the pay raise cycle.
Recent examples, the legislature just gave themselves a $17,500 retirement raise (and guess who is going to pay for it - hint: not them!!!).
The Guv has hiked his salary $60,000 the last 4 years and Lt. Guv $40,000 plus a great increase in their expense accounts. (plus the $5.5 million dollar jet and $4 million dollar helicopter).
So please, don't begrudge the poor their small raise, even if your milk or bread goes up a bit. It's corporate execs and politicians you really should be complaining about - never in history have so many been paid so much for doing so little!!!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:35 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Im not begrudging anyone a pay rise. Their milk and bread will go up More than what theyr pay rise went up, thats the point i am trying to make! To make a small town like Clayton comparable to Albuquerque with the same min wage is a joke.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:38 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
When minimum wages are increased, the value of money will necessarily go down to reflect its greater abundance, so prices will go up. That hurts people on fixed incomes. If one looks back into history, he can see how money has lost its value as wages have risen. I'm sure this is an oversimplification, but it's true.
catman:

Excellent points. That is one of the best and simplest explanation of the danger of raising the minimum wage that I have ever seen.

I believe in letting the market decide what wages should be, not the government. Like Brian says, the wage a person needs to make in ABQ might (and is) completely different than one required in Clayton.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 AM

140 posts, read 475,133 times
For the sake of discussion take a peak at this link, it refers to taxes paid by the wealthy of 21o/o compared to the 1950's it was around 51percent- the middle class and lower need the same tax breaks now- or smell another Boston Tea party comin on.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/04/06/021548.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico