U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:49 PM

262 posts, read 586,851 times
Default Welcome to homophobic New Mexico

Just so's ya know, if you're a gay couple looking for a sane place to live, move along. Nothing to see here. Da legislature killed a bill today that would have allowed gay couples at least some of the same legal protections as straight couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 PM

298 posts, read 616,300 times
Well, the only places to go for any rights are California, Connecticut, Hawaii (sort of), Maine, Maryland (limited), Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, and D.C. That is a short and mostly very expensive list.

I think homophobic is a bit harsh. . .even my home state, notoriously liberal NY, has no registry, although they now say they will recognize all marriages performed in another jurisdiction. I would welcome it if NM stepped up, and believe me my wallet would appreciate the relief - I have to pay out of pocket for most of my partner's healthcare coverage, and then I have to pay taxes on the part my company covers - but we're doing better than states that have an outright ban, constitutional or otherwise. At least we have people who are bringing it up in the legislature every year.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 PM

2,599 posts, read 604,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Just so's ya know, if you're a gay couple looking for a sane place to live, move along. Nothing to see here. Da legislature killed a bill today that would have allowed gay couples at least some of the same legal protections as straight couples.
give a link to a news report please, so we can read about the story before commenting on your post. thanks.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,061,604 times
Link provided.

Domestic partnership bill fails - Las Cruces Sun-News

Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM

3,068 posts, read 5,173,048 times
Quote:
This bill for both gay and straight partnerships. Don't "move along", stay and fight.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,258,731 times
Well, I think it's a good point that common law marriage is not even recognized in NM. If gay marriages are recognized, and they are given legal rights akin to married couples, then heterosexual couples living together for several years as partners should also get the same rights.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:14 AM

Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
803 posts, read 2,405,600 times
Quote:
Hey... New Mexico sounds like a pretty good place. I like it when a state has the guts to stand up to a noisy little special interest group.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 AM

2,599 posts, read 604,624 times
Default Homophobic? NOT!

Quote:
First of all, it's my opinion that the OP titles this thread 'welcome to homophobic new mexico'
is a much less serious of subject than the title warrants.
the lawmakers by voting this down, have also in turn voted not to allow straight unmarried couples to join in a civil union of rights/privaledges under the law either, so, the voting down of this bill doesn't single out gay/lesbian couples as being the only people who would/could have benefitted from passage of the bill. straight couples who have entered into a civil relationship, are also the losers, and not primarily the gay/lesbian population, so to claim that voting the bill down means that new mexico is homophobic, is really not an accurate description, it simply means that a civil union is not legal in their eyes. it's not just a slam to gay/lesbian couples, it is a slam to straight couples who view civil arrangements differently than what the law states. a straight couple that's been together for say 15 years, but don't want to enter into a partnership by marriage is ok as far as I'm concerned, I am as liberal to also say if a gay/lesbian couple want a civil union, that is ok too, but, unfortunately, couples will have to bide their time before this comes before the state senate again, or, move to another state where civil unions are recognized. what stuck me about the article, was the number of democrats who voted against the civil union bill, it really shows new mexicans how conservative right the left wing really is. to say democrats, all democrats are bleeding heart liberals, was proved wrong, and that the democratic senators just did an oxy-moron about face.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM

731 posts, read 1,023,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Hey... New Mexico sounds like a pretty good place. I like it when a state has the guts to stand up to a noisy little special interest group.
Actually, the noise little special interest group was the religious fanatics that opposed the bill. Their protesting from the pulpit and bussing people from all over the state to SF did it. The majority of people in NM support the bill. But the squeaky wheel gets the oil. The legislators give lip service to their constituents and follow public pressure from the most vocal.

This bill had nothing to do with gay marriage. But the fanatics put that spin on it. I don't plan on getting married again, but would like some of the protections offered in a relationship. And I am straight. But the misinformation and lies spread by the religious right doomed the bill.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:11 PM

437 posts, read 588,221 times
The right for gays to marry was struck down in California back in November. As a native Californian, I was shocked! That reminded me that perhaps California residence are not as liberal as the rest of the US might think.

And to the original poster, "Da legislature" doesn't equal the people of New Mexico. Really, I don't care if you love or hate the place. I'm not fond of New Mexico myself so bash away at it if you must. I just think it's wrong for you to think striking down that bill means homophobia.

Some people are not homophobic, but they don't agree with gay couples having the same rights as straight couples. Some people don't care what rights gay couples have, and don't oppose gay marriages, as long as they don't have to see any gay couples with their own eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico