Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,310,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
FWIW, here in SW Florida, where widows are abundant, particulary in our dry season, I spray certain areas of my customers boats, (and my shop, house, etc.) with a product called "web away". Works wonderful. It is a non toxic blend of herbs, etc. that has an adverse effect on the ability of the spider's silk to adhere to a surface. If they cant build a web, they dont stick around(pardon the pun). It will also kill any spider that gets directly sprayed with it.
I also use a product called "Cedar Cide". Basically a non toxic blend of cedar oil. Not particularly effective against spiders, but keeps everything else(spider's food source) away. Again, the spiders go looking for better hunting grounds. I'm sure you can find info on both on the web. HTH.
I'm not afraid to use the toxic stuff(it's cheaper) where appropriate. In a house with children, the non toxic controls might be a better fit.
I didn't know that! thanks for the information.
there has to be a readily accessable chemical (other than spider sprays) like boric acid that spiders don't like, or are killed by a chemical, that these insects don't become immune to. maybe employing the use of a pet tarantula is the answer. I've noticed here in T or C, every once in awhile we'll find a tarantula in the club house here in our rv park, but, we see no other species of spiders. maybe the tarantula makes meals out of the other species. I also found out that the last thing a tarantula wants to do is bite a human. they're actually quite docile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
FWIW, here in SW Florida, where widows are abundant, particulary in our dry season, I spray certain areas of my customers boats, (and my shop, house, etc.) with a product called "web away". Works wonderful. It is a non toxic blend of herbs, etc. that has an adverse effect on the ability of the spider's silk to adhere to a surface. If they cant build a web, they dont stick around(pardon the pun). It will also kill any spider that gets directly sprayed with it.
I also use a product called "Cedar Cide". Basically a non toxic blend of cedar oil. Not particularly effective against spiders, but keeps everything else(spider's food source) away. Again, the spiders go looking for better hunting grounds. I'm sure you can find info on both on the web. HTH.
I'm not afraid to use the toxic stuff(it's cheaper) where appropriate. In a house with children, the non toxic controls might be a better fit.
Watch out for the Banana Spiders out there in Florida .

Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,024,830 times
I have a cat.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 PM

cats eat spiders? yuk!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:46 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,024,830 times
Haven't you ever been sitting peacefully in your living room when
the cat strolls in chomping on something extremely crunchy?

When you get up to inspect the tasty morsel it turns out to be
half-eaten cockroach(?)

One of the beauties of owning (being owned by) cats is that
later on, they will probably throw up that cockroach for you.

(Oh, and they'll throw it up on the carpet, not the tile.)

Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM

actually no. we used to watch our bootsie catch and bat a mouse around for awhile, then she'd give it the fatal neck bite, then deposit it into one of my wife's shoes, utterly disgusting cat. I'm glad she found a boyfriend and ran away from home!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Watch out for the Banana Spiders out there in Florida .
what's a bananna spider? is that one of those hairy tarantulas?

Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,500,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
what's a bananna spider? is that one of those hairy tarantulas?
No it's an outdoor yellowish spider in jacksonville and north florida as it loves to live in trees and abandoned vehicles or sheds etc.

http://www.shadygrovetrainingcenter.com/Wildlife/images/Fauna/DSC00513.JPG - Banana Spider of Florida

Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,504,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
No it's an outdoor yellowish spider in jacksonville and north florida as it loves to live in trees and abandoned vehicles or sheds etc.
That's the nicest specimen I have seen. We use to have them in South Florida also, Homestead...

Rich

Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 36,224 times
Thanks for all the info! I am not anti spider even though I am scared of them. I know they have a place in the environment but I am trying to prevent them from over running my house and I have seen quite a few since we moved in. With a toddler I am just trying to find out what I need to be worried about if anything. I am also trying to figure out when and if I need to do something and a way to do this. I have no problem with them living outside and I know they will live in my house if I don't want a ton of creepy crawlers but I also would like to not have to sleep in a mosquito net because I did nothing. I have seen at least 50 since I moved in so since I am a mother and new to the area thank you for all the info again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, all spiders are venomous (not poisonous) first off. Secondly, the only one you really need to worry about are the desert recluse (Loxoceles reclusa) and the black widow (Latrodectus hesperus). The rest are basically harmless and beneficial to have around. Google the latin names of the spiders I just gave you and youll be able to find TONS of info on them. Spiders are beneficial to have around, like em or not. Get rid of spiders and youll have tons of other pests around that are worse than spiders (ie cockroaches, etc).

I am sorry if I offend you I am not knowledgeable on spiders which is why I have asked for help in the first place. I am a worried mom in a new area of the world (Our last base was Germany) and I am trying to learn what I need to fast about my new area to protect my family. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico