Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,508,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
aha, a different phidippus. the coolest of the phidippus are the apacheanus, i've only seen two or three before:

Phidippus apacheanus - BugGuide.Net
Another cool photo as i see your our spider expert here. Thanks for the info Uggabugga !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
OH....ok...LOL!!!
I found this on youtube just for you Cathy as you can see the jumping spider crawling on the persons arm as they won't bite humans .

YouTube - Jumping spider attacks camera

Old 03-03-2009, 03:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,784,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I found this on youtube just for you Cathy as you can see the jumping spider crawling on the persons arm as they won't bite humans .

YouTube - Jumping spider attacks camera
That is a little guy.....smaller than the guy's finger is wide!

But I still wouldn't want any spider crawling on me, LOL!!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,115,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
cats eat spiders? yuk!
Heck, humans eat spiders. Theyre considered a delicacy (tarantulas) in parts of the world. And to really creep you out, its rumored that humans swallow spiders while we sleep. Not joking!!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
one of these guys, maybe? they're probably the most common.
i used to raise them and sell them on the internets back in the day: Phidippus audax - bold jumping spider or common jumping spider

5-6 inches is probably a more realistic jumping ability but that's still pretty good for a 1/3" or less spider

they're in a different family than the wolf spider, though; jumping spiders are in the family Salticidae, wolf spiders are in Lycosidae.

i've seen wolf spiders in oklahoma nearly as big as your hand. they have two larger facing-forward eyes that reflect red from your headlights on the road at night.
I love jumpers! Great pic! I have TONS of P. audax around my area (Chicagoland), as well as zebra jumpers. They are the doggone cutest little things you ever did see, with those BIG OL EYES. Ive seen wolf spiders with good 3-4" leg spans before, too. Not quite as big as an adult hand, but more like a child's hand. Anyways, we were out herpin on a dirt road about 15miles East of Scottsdale, AZ (lookin for rattlers), and saw THOUSANDS of little diamond-like eyes everywhere. I got out for a closer look and then noticed that they were all reflective wolf spider eyes. Amazing experience!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Do these spiders look anuthing like the spiders in the movie Arachniphobia?
Not really. The main spiders they used in Arachnophobia are huntsman spiders, from the Heteropoda genus. Theyre fast as lightning and get rather large. To a arachnophobe, huntsman spiders are the ultimate nightmare... lanky, big, loooong legs, run like greased lightning. I kept a Heteropoda venatoria (Florida huntsman) and that doggone thing would escape all the time. Id open the jar and BOOM! There it was, leaving smoke trails and fire behind it, ala Back To The Future DeLorean time machine. Id immediately give up the hunt, as it was useless chasing it everywhere. Of course the wife wasnt thrilled having to go to sleep in teh room with a 3" huntsman running wild around the room. Id find it a few days later and sneak up on it and capture it, then would repeat the process several more times.

Here is a huntsman spider on my FIL's house in Arizona. This one isnt very large, they get quite a bit bigger. Thats my ciggy pack next to it for size comparison.

Here is another one, in his yard:

Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 PM

52,221 posts, read 33,940,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Anyways, we were out herpin on a dirt road about 15miles East of Scottsdale, AZ (lookin for rattlers), and saw THOUSANDS of little diamond-like eyes everywhere. I got out for a closer look and then noticed that they were all reflective wolf spider eyes. Amazing experience!!!
that sounds familiar. i was pulling an all-nighter driving from my sister's wedding in farmington [NM] to stillwater, OK, and was going <wtf??> at all the tiny, glittering red things i was seeing in the grass alongside the road. i got out and looked around, but didn't see what it could possibly be.
it wasn't until a year or more later that i saw something similar and was lucky to have a powerful flashlight at hand to see that they were actually wolf spiders.

yeah, jumping spiders are the coolest. P. audax is everywhere, cold weather doesn't seem to bother them much. they were by far the most common spider i saw living in northern indiana, yet they're all over the place everywhere else i've lived as well.

say.. i wonder if we could trigger a 'kid fit' of apoplexy if we talk about how neat spiders are for the next few days?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
that sounds familiar. i was pulling an all-nighter driving from my sister's wedding in farmington [NM] to stillwater, OK, and was going <wtf??> at all the tiny, glittering red things i was seeing in the grass alongside the road. i got out and looked around, but didn't see what it could possibly be.
it wasn't until a year or more later that i saw something similar and was lucky to have a powerful flashlight at hand to see that they were actually wolf spiders.

yeah, jumping spiders are the coolest. P. audax is everywhere, cold weather doesn't seem to bother them much. they were by far the most common spider i saw living in northern indiana, yet they're all over the place everywhere else i've lived as well.

say.. i wonder if we could trigger a 'kid fit' of apoplexy if we talk about how neat spiders are for the next few days?
Spiders? Just my game. I love spiders, but sadly most people dont.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:

When i used to live in Fla i'd see them on the inside ledge of the living room window seal and on the inside and outside of the window constantly looking at each other and moving after those on the other side of the window as i used to get the biggest kick out of that .

Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And to really creep you out, its rumored that humans swallow spiders while we sleep. Not joking!!!!
Yeah i just reciently woke up with a tiny bump on my ankel which then turned into a quarter size red welt for about a week as it's now disappeared. There's even a scar of it as it looks like a minor burn welt although it never hurt or itched though. I've seen several tiny black house spiders (??) crawl on the carpet (very fast) since the wintertime as i assume that's probably what bit me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico