Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,446,951 times

Advertisements

Mama,

This attitude is certainly not a representation of the NM I know. Maybe this forum draws rudeness, I don't know.
If you have any other questions about the RR area/Albuquerque please feel free to Direct Message me.
And good luck with your relocation decision, I know it can be stressful at times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,355,558 times
I thought that she got some good answers from folks. I do not find posters in this thread to be rude. Try some of the other forums and you will find NM is the nicest one.

NM is a desert, one isn't going to find many water parks. Water is a valuable commodity out here and, even though water parks recycle their water, it will take alot of water to keep them running.

No one wants a cockroach infested building and I do not believe anyone on here would knowingly direct you to one.

Not knowing your budget, its hard for us to suggest exactly where you should look. We cannot compare here to where you are, because none of us are familiar with your area. Is it cheaper for you here? I do not know. I know it costs us less to live here than it did in Maine, and my husband is making the same wage here. Our health insurance is cheaper here for the same benefits. Some food is cheaper, some is more. We pay alot less for electricity here.

The best thing I can suggest is you come out to see NM for yourself, if at all possible. Its a beautiful state but its not for everyone. I guess you can say that about all states.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,271,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaneeds2move View Post
hello again, I have read the information provided thus far and all I can say is thank you for the input.

http://profiles.nationalrelocation.c...rf/]Bettendorf

this is some information about where I live^^^^^^^^ and as stated would like to find something comparable in NM. someone stated there are no "water parks" and that NM might not work well for me. I think that is a little presumptious.
but anyway, I'm interested in stuff to do for myself as well as my gr. kids thats why I listed that as an OPTION, not an absolute recreational choice. as far as "rapid transit" I am just tired of driving and would like to have the option of being able to ride the bus/rail system provided that it does not stop running at 6pm/every 1/2 hr/no wkend service.
big toodles
mama

I tried to follow your link but it is showing an error and won't allow me to access any info.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,021,729 times
Here is the City Data on her home town http://www.city-data.com/city/Bettendorf-Iowa.html

Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 PM

You know I didn't think anyone was being rude, she asked questions with a list of important things to her and we answered the best we could with the info given. Without knowing what her budget is, it is hard to tell her whether she would be able to make it in NM and if it would be a good fit for her. I sure would hate to tell her that this is the land of plenty and all good things and then she get here and it not work out. I certainly didn't feel I was being presumptuous after looking at her list in saying that NM might not be the place for her. The only thing I could state for sure is that she wouldn't find a burning cross in her front yard. If she took offense that certainly wasn't my intention when I posted. And my reference to the cockroach infected building was that I am sure there are some in NM and it is not just limited to the south which was what she referenced. My hubby always tells me to mind my own business and darn if he wasn't right again.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,968,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
NM is a desert, one isn't going to find many water parks. Water is a valuable commodity out here and, even though water parks recycle their water, it will take a lot of water to keep them running.
Not only that, but the evaporation on such park is tremendous. It also cools the water. And with the altitude around 5,000 feet in Rio Rancho, the kids are mostly blue, unless the water is heated, increasing costs and increasing the wasting of water through that evaporation. Betendorf is closer to 600 ft.

Trying to compare them is impossible. Contrast, maybe.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I thought that she got some good answers from folks. I do not find posters in this thread to be rude. Try some of the other forums and you will find NM is the nicest one.

NM is a desert, one isn't going to find many water parks. Water is a valuable commodity out here and, even though water parks recycle their water, it will take alot of water to keep them running.

No one wants a cockroach infested building and I do not believe anyone on here would knowingly direct you to one.

Not knowing your budget, its hard for us to suggest exactly where you should look. We cannot compare here to where you are, because none of us are familiar with your area. Is it cheaper for you here? I do not know. I know it costs us less to live here than it did in Maine, and my husband is making the same wage here. Our health insurance is cheaper here for the same benefits. Some food is cheaper, some is more. We pay alot less for electricity here.

The best thing I can suggest is you come out to see NM for yourself, if at all possible. Its a beautiful state but its not for everyone. I guess you can say that about all states.
Do you really pay less for electricity here? I am assuming from what little I know of Maine that you didn't use electricity for heating. Here my hubby has been trying to convince me that it would be cheaper utility wise to live on the east coast. My hubby actually interviewed for a job in Houlton, and I was so relieved when it fell through. It looks beautiful there but I am a S Texas girl and I would freeze to death with that much snow. My aunt and uncle lived in Machiasport for many years and would bring us the most wonderful lobsters when they came to visit. Was it hard for you to adjust to the heat here? I guess Rio Rancho doesn't get as hot as it does here in Alamo though. I always forget how much cooler it can be the further up in NM you go.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:34 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,068,505 times
nmnita said:

> Why do you want to re-locate? Not that is my business, I am just curious.

Sure it is. The second you post something here it is available to read
by billions of people and likely to be read by thousands of people
and responded to by dozens of people.

karmathecat supposed:

> Maybe this forum draws rudeness, I don't know.

Not at first, but if the OP comes back with indignation over reasonable
suggestions made by people, they tend to respond in kind.

The proper response should have been: "NM might not work for me, but
I'm willing to explore this a little further. Thank you for your observation."

Unfortunately, that was too much to expect, so people "responded."

mamaneeds2move, still refusing to be the least bit conciliatory continued:

> hmmmph, welp. seeing as how presumptuous ... [ ... extremely
> presumptuous definition of "presumptuous" deleted ... ] ...

> ... did mispell it, did not know I was being critiqued by the spelling bee}

That would be the Spelling Police. The Spelling Bee is a contest.
In the Bee, spellers are critiqued by the judges, not the Bee.

Normally, I don't flame for speeling errors, but when someone makes a helpful suggestion and is then told off for doing so, I get touchy. This has happened to me and it shows a definite lack of class. Not showing any contrition about it just confirms that lack of class.

> I asked for information about the area and some amenities ....

Yeah, sure, but why answer your questions? I might suggest a particular apartment and you would come back with some sort of accusation of a hidden agenda - directing you to the "wrong" place. I just can't risk that harm to my little feelings and stuff.

This forum, as well as others, see an endless stream of first-time posters who are moving for some mysterious reason to a place they've never seen and know nothing about. These posters frequently include in their posts that people where they live are all rude and hate them. (I wonder why?) The place they live is the worst place in the world.

They start out with "tell me everything" posts, because they can't be bothered to do some basic research on their own before swooping in on the forum. To my constant irritation, people are always way too nice and volunteer the same information that has been volunteered a jillion times before just to make the newbie feel welcome.

No, people *are* real nice here. ( Not me ) Once a poster has violated that trust by being uppity and, yes, presumptuous, niceness tends to take a back seat. Rightfully so.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,596,160 times
I've never been to Iowa but looking at the town she's from on their web site i'd say the city that it resembles the closest in New Mexico would be Roswell in southeastern New Mexico.

Roswell's population is 50,000 and is flat like Iowa and very green with thick trees all over the city like the way Bettendorf looked on their photo's and while it can't compare to the Mississippi river that goes thru the Quad Cities it does have the Pecos river that goes thru the town and also has water recreation at Bottomless Lakes state park about 10 minutes east of town. It has a large university ENMU-R and has 2 major hospitals known as Eastern New Mexico Medical Center and the Roswell Regional Hospital.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,720,296 times
There's a water park (Wet 'n' Wild) in Anthony, TX, just across the border near El Paso. Lots of people from Las Cruces go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico