Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

Normally, I don't flame for speeling errors, but when someone makes a helpful suggestion and is then told off for doing so, I get touchy. This has happened to me and it shows a definite lack of class. Not showing any contrition about it just confirms that lack of class.

> I asked for information about the area and some amenities ....

Yeah, sure, but why answer your questions? I might suggest a particular apartment and you would come back with some sort of accusation of a hidden agenda - directing you to the "wrong" place. I just can't risk that harm to my little feelings and stuff.

This forum, as well as others, see an endless stream of first-time posters who are moving for some mysterious reason to a place they've never seen and know nothing about. These posters frequently include in their posts that people where they live are all rude and hate them. (I wonder why?) The place they live is the worst place in the world.

They start out with "tell me everything" posts, because they can't be bothered to do some basic research on their own before swooping in on the forum. To my constant irritation, people are always way too nice and volunteer the same information that has been volunteered a jillion times before just to make the newbie feel welcome.

No, people *are* real nice here. ( Not me ) Once a poster has violated that trust by being uppity and, yes, presumptuous, niceness tends to take a back seat. Rightfully so.
Great post, Mort. I couldn't agree more. I was going to make a suggestion, but after her rudeness and apparent huge sense of entitlement, I decided not to bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Do you really pay less for electricity here? I am assuming from what little I know of Maine that you didn't use electricity for heating. Here my hubby has been trying to convince me that it would be cheaper utility wise to live on the east coast. My hubby actually interviewed for a job in Houlton, and I was so relieved when it fell through. It looks beautiful there but I am a S Texas girl and I would freeze to death with that much snow. My aunt and uncle lived in Machiasport for many years and would bring us the most wonderful lobsters when they came to visit. Was it hard for you to adjust to the heat here? I guess Rio Rancho doesn't get as hot as it does here in Alamo though. I always forget how much cooler it can be the further up in NM you go.
Our electric bill in Maine was more than what we pay here for water, gas, electric and sewer combined! Not many heat with electric there as it is so expensive. The kilowatt cost is double what it is here.
The heat here is bearable because its dry. Maine is a very humid state, with humidity well over 65% most days. Since humidity is one of my asthma triggers, as is cold, I had no problems adjusting whatsoever.
Utilities here are much less than on the east coast, and there are more job opportunites out here too.
I did not have long to research our move out here, but I spent every minute I could doing so. I read local newspapers online, googled for info, read posts on here, asked questions, ect. The company that my husband works for was also very helpful giving us information. They told us up front what areas to research online, right down to using Yahoo street view to check out the landscape.
With all the valuable information on the internet, its a huge benefit to be able to research all you can. Of course, nothing beats a visit to the new area, but I wasn't able to do so. I just relied on my husband's word, which I trust after being with him for 35 yrs.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:42 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Our electric bill in Maine was more than what we pay here for water, gas, electric and sewer combined! Not many heat with electric there as it is so expensive. The kilowatt cost is double what it is here.
The heat here is bearable because its dry. Maine is a very humid state, with humidity well over 65% most days. Since humidity is one of my asthma triggers, as is cold, I had no problems adjusting whatsoever.
Utilities here are much less than on the east coast, and there are more job opportunites out here too.
I did not have long to research our move out here, but I spent every minute I could doing so. I read local newspapers online, googled for info, read posts on here, asked questions, ect. The company that my husband works for was also very helpful giving us information. They told us up front what areas to research online, right down to using Yahoo street view to check out the landscape.
With all the valuable information on the internet, its a huge benefit to be able to research all you can. Of course, nothing beats a visit to the new area, but I wasn't able to do so. I just relied on my husband's word, which I trust after being with him for 35 yrs.
We always advise younger agents who are wanting to put in for jobs in other states to research, research, research so that you don't end up making a mistake. My hubby tends to be alittle blind to the problems of the east coast, his family lives in TN, he has been away for 20 yrs and would like to get closer to them. Because of the nature of his job unfortunately about the closest we can get is NOVA/DC. I have been digging my heels in against this move for 2 yrs but I am about out of time, we will probably make that move the summer of 2010. He contends there is so much culture, so much history and we would only be about 6 hrs from his family so the benefits far outweight the negatives. I just keep saying "but it is so expensive there and you will never be home." When you work 10-12 hrs a day with an 1+ hour commute on either end of your day that makes for alot of time away from home and with 3 boys they sure need their Dad around especially our 15 yr old I have researched NOVA until I am blue in the face and we actually spent 5 wks there the summer of 2007 on a detail and while there is alot to do that NM doesn't offer there are definately alot of negatives.

I am glad that NM has worked well for you.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:21 PM

464 posts, read 1,157,322 times
Default Dear mamaneeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaneeds2move View Post
hmmmph, welp. seeing as how presumptuous {and yes, I did mispell it, did not know I was being critiqued by the spelling bee}, means "showing a lack of proper social reserve or readiness to presume in conduct or thought." stating that something might not work for me is an act of presumption. the person stated their opinion about me based upon a post not facts or intimate knowledge.
I asked for information about the area and some amenities that might be family friendly or something that shows that the areas in question are family oriented. I also posted a link on the first page(about my community) hoping that someone would check it out {me being presuptuous) and it would shed some light. I was attempting to be cordial on an internet forum but I see that the wolf pack metality controls things on this forum and I am not in the mood nor do I have the time to find out who is sincere in nature and e-thugs. So never mind assisting me. I also hope the few on here are NOT a true representation of the residents mentality from the state of NM as a whole.

p.s. just think, my neighbor is a member on this forum and stated the people on here appear to be willing to help and are full of information. yeah, that may be so, but the people on here are also full of other things as well.

I have lived in 3 of the Quads in the past and for many year in Illinois. I've not lived in Bettendorf but we had an office there. I read rather fast here through the posts and might have missed this but, have you ever been to New Mexico for a trip? You'd said I believe you must move, I wondered if it was due to health perhaps? (or are ya just plain sick of those horrid winters like this one this year! Whoa it's been bad up there this year for sure! )

Let me say (tho I've not moved to NM yet myself I've spent alot of time there since I was a kid); there is NO comparing Bettendorf to NM. One of the biggest difs would be being able to look down the bluffs there and see the wide Mississippi in your backyard. Plenty of water. Some times too much! I was there for 93- and a few other flood years. Whoa!

Water makes the world go round as far as NM in many ways. You won't find the lush green lawns and dense growth of trees at every turn. Few sprinklers if any in every yard during the dry times. There are the monsoon month during the summer in NM, but never enough to fill the water void in NM.

BUT is it a most goregous state with much to offer. And I believe where you live is what you make of it for the most part.
The population say in Bettendorf that supports a great school system, does not compare to the sparsely populated state of NM. (of which I believe there are approximately 4 million total in NM?) And I'm not saying NM has terrible schools!

If you were to move to one of the NM metro areas such as Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Alamogordo, Albuquerque, It may have some similarities in the living but there is a strong "cultural" aspect to NM as well. You know like say-the Belgians or Germans around Bettendorf and Moline, to some extent but more so in NM for their cultural heritage (just as an example ). I'd get a few history books on the state and read up on that aspect as well, it would give great insight It's a very rich and colorful history.

You'll have your malls (perhaps not as large as Duck Creek for example, maybe a few bigger), parks, historical intersts to investigate, the food alone is a way of life in NM But you can get a McDonalds too if you must LOL.
If you live in the Southern portion of the stae of NM, you can travel to ElPaso for really big city shopping etc and congestion.

Be-fore, you would pick to move to a state such as NM, a Visit is a must.
Life is a different and pleasant pace in NM than you would find even in a medium metro such as QC's.

For the most part, people are people and generally do their best where ever they live imho.

But you really must plan that trip for a look see first.

You'll get a far better sense of what NM is "about", and be able to make some determination for yourself if it's the place to re-root your family.

You may fall in love with it in your first Sunset in NM. Or turn around and head right back to Bettendorf. But YOU will have made the best first step to decide that with a trip, imho.

And no, there are not hog farms or masive corn fields just on the outskirts of town in every direction you could travel as in the QC's LOL (j/k)

So, let me ask again Why NM? And have you ever spent any time in NM before?
I find it helpful to know those answers before folks can give more.

This is an extremely helpful group really And there are many archived threads with answers a plenty from many of them- here to spend time reading up on the state of NM. Then you might formulate some questions that you don't find answers for.

I hope that I've put a little begining perspective on a Bettendorf, Iowa/NM comparision for you.
Read everything online you can about NM, go to the State site and read and perhaps order the Travelers pamphlets packet with maps and all
Read some of the online Newspapers for NM cities.
Check out some real estate site for comparing homes and school districts and communitiy activities.

For me the weather up there was the absolute killer! Winter- snow and cold and winds, and then the Summer heat and humidity combo yuck!
Beautiful Falls and Springs (tho too short and with some wicked tornados!)

But NM has areas with seasonal changes too. Depending on the area and altitude (mountains).

Many reasons to move to NM, and many for many not to move to NM. It's a huge state too
Remember, in much of the case, Water rules in NM.
It's a high desert, mesa and mountain state. Some reading on those terrains might help too.

NM has everything from sort of wide wild west type open spaces to the new soon to be built, Space-port!
Very diverse!

(I'd stomped quite a bit of those grounds and nearby up there for many years, and Boy! I DO sometimes miss a "Country Style" shake, from scratch banana chocolate chip to be exact LOL! Oh yeah )

I don't mean to "spoon feed" but "I" would like, a little more info if that's ok, from you, for us to be even more helpful than we have been

So why has NM crossed your path? Thought I'd ask

Good luck to you,

Tia Dalma (sorry for my typos in my hurry here )

Last edited by TiaDalma; 03-05-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: hmmm, my second edit addition didn't show up!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
.......... But you can get a McDonalds too if you must LOL..........
A cultural difference again......do you prefer red or green chili on your big Mac or quarter pounder with cheese?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
A cultural difference again......do you prefer red or green chili on your big Mac or quarter pounder with cheese?
Don't be ridiculous, only green chile goes on burgers

Old 03-05-2009, 09:55 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Don't be ridiculous, only green chile goes on burgers
Yeah! Red chile is for dipping fries in.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:36 PM

464 posts, read 1,157,322 times
Default Can I have that burger with

Green on the top and red on the side for the fries please LOL You betcha! Mmmmmmm!

(guys, I don't eat McDonald's but, do even "they" serve burgers and fries with chiles if ya want em in NM??! I never thought about that when I've been there LOL)

Tia Dalma

Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaneeds2move View Post
Okay in a nut shell, if those of you would not have attempted to derail/hijack the thread with the unnecessary spell check and thrwarted jokes {which had absolutely NOTHING to do with my questions or topic at hand}, I would not have been put on the defensive. Then when such has occurred, you all want to continue to banter towards me for taking offense. None of you exercised anything that you all are recommending that I should do, so keep your self righteous advice to yourselves. Judge yourselves before judging others and try being objective about it...it might help your vision.
Moving on, seeing as how a few have asked why do I want to move and suggested taking a trip, here goes, I want to move (not NEED) because I have always, always adored the south west. The architecture, the bohemianism, the eclecticism, the inudated (using that term loosely) culture and mix of mexican/americanism. Among other things; the sights, and some of the people I have been blessed to encounter from that part of this great country of ours. I have also enjoyed living in a laid back atmosphere (born and raised in a huge city and did not like it at all). Yes, there are some amenities that I enjoy having at my fingertips (listed them already), but the superficial ones (waterparks and such) are not an absolute. I am a stickler for an execellent school district, social services for women and children (I'm a huge advocate for childrens and womens rights, educational or otherwise). As far as my budget is concerned, I'm ballparking around 2500 per mo {unemployed at the moment}. So if that assist those of you that are truly sincere about what this site represents, I hope it helps you assist me if you feel so much inclined to do so.

p.s. I have been through NM, have visited AZ about 6yrs ago so I know alot has changed. And yes, I am flying down there before I decide upon something concrete. Who just moves sight unseen???

Thanks for your info that makes it alot easier.

AS far as schools go, my kids have been in NM school districts since 2000 when we moved here and unfortunately they are underfunded. I have had 3 in the special ed program but only for speech so not to sure how that compares to what your child needs special ed wise. If I am not mistaken the Rio Rancho school district at the end of last year was asking some of it's teachers to take unpaid leave until they could get their budget worked out, so not to sure how much of an impact that would have on special ed programs. Depending on your financial obligations I know there are probably alot of people in NM at this time who live on $2500 or less a month. You are planning on renting if I understood your post or are you planning on buying? Rents run anywhere from probably $350 and up depending on the area you are in and what you need space wise and ammenities wise, I am sure the more you can pay the more you get just as it would be anywhere. Grocery wise just to give you an idea, milk is running about $2.76 for a gallon of 2% at WalMart, store brand bread about $1.38 and gas is right under $2 a gallon right now depending where you buy it. Water bills tend to be higher here I think because like has been previously posted water is a premium here.

NM is a wonderful state and has the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. If you chose to live here I wish you the best and hope I have been of some help to you.

Las Cruces is a big city, if I am not mistaken the 3rd largest in NM and can get very crowded. My daughter lives there and attends college and when she calls me on her way home I generally have to hear how bad traffic is. It does however offer just about anything you need shopping wise, it does have good doctors and you will see that alot of people who live in the areas surrounding Las Cruces will go there for medical care.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:56 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
Can we all forgive and forget, and start playing nice again. Mamaneeds2move needs some love from this board!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico