Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 03:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out the system here in NM,,,its strange..
I am a retired "sorta of" FF/Medic from the Seattle area.
I live in Fence Lake and am now the Assistant Fire Chief/training officer and seems to be the one that has the EMS experience..

So, I am hearing all kinds of different info re EMS care..

-1 a local ER(on a res) is staffed by EMT's .and they do suturing etc.-
what is this...
where I came from this was unheard of..

2- The closest ambulance is about 1 hr away on a good day
I am not current now...but but...we have had 3 major calls, 2-mva's and 1-medical that I jumped into as no ONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE..
other wise we would of had 4 deaths...BUT I DID NOT GO BEYOND basic first
aid other than 'GIVING 02' and taking vitals and doing my documentation.
I am working on getting re-cert...this is sooo needed down here...pop is over 50 for the most part..

3-the closest ER is a level 4.... if its a major trauma pt. or major medical who decides where the pt. goes...no med control down here for us?

Any info is greatly appreciated...

Seems that I have to get a couple people trained as FR then hopefully get them into a EMT class.

Seems that one cannot go direct to an EMT class without FR first??

I have over 25 years exp. and handled the calls so far...but tried to stay within the BOX if you know what I mean...

Working on grants for funding etc.

Looking for
EMS contacts etc.

Happy trails,

HW aka Fence Lake Ranger aka Fence Lake A/C
pm me at acflfd@rocketmail.com

thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,167 times
Unless something has changed in the last few months they no you don't have to have the F.R before your EMT.
Sounds like you all really have need of a good workover. Do you all run an ambulance ?
We run what for the most part fire and ambulance but do no transports except in very rare situations. We have 4 emt's and about 4 F.R's on board at this time.
Having only a population of around 50 will make it very difficult to get enough people to get qualified by the state to do transports.
I would suggest that you get with your county emergency services coordinator and talk with them. They should be able to give you all the in's and out's of what is needed.
Good luck to you and thanks for giving your time to your community.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 PM

464 posts, read 1,157,432 times
Hi Hunter, let me make sure with one word you used- "res"
You meant- Rez? reservation right?
It might be different now and maybe someone else can add to this but, the Resevations are sort of "self-ruled" and under a Fed. Gov. type category (unless that has changed), Indian Affairs I think would be the sort of website to check. Maybe give you more information to sort it out or who to call?

So with such a possible goverment "overlaping" there might be issues with whom does what. (and who gets the funds etc.) (and there should not be in an emergency, imho)

I certainly wish you all the best with this and trying to possibly make things "work" and get them organized.
ALL of the people of the area deserve it. My thanks to you for your interest and initiative and hopes to help sort it out and get it on the right path possibly!

Much luck to you!

Tia Dalma

Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM

390 posts, read 952,121 times
Just from my experience and I am retired Air Force and an education trained trauma nurse. The trauma care in Gallup is excellent. They really know how to package and transport. Know your trauma services in Albuq and the Phoenix so that you can call directly and call in helicopter transport services. We are a rural state and you will loose some patients due to time restraints, but those are the facts of life. UNM offers excellent trauma courses and keep yourself updated. Some folks you are not going to keep alive but you have at least, given them their best shot. We have all chosen this life style and we know the results. Folks out here also have a little different outlook. We would rather be here than say Albuq and the stress of living in the city. You are doing a wonderful service but just remember you can't save everyone. I think about this lady who was attacked by a chimp. Please don't put me thru that medical nightmare. I don't want to live with half a brain and be dependent on others. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job but sit back and relax . Life is fragile and we all know it. Hope I haven't sounded too harsh.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Hope I haven't sounded too harsh.

No. It was an honest and well-thought-out post, IMHO.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 PM

261 posts, read 936,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
Life is fragile and we all know it. Hope I haven't sounded too harsh.

Nope. Why folks move to the middle of nowhere and then are surprised to find out there isn't a Starbuck's or first class emergency care is beyond me.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:39 PM

Thank you Cathy. Sometimes it is a very difficult decision. EMT's are educated to do everything to save a life and transport. Trauma nurses are taught to know the difference and give comfort to those they cannot save. Can't tell you how many hands I have held and patients in my arms.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
Thank you Cathy. Sometimes it is a very difficult decision. EMT's are educated to do everything to save a life and transport. Trauma nurses are taught to know the difference and give comfort to those they cannot save. Can't tell you how many hands I have held and patients in my arms.
I cannot even imagine how difficult that must be. Thank you for what you do.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Nope. Why folks move to the middle of nowhere and then are surprised to find out there isn't a Starbuck's or first class emergency care is beyond me.
By the way, you also have an excellent ER in Farmington. They package and ship quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico